Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
will these cbr600f4i calipers work with the RC51 MC or better with the stock VTR mc, or will they fit at all OR should I just get the RC51 calipers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-06...em330203129164

what about the HONDA CBR 600RR 929 954 FRONT BRAKE CALIPERs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...ayphotohosting

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-16-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The calipers combined with what M/C has been rather extensively discussed in this thread... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13176
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
AHAH! I see from the pix that whatever those clipons are, they are forward of the fork tubes. Mine can use many mcs and such, but do not hit anything up top, gauges or otherwise. Mine point at the fork tubes. Maybe a little forward of center but further back than yours. THAT is your problem. I'll try and take a pic for you shortly....
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Superstock

OK, upon closer inspection...a little more forward than center but much further back than yours. Everyting is very close at full lock but no touchy. These are Cycle cat clipons and adjust in many directions. Very $$$ new but I got them for 100 used.
Attached Thumbnails 929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-small1.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-small2.jpg  
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
The calipers combined with what M/C has been rather extensively discussed in this thread... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13176
Thanks. So the F4i calipers are basically the same as the 00~01 calipers (other than being blacK)? ...but do the f4i calipers have to be milled for both mounting bolt hole areas or just the lower bolt like the RC51?

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-16-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Thanks. So the F4i calipers are basically the same as the 00~01 calipers (other than being blacK)? ...but do the f4i calipers have to be milled for both mounting bolt hole areas or just the lower bolt like the RC51?
They're externally identical to the 954, RC51, 929, 600RR and some other calipers. The piston sizes differ from model to model (detailed in another thread). They need to be milled a little to clear the mounting bracket on the VTR fork, but it's not at the bolt holes it's in the middle of the caliper on the underside. Somewhere there's a thread with detailed pictures.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by killer5280
They're externally identical to the 954, RC51, 929, 600RR and some other calipers. The piston sizes differ from model to model (detailed in another thread). They need to be milled a little to clear the mounting bracket on the VTR fork, but it's not at the bolt holes it's in the middle of the caliper on the underside. Somewhere there's a thread with detailed pictures.
Yes, thats what I mean. The early RC51 and f4i calipers have the same size caliper pistons per the other thread, just the f4i calipers are black; which may not be a bad thing hiding brake dust. They are a 2006 4fi calipers on a $50 "buy it now" deal, is that a good price? I already have a RC51 MC...

Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Quit hijacking my thread here, can't you see that I have serious issues!? JK, I posted another thread (hint look in my profile at other threads that I have started) and it links all kinds of information about front end swapping. There is also a thread called "bolt on brake mods" or something similar that tells you the difference between master cylinders and caliper piston sizes.

Also,
Do we abandon the bottom "peg" radiator mount? Or is is supposed to be relocated as well?

Last edited by fundgh; 01-16-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I left mine off (only because I forgot about it) and havn't had any problems.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Back Marker

An update from the SWAP progress...none.

I started into the shift kit since I am kinda stuck on the bar situation and need to paint my tank and plastics and its too damn cold to paint. BUT, as stated in another thread I broke 2 of the clutch spring bolts off in the clutch, so I am waiting for parts. I did get the brake rotors and calipers locktited and torqued. I am waiting for pads (I ordered two sets of rears instead of fronts, DOH!) and the brakes will be done.

I decided to go with a Handle Bar, or possibly a swappable kit! After messing with the 954 clipons, I have measured my steering angle at 25 degrees in either direction, and that would be ok for riding at the track, but not acceptable for manuevering around town/garage, parking, riding 2-up, etc. So I bought some SICK Pro Taper bar mounts, and I even bought a Pro Taper bar (Just in case I decide to street fighter it, or in the off chance it fits), which I can throw on my dirtbike if it doesn't work on the Hawk.

SO today I made the spacers (I went the complete ghetto route and used steel tubing and will paint it or find aluminum to replace it once it is mocked up), and will drill the tripple tonight.

Once the tank is painted, I will do some test riding.

The project continues....
Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Squid

flyingeyepro is on a distinguished road
I'd love to see pictures of the mounts.

