Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

6-piston front brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
6-piston front brake swap

Just completed the 01'-02' GSXR 1000 front brake caliper mod. It was worth it. Got a set of used calipers on e-bay after several times of trying not to be out bid or paying too much. Bought two sets of Galfer pads at Cycle Gear to insure that it will seat properly on my discs. Had my SS brake lines already mounted on stock calipers so it was an easy install. I took my time and bled them by hand and made sure to flush them out good well beyond removing any air bubbles. Nice and clean fluid. Took it out last night to brake in the pads and I can say that it feels so much better than stock. I'm a one-finger braker and it takes less pressure on the lever and provides more braking power. If you have not done this mod or are considering it, I say do it. While there are other brake mods you can do this one is an easy fit that yields great results.
Attached Thumbnails 6-piston front brake swap-stock-fr.-brakes.jpg   6-piston front brake swap-gixxer-fr.-brakes.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
im really considering doing this...but with gsxr600 or 750 4 pots rather than the pricey 6 pots. i feel like id still get pretty damn good braking with the 4 pots anyways.

wait, what MC are you running? the gsxr1k MC? or a honda/nissin MC?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Did you keep the hawk MC or did you did you swap that too? What did you pay for the calipers?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
I got the calipers, pads, lines, stay clips, lever and MC from e-bay for $125. I looked around and saw that other auctions were going for about the same price for just the calipers. So I won the auction. I have been looking for a while at doing this mod. So I sold a few things I had laying around and put the money toward the SH. I look at it as free money. I know that they can be bought for a little less if you hunt around but hey, I wanted it now and I'm worth it. I used the stock Honda MC cause the Suzuki MC was missing the reservoir. I may look for one and try it to see the difference. To recoupe some of my expenses I might re-sell some of the parts I don't use. Not in a big hurry though.

Last edited by motojoe; 08-11-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Replacing the stock M/C will improve your braking power more than replacing the calipers.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Replacing the stock M/C will improve your braking power more than replacing the calipers.
Yeah... The stock MC is more than a little wimpy...

Get the VTR res on the suka MC and you won't ever need more than one finger... using a full hand on a set of CBR1000RR radials (calipers + MC) is asking for trouble... Two fingers is considered emergency brake...
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Superstock

when i installed new SS lines on my rc51 with new pads at the same time, i had the same feeling...HOLY CRAP two fingers is too much! lol. with 2 track days and a ton of heat (the track was 110°F pretty easily) the pads are worn pretty well and fluid is starting to brown. still, 2 fingers is ALOT of brakes on the rc, i couldnt even imagine how nuts it would be on the hawk with a LIGHTER bike and RADIAL brakes from a 1000rr...SHEESH!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just to let you know, SS lines are pretty much the equivalent of brand new stock rubber lines. The advantage is they do not expand over time like the stock lines do.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The first mod I did Joe and the best at reeling this beast in. It doesn't make any difference how fast it will go - it's how good it stops so we can go again!

I did calipers, pads, lines - never did the MC although I have one. I can do stoppies at a hundred with no fade.

The RC51's make great donors for this mod and are widely available for less money than the gixxers.

Joe's right - he bought the whole package for what the calipers normally cost by themselves! Bravo!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Superstock

no doubt nick, but when you're running stock lines from 2000 that have been sun baked by the previous owner, ss lines make a huge difference.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Superstock

@nuhawk: pre-radial gsxr600/750 calps and possibly even f4i calps might be cheaper than rc51 calps. since having to cruise ebay for parts, most rc51 parts get a pretty decent markup due to demand. f4i calps are essentially the same, just black instead of gold on the rc51 calps
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
I did the GSXR caliper swap, but the braking power ins't up to 2 finger instant stop. I'm thinking it has something to do with the master cylinder. Right now I have the Superhawk (2005) stock MC. Anyone have an extra 2001-2002 GSXR1000 front brake master cylinder?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

I'm gonna look and see if the reservoir from the stock MC will fit the Suzuki MC. If it does, I'll post up and let you know how it feels. I'll need a new Suz lever though, this one is bent a tad and scratched. I'm sure it came off a wrecked bike.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
keep us posted im interested in what your doing with this m/c

so do the 01-02 calipers fit?

i read in another post that it was 00-01 gixxer calipers? so which is it, or is it 00, 01 and 02?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
best way is to check the parts fiche avail all over the internet. Compare the part numbers to make sure but IRC it's the 98 to 01 gixxer calipers that bolt right on.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
this is great. will this same swap work on my 01 firestorm?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
does anyone know if bussa calipers fit the vtr?

they seem to be teh same as the gsxr ones, also some ninjas seem to have the same 6 pot tokicos.

are our calipers 90mm between teh mounting holes?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

No it won't. It's different.