Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

954 front..cut stock vtr fairing to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
954 front..cut stock vtr fairing to fit?

I just tried to install my stock vtr fairing on my new 954 front setup. It appears that I will have to remove the black molded shelf-y pieces on the right and left interior of the stock fairing and maybe cut a lot of the horizontal, flat section immediately below the handgrips. The black sections hit the moved rads and the flat section is in the way of my clipons now.
Anyone out there have to do similar or some other mods?
I'd love to hear the concensus before cutting.....
Old 12-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
What kind of clip-ons? Are you using a full 954 setup (incl) forks?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I had to trim the interior of the lower portion of the fairing to clear the lower RC51 triple - I think any USD fork with a gullwing lower triple will have this issue. Check out the newly created white paper on fork swaps just put in this week.

I have NOT heard of ANYONE cutting or digging into the flat section on the top of the fairing - so don't do this. there have been lots of posts about various clipon bar options, fork positioning in the clamps to get around this.

bill
Old 12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I didn't have to cut anything, but I didn't move the radiators and didn't use clipons. If you have to cut the flat part of the fairing I would think that your clipons are too low.

I guess my post is of no use at all to you, but it does help to get my post count up.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Superstock

Thanks guys....
Tweety...yes 954 triples and forks
Cliby...that'swhy I asked...forks are flush with top triples ans clipons are up top too so no repositioning will help
Killer....thanks anyway...all answers are valid

Upon closer inspection and wrangling....the black ducting piece does not have to be trimmed. The flat parts do. As soon as I go half way to lock, the bottom of the brake lever pivot nut hits there. I removed all fairing mounts so it could "move" and to get full lock to the right, the nut moves the fairing down a good inch. I will have to cut an oval slot in the fairing to allow those parts to swing to lock. The clipons place the bars at just above top triple height but it IS the gullwing triple. I like the bar position and to get them any higher VERY tall riser bars or superbike bars would be needed. I am not all that worried about cutting the fairing as this is my function/rider bike...my other bike is mr bling.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Superstock

DANG!!!!!!!!$%^&*() I just broke the banjo end off of one my front brake lines. Tweaking will do that sometimes. Just got my new radiator and fairing pieces and now this. Will I ever ride again?
ANyone have an extra SS front brake line? I don't care what color. Should be 29" long with banjo at each end.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey redman,

I do not have any right now but I will in the future. I just ordered some custom length Galfers for my front end swap. Rc-51 +1.5" I have the lines that I had on my original front end but they are still installed. And I am going skiing for a week tomorrow.

My old lines that are on right now are long on the front end swap and are red Fastline brake lines.

Later Dennis
Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Hey KC, if redman does not want the red lines I'll throw ya a few bones for em...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
You do have to trim the lower flat section of the fairing. I think that's what you're talking about. The lower triple clamp won't clear the farinig.

No mod necessary to the black ductwork. I recommend not removing it, because it blows cool air on your legs and displaces the hot radiator air. Nice on a hot day.

I didn't move the radiators at all.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
You do have to trim the lower flat section of the fairing. I think that's what you're talking about. The lower triple clamp won't clear the farinig.
I don't think that's what he's talking about because he used a 954 lower triple which will clear the fairing. To me it sounds like he's talking about the flat sections of the fairing just beneath the handlebars. Personally, I would devise a better (higher) handlebar setup.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Back Marker

Hey Super,

He just pm'd me and has first dibs on them. They are a little long but work that is why I am taking them off. Well they are long on my RC swap is what I should say.

later Dennis

Last edited by KC-10ENG; 12-19-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Superstock

Yep, it's the spot just below the bars.. I'll tinker today after work and see what else I can do...or dremel a slot and be done with it.
Can't wait to go for a ride. It's been three months since crunch of ankle and bike. Ankle is 90% back...bike too...:-)
Dennis, I'll call you next Sunday
Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Back Marker

Cool!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Clip-ons and Geometry

Redman,
Which Clip-ons are you using? I am assuming 929/954 at the moment, and that they are mounted the normal way.

Do you have the wheel on and have you checked out the Geometry? How far down has the front dropped with this set-up? If you were to use a RC51 top tripple, would it allow for better clearance of the clip-on? Would raising the forks in the tripples and mounting the clipon above the tripple adversely effect the geometry?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

The 954 forks he's using are not long enough to use with an RC51 to triple, or with the forks pushed up in the triple and the bars mounted above. Yes, it will adversely affect geometry.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Back Marker

Do you know the geometric difference between the stock VTR, and VTR with 954 front? I am doing this mod, and will measure everything, unless this has been done, then I won't waste too much time doing it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

I didn't spend a lot of time measuring mine because it had been done by many others and was known to work, but the difference in ride height, if I remember correctly, was about 1/2" (the VTR is higher). Since the VTR works better with the forks pushed up a few millimeters in the triples to lower front ride height, and with the rear end raised a bit to raise rear ride height, the real world difference is even less. I did take a little out of the spacer on the shock mount because I thought the bike turned a bit too quickly when I first installed the 954 front end. It works well now; it turns quickly but isn't twitchy or nervous or unstable at all.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Superstock

xxxxxx

well my last reply disappeared#$%^&*()
here goes again....
I didn't measure my stock ride height either....wish I had, just to know. Anyway, it looks a bit lower in front and I was already thinking of taking out the washers I had put in at the top of the rear shock mount because with the stock front it was quite inclined and now.....very much so. So...guess I will.
My clipons I bought used for $100...seems I got a good deal. They are well made and adjust all over the place and feel very solid when clamped tight......go here for info
http://www.cyclecat.com/BRFeatures1.htm
$300-600 is too much for me but as I said I paid $100 and will stick with them. I just went down and took a couple pix...here they are....
Attached Thumbnails 954 front..cut stock vtr fairing to fit?-clipons-001.jpg   954 front..cut stock vtr fairing to fit?-clipons-002.jpg   954 front..cut stock vtr fairing to fit?-clipons-003.jpg  
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
From looking at your pics, it looks like your levers are angles "very" downward... I know it's personal preference, I have mine at a slight angle downward from straight forward... it looks like if you angle them up a bit, you wont have those clearance issues.

J.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:27 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
AHhh... on second look it looks like the angle you have is due to the type of clipns you have an interference with the reservoirs on both the clutch and brake... Personally, I'd EBAY the clipons and by another style rather than clip away at the fairing.

I used a set of Ducati 900SS Helis I got off Ebay for 100.... they would work perfect for this application if you can find a set.

J.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Superstock

I'll rotate them a bit and see if I like the feel before any cutting...
Old 12-20-2007, 12:29 AM
SuperBike

I'll second the opinion that it looks like your levers are rotated down more than most riders prefer.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Back Marker

I agree with the angle of the dangle. The other thing I notice is that it looks like you could swap the clip ons side for side. If they were on opposite sides they appear as if they would have different clearances. Is that possible?