Thanx
Chris
Old 02-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Squid

karlosvtr is on a distinguished road
http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

will this help someone?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Back Marker

New Progress

I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks and haven't really done any new work. But since my last post, there have been some breakthroughs.

-I drilled and installed Pro Taper 1 1/8" clamps and quickly discovered that the PRo-taper bar had ZERO chance of working without new cables and fluid lines and removing the fairing. So I ordered super-bike bars and tried to acquire some spacers for the the 1 1/8" bars to be able to use 7/8". Well they are backordered for 6 months, but I figured I would just fabricate my own. Well, I just scored big time and have changed my plan yet again. I found some 929 Helibars in my home town that have never been installed and they are black for a smoking deal of $125. SO, I snatched them up as soon as I returned to the US, and I am ready to get back to the action. I will abandon the idea of using the superbike bar, and now have 3 unused handlebar solutions.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by fundgh
I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks and haven't really done any new work. But since my last post, there have been some breakthroughs.

-I drilled and installed Pro Taper 1 1/8" clamps and quickly discovered that the PRo-taper bar had ZERO chance of working without new cables and fluid lines and removing the fairing. So I ordered super-bike bars and tried to acquire some spacers for the the 1 1/8" bars to be able to use 7/8". Well they are backordered for 6 months, but I figured I would just fabricate my own. Well, I just scored big time and have changed my plan yet again. I found some 929 Helibars in my home town that have never been installed and they are black for a smoking deal of $125. SO, I snatched them up as soon as I returned to the US, and I am ready to get back to the action. I will abandon the idea of using the superbike bar, and now have 3 unused handlebar solutions.
never mind

Last edited by skokievtr; 02-25-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Back Marker

Make it 4 unusable handle bar solutions!!

As has been stated in another thread, the 929 Heli's don't quite work either. They were the most promising solution I have seen yet, right up until I put the throttle on. These things clear everything nicely, and the first point of impact would be the pinch bolts on the frame which gives a good steering lock....BUT, the throttle housing tubes hit the fairing with hardly any right turn induced. I am about to throw my hands in the air. I have spent $400+ on different Clip-on and Handlebar solutions. I could have bought some of the adjustable bars and been about even. Because my fairing is in poor condition as it is, and I am going to be painting it. I am thinking that I will just cut relief zones into the fairing that allows the tubes to clear.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
See if you can find some Ducati 900SS Helis (got mine on EBAY for 100).... That's what I'm using and the bars net out almost exactley were my old VFR bars did height and angle wise, although a bit wider (do to the wider forks)... All the controls clear, except for the stupid headlight switch that goes to high beam when turn full right.

I have pics at home, if you interested LMK, and I'll post up.

J.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Back Marker

Post pics!

Being that I only need a 1/4 of an inch at most, I am going to try to bend the throttle housing tubes a little bit, and possibly raise the tripple clamp and clip-ons a tad, and see what I can do. There even appears to be a 1/16th of extra material on the bottom of the fork clamps that I may grind off to be able to raise the clip-ons a little bit. If I can gain a 16th here and 16th there, it all adds up!

Last edited by fundgh; 02-26-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Slowhawk, I know you sent me several emails on this topic but I never thought to ask what year 900SS? Can you clarify, please? Thanks,
Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
SuperSport

Hey guys...

Here are pics of the 900SS helis on my RC front end. You can see, even if I was running the 929/954 triple that I'd still be able to put the bars in exactley the same spot, as I have them about 13mm room between the lower triple and the bottom edge of the upper triple. This location was the blend between as high as I could go without hitting everything, and not having the cables bind.

As for the year the bars are from.... I don't remember... I'm pretty sure they were a early model (1999-2001ish) but you'd need to take a look first. I did a search on EBAY for race clips for the RC (woodcraft or any other brand), then just look at what other bikes those fit as well as they fit like 30 bikes (all the same 50mm diameter)... the SS Duc was listed, and I knew they were pretty talk in stock form, the helis were just a bonus.

J.

