Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

520/530 setup comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
520/530 setup comparison

What's the main reason riders go to 520? Just for weight reduction? Maybe a few pounds or so? I'm trying to decide if its worth switching to 520 since I'll be getting a new chain soon.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Yes, weight reduction would be the main reason, including on the sprockets. They don't have to be as beefy as the 530.
The 520 may last a bit less, but it is insignificant compared with the benefit of weight reduction.

Got to warn you though, this thread may very easily turn into something like the oil threads, lot's of opinions and most are correct in their own kinda way

If you do go for the 520, take the better ones, don't get the cheap crap.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

What setup are you using? I was gonna go with one of these sprockets but haven't decided yet.

Super Bike Supply - Your source for sportbike parts and accessories geared for racing and street bikes and their owners. : -

JT 530 Rear Sprocket Honda VTR 1000 F 1998 2004 43T | eBay
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
Got to warn you though, this thread may very easily turn into something like the oil threads, lot's of opinions and most are correct in their own kinda way

If you do go for the 520, take the better ones, don't get the cheap crap.
Yep... I'll start us off nicely though with a few of the non-controversial ones... A 520 chain is fairly close to the limit in as what amount of torque is recommended for on the VTR, so like NHSH said, don't go cheap on it, get a good quality chain from a reputable manufacturer, not no-name...

When you are looking for weight savings in the drive train, going 530->520 is a good idea... Going for an aluminium rear sprocket usually is not, at least not on the VTR, as it tends to eat them up in a very short time due to the torque... If you do want a lightweight sprocket, the really, really expensive ones that are dual metal with an aluminium or titanium center and steel teeth are the only feasible options, so not really cost effective...

When you swap the chain, swap the entire package, putting a new chain on old sprockets makes the chain wear out faster, so in the end it's not good for longeviety or your wallet...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

Thx Tweety. I like the idea of keeping strength of 530, but the 520 set is a bit cheaper, and of course lighter. As in my previous post the links i provided I was gonna go with an aluminum center and steel tooth combo. Is the weight reduction really that much to give up the strength and longevity of 530?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
MotoGP

For me personally, I have gone with a dual metal 530 rear sprocket... Mostly because my engine has been properly worked over, and giving out a fair amount more than stock bhp, so I'd not feel comfortable with a 520 chain... And since I'm running much lighter wheels than stock, I doubt the difference is noticable really...

But, on a stock bike, the difference in longeviety shouldn't really be a problem... It's more a question of preference than anything else...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Curious why a SH would eat sprockets faster than anything else. V-2's have a far smoother power output over I4's (except Yamaha's cross plane) due to the piston's start/stop inertia cancelling each other out. Torque at the crank is offset by gear ratios so torque at the wheel is probably pretty close to the same from even a 600 I-4 (they accelerate just as fast) to the SH.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I went from a 520, 15x43 vortech aluminum rear to a 530 16x41 steel rear and gained around 8 lbs
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I use ONLY mobil 1 pure synthetic on my 533 chain......

Actually, I got a 520 conversion setup over the winter but it looks like my 530 just wont fully wear out! I refuse to swap until absolutely needed.

I have done the swap on other bikes and its similar in feel to lightening the flywheel. So much less inertia in driven components. Modern good quality 520s have similar ratings to what the 530s offered when the hawk was born.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
Curious why a SH would eat sprockets faster than anything else. V-2's have a far smoother power output over I4's (except Yamaha's cross plane) due to the piston's start/stop inertia cancelling each other out. Torque at the crank is offset by gear ratios so torque at the wheel is probably pretty close to the same from even a 600 I-4 (they accelerate just as fast) to the SH.
Probably the engine-braking, which is loads more than any I4 I have ever ridden. Gotta be wearing out both sides of the teeth and stretching the chain a lot more under accel and decel.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:30 PM
MotoGP

Yeah as far as wear out, think about the logistics. You wack the throttle at low rpm on the hawk and get gobs of torque. To get anywhere near that kind of thrust on a 600 you have to be fluttering every shift at redline.

Listen close next time you see a 600. They rarely do this. I was a very aggressive 600 rider but there just isnt room in this world (mine anyway) to constantly wind it out.

The vtr, OTOH, you can wheelie while still staying behind the car in front of you through town. Its like night and day available power.

I would say nearly double the 600s thrust til the upper rpms. Which are rarely used.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 05-13-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Actually it has to do with the 270-450 firing order.

The long pause and then a high torque power hit tends to "yank" the chain pretty hard.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 AM
MotoGP

I'd say you guys are all right... And combined, those reasons sure are enough to chew up and spit out alu sprockets all day long... They simply don't last on a VTR, I have tried it, and regretted it...
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
I'd say you guys are all right... And combined, those reasons sure are enough to chew up and spit out alu sprockets all day long... They simply don't last on a VTR, I have tried it, and regretted it...
+1 no need to add more reasons
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Yeah for sure, I would never put an aluminum sprocket on this bike unless stranded and it was my only way home.

I had one on my race bike it took no time to go from sprocket look to brake disc. Pretty scary how fast the desintegrate.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
The 520 may last a bit less, but it is insignificant compared with the benefit of weight reduction.
This statement could be flipped... "The 520 may weigh a bit less but it is insignificant compared to the benefit of durability and longevity."