BTW... Don't bother with 99 GSXR 750 helis.... too short.... as I have a set of those as well!!!
Attached Thumbnails 929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2426.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2429.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2430.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2431.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2436.jpg  

Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
SuperBike

ever tried putting the left on right & visaversa? just a thought...to get em back
Old 02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by skokievtr
ever tried putting the left on right & visaversa? just a thought...to get em back
I don't know if that post was about my pics... but if it was, I probably should have stated they are showing the bars at "full" turn right and left, and how they clear the fairings and gauges. I've attached 2 more showing the bar placement with the steering "straight ahead".

J.
Attached Thumbnails 929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2424.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-img_2425.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Back Marker

929 Heli's

Some snaps I just took.
Attached Thumbnails 929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-dscn3111.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-dscn3113.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-dscn3114.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 PM
SuperSport

From the looks of things it seems the issues are 2 fold.... first the 929/954 front end with upper triple mounts bit shorter/lower than the RC setup... and those helis aren't very tall in comparsion to the Duc ones I used...

I don't know what your geometry is like, but if you were able to use the RC upper triple, requiring you to slide the forks up another 13mm (approx) you may be able to use the bars you have.... although i don't know if your steering geometry would go out of whack.

J.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
SuperSport

Oh.... one other option.... (I'm planning on doing this with the 2nd bike I'm working on now) I talked to guys at Heli... and was told the bars are made of mild steel. I plan on cutting the short GSXR helis I have, and adding a "shim" piece of tubing in the middle to get the height exactley where I want them... then welding them back up.... It's a bit of work to do on the labor side, but if you can do it yourself, may be a way of using what you have instead of spending more.

J.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator
World Champion

fundgh,

How about pulling off your throttle tube, drilling a locating hole about 30° CCW (looking at the barend), and then putting it all back together? That would give you the clearance on the throttle cables that you need to clear the fairing.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Back Marker

Right now the throttle is rotated as far CCW as I feel that it can go with interfering with the brake lever. If I knew exactly the furthest in the lever will be able to be pulled when the brakes are filled and blead, then I might be able to rotate it even further. I don't have a reservoir at the moment so I can't do that. If someone can post a measurement of their fully compressed lever to the grip, I could at least look into it.

I could cut and weld. I have the skills and tools, but no desire to start messing with perfectly new Helibars.

Since I already drilled holes in the top triple clamp for a handlebar, I have considered a new top triple and if the geometry wouldn't be horrible, I would look for an RC51 item. But I am concerned about dropping the front end that much more. I already have clearance issues and I am not sure if the steering would be too quick or unstable.

At this point I will get it ride-able as is, and deal with reduce right hand steering lock. Then I could test moving the forks up. I can feel how the ergonomics are and if I would prefer higher bars. I am already concerned that they are getting too high and too wide for trackday use, and would not want to go any higher and wider than necessary. I would rather sacrifice the looks for performance. So if I have to cut the fairing to fit the ideal clip-on, that just may be what I do.

If I could get a different throttle setup that worked above the clip-ons that would be great. I tried flipping the stocker over, but the cables aren't long enough. Anybody have a quick link or solution for 3-4 inch longer cables?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Another suggestion: There was a guy who did a fork swap and lowered the fairing to allow the controls to clear. This may be better than trimming it.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Back Marker

Lowering the fairing

Lower the fairing huh? I actually thought about that, or even trying to retrofit some other bike's bodywork, but thought is just asking for too much work. Lowering it could be doable. Let me think. Change the fairing stays (the little ones) either their rotation or using relocating tabs. Then, I guess the easiest way to deal with the front would be to slot the holes for the main stay which would lower the gauges, fairing, and headlight.

I have been playing with a plastic welding device to repair the broken part of this fairing and I am going to paint it, so I am not afraid to try to "modify" it. I may use the welder to heat and soften the point of contact and press a bit of relief contour into it. I don't have much to lose.
Attached Thumbnails 929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-dscn3133.jpg   929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH-dscn3134.jpg  
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Looks like you might want more penetration on that...but then don't we all!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Superstock

I had www.motionpro.com make me new throttle cables at 3" longer than stock. $70 delivered and fit perfectly. All is well now.

Quick Reply: 929/954 Front End Swap - FunDGH