I'm not saying either is right; it just depends on your preferences. 530 is what I chose to run... at the price of losing rotational mass I went with a more durable setup. Commuting in dusty AZ heat with only moderate chain maintenance, I need all the help I can get, haha!

If I were riding on a track or spitting through canyons on weekends or even had more prudent maintenance habits, I would consider 520.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
Based on some of the advice here and on other threads, I decided to go with a 16/42 Steel sprocket setup with a D.I.D. 530 X-ring chain. I want to run a shorter wheel base, so I hope I am correct in assuming that this will run with a 102 links?

~Jon
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM
MotoGP

Yep. Stock 102 will work with 16/41, 16/42 and 16/43, with shorter wheelbases respectively.

Edit: For my bike I have run 16/41, 42, 43 & 15/43 (from what the PO put on there) and ended up liking 16/42 for my riding best.

Last edited by 7moore7; 05-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Squid

Isn't stock 104?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
MotoGP

I most definitely was not thinking there. You're right. Stock is 104. Not sure if 102 would work, something tells me it wouldn't... I could guess pretty close if I measured how much available adjustment I had left on my bike.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Superstock
Superstock

95% certain that stock chain length is 102 links.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
102 link is stock
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Stock is 102 links.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
MotoGP

I quit, and plead the mondays
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Squid

Dido!! ^^^^^^^
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
V-2's have a far smoother power output over I4's (except Yamaha's cross plane) due to the piston's start/stop inertia cancelling each other out. Torque at the crank is offset by gear ratios so torque at the wheel is probably pretty close to the same from even a 600 I-4 (they accelerate just as fast) to the SH.
This is so not the case. Let any Vtwin lug down to say 1500-2000 rpm and roll on the throttle. You'll feel a very distinct jerkiness and the SH's are very prone to this. Any I4 you lug down like that may churn a bit but is WAY smoother. It's because you have a piston firing every 180° vs. an average of one every 360° on an twin. The offset Hawk mentioned just exacerbates the problem. Also the power pulses are 1/4 the total power on an I4 vs 1/2 the power on a V twin further making the V twin a jerkier engine and these pulsations put a ton of stress on the chain.

To the OP that being said if you have to ask about the benefits you're probably not riding your bike in such a way that you'll notice them. If you were going to have it as a track bike and looking for every advantage and didn't care about longevity then I'd say go for it. However if you're going to be riding it on a daily basis and want it to last as long as possible go for a good quality 530 that it sounds like you got.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Superstock
Superstock

I don't know that the firing order has that effect, plus most high performance i4's are extremely weak at low rpm. There have been twins for decades and if this were a real problem engineers would have done something to address it (special cush drive, etc.). I think how hard the owner rides and the level of care they apply has a greater effect on wear life. I can't imagine a 520 chain would survive long enough that anyone would choose it if these engines were significantly tougher on them.

The v2 have also held an advantage in racing for their smoother drive off of corners as well as being less hard on the tire.

Last edited by davidka; 05-25-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM
SuperBike

I don't know that the firing order has that effect, plus most high performance i4's are extremely weak at low rpm. There have been twins for decades and if this were a real problem engineers would have done something to address it (special cush drive, etc.). I think how hard the owner rides and the level of care they apply has a greater effect on wear life. I can't imagine a 520 chain would survive long enough that anyone would choose it if these engines were significantly tougher on them.

The v2 have also held an advantage in racing for their smoother drive off of corners as well as being less hard on the tire.
It's all about the rider at the end of the day
Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned
MotoGP

I don't know that the firing order has that effect, plus most high performance i4's are extremely weak at low rpm.
The firing order has everything to do with it and the power made at the bottom end really doesn't make that much difference.

There have been twins for decades and if this were a real problem engineers would have done something to address it (special cush drive, etc.).
They will get to it as soon as they make a high grip tire that last for 10k miles. As everything is a trade off, lets look at your cush drive idea. If they make them softer, to take the shock, then you will have excessive drive line lash. Make them harder and you transfer the load to the transmission gears.

Though I'm sure they would like to hear your ideas on how to address this problem.

I think how hard the owner rides and the level of care they apply has a greater effect on wear life. I can't imagine a 520 chain would survive long enough that anyone would choose it if these engines were significantly tougher on them.
Yes keeping things clean will affect the life of any chain & sprocket combo.

Not sure what you are saying with your last point but put a "budget" or "cheap" 520 chain on a SH and if will get destroyed in short order.

If you don't believe this, try it for yourself.

Do you understand why this happens? It has to do with the firing order and the "trade off" you always get.

We will use your example of drive off the corner.

Let's start with a I4, it is common to spin the rear tire up due to the constant power delivery cause buy the I4 firing order.

This is hard on the tire but easy on the chain.

With a V2, driving out of the same corner, you have less tire spin as every time the engine is "coasting" for over 360 degrees of crank rotation the tire hooks up again.

This gives better traction and also allows the tire to run cooler which allows the tire to last longer.

or in the classic trade off:

This is hard on the chain but easy on the tire.

It is also why a AL rear sprocket will work fine on a I4 but will have a very short life on a V2.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 AM
MotoGP

FWIW, aluminum sprockets are very soft and wont last agianst the hardened chain for more than a minute on any bike.

Quick Reply: 520/530 setup comparison