Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!

Well, I've been waiting to finish up this project before starting a thread about it, but I am just a little eager to get them on the bike. So here it is, a 320mm oversized rotor kit from a CBR900RR adapted to my VTR. I picked them up in poor condition, used from a seller on eBay, but with a bit of elbow grease I got them looking decent again. Of course it was a straight bolt on affair for the most-part, but like the F4i calipers, the brackets had to be clearance to fit on the VTR forks. I would of liked to of had the carriers anodized the stock gold color , but there isn't anybody in my area that does anodizing. I would also like to paint the brackets the same color as the fork legs, but i have been unable to find that color. I've temporarily painted the carriers black, but I'm not really liking too much. Maybe I should leave them bare ...maybe with a lite polish...? Any how here are some before and after photos;

Before

After

Rusty oversized rotors

Caliper brackets with free 6 pot Tokico's

Obviously braking power has increased substantially, can't wait for the pads to bed in!
Attached Thumbnails 320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-001.jpg   320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-rotors.jpg   320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-calipers.jpg   320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-002.jpg   320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-005.jpg  

Last edited by inderocker; 05-08-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I kind of like the black... But if you cant find the right color you could try silver grey, the same as the wheel...
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
That looks wicked man. Those stock brakes just look like they're too small for that wheel. That there looks perfect.

What was needed for the swap? Just that bracket and everything else bolted right up?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
MotoGP

Yup, just the bracket which came with the rotors... kind of, the seller had them in two separate auctions. I just got back from a short ride in the twisties and damn, she'll brush off speed in a hurry! I don't know if EBC is still producing them, but here are the part numbers just in case.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the score! I must confess I was hoping to land one of those. BTW, looks awesome with the black (I did the same thing to my stock rotors, although I went flat black)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
I really like it too. What's next on the list?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
What a waste of a 6 spoke wheel! You can't even see it anymore!!!

...on a more serious note, they do look great, and I like the black.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTS
What's next on the list?
Well, I messed up my back moving an immobile Harley from the truck to the lift inside my shop, so next up is some superbike bars. I bought a set of LSL risers off eBay, now I just have to find a set of bars that will clear the fairing.

Attached Thumbnails 320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-lsl.jpg  

Last edited by inderocker; 05-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
That's a cool find, I'll have to look at Cliby's bike to see if he modified his fairing to have his superbike bars. LSL web page tells you if you have to modify. (with their bars)
There might be somthing out there without cutting the fairing. I'm not a fan of that either.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Good score! Very good mod I reckon.

Mine are the same colour. Maybe some more paint around the edge of the disc may highlight the buttons a bit more. New buttons would also make a difference.

Name:  DSCN0177.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  96.3 KB
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 PM
MotoGP

I scrapped the black today and went with a light polish. I sand-blasted the carriers then lightly hit them with some 220 grit and some Mothers polish... kinda gave them a porous/polished, gun metal finish. Liking it much better!

Attached Thumbnails 320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-006.jpg   320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!-007.jpg  
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 AM
SuperBike

Its a toss up I like the way they look in black and polished.

Man I'm quite jealous of that I won't lie. I was telling some friends about it the other day and how bad *** it looks to have a rotor that big in there. I really think its next on my list. Maybe after I get back from cape breton ill order some rotors and those brackets.

I ebayed those brackets but couldn't find them no matter what I looked for. What year and bike are they off of? I did manage to find some brackets for a gixxer that unless I read it wrong look like they would hold 2 calipers per rotor.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 AM
MotoGP

Well, it seems I no longer have to worry solely about Markus (Tweety) being a bad influence, now I had to be on the watch for Daniel (Inderocker) as well...

So, like Uchi, I REALLY like the look of this set-up so..... I broke down and ordered a set of relocation brackets from Braketech (they offered an oversize rotor kit at one time but no longer have the rotors) followed up with a set of EBC oversize rotors (same as Inde`s). I ordered the rotors from the UK and got them for a real good deal (not only are they cheap to buy, but the drop in the value of the pound (due to financial crisis in Greece and recent election results) made it too good a deal to pass up). If anyone is interested in doing the same let me know and I can post the links....

Looks like I`ll be selling some stock rotors soon....

cheers
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 AM
MotoGP

well, as Fate would have it, I just checked my e-mail to find a message from the EBC seller indicating they did not have the rotors in stock, nor could they get them any more from EBC. So the search continues......
Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Inderocker, this looks wonderful.

The 320mm rotors were part of the reason I pushed forward with my GSXR swap, in addition to the radial calipers and radial M/C.

The stopping power is ridiculous.

Nicely done on the finish.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
Dayum, at first I was going to say the black looks good but that gunmetal is wonderful. Your mount looks like the terminator of bikes.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Squid

Gaggenau is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Well, it seems I no longer have to worry solely about Markus (Tweety) being a bad influence, now I had to be on the watch for Daniel (Inderocker) as well...

So, like Uchi, I REALLY like the look of this set-up so..... I broke down and ordered a set of relocation brackets from Braketech (they offered an oversize rotor kit at one time but no longer have the rotors) followed up with a set of EBC oversize rotors (same as Inde`s). I ordered the rotors from the UK and got them for a real good deal (not only are they cheap to buy, but the drop in the value of the pound (due to financial crisis in Greece and recent election results) made it too good a deal to pass up). If anyone is interested in doing the same let me know and I can post the links....

cheers
Did you get them from the Braketech web site?? as in www.Braketech.com ?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:52 AM
MotoGP

Yes, I e-mailed them and dealt with Jeff. A real classy chap.

cheers
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well if someone makes a 320mm rotor upgrade for any of the following bikes it will work with the stock VTR wheel:

81-89 CBR400 NC23
90-94 CBR400 NC30
94-96 RVF400 NC35
89-92 VFR400 NC30
95-98 CBR600F
94-97 VFR750F
94-97 CBR900RR
97-06 VTR1000F Firestorm/Superhawk
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i found out last week on accident that a superhawk with stock rotors and f4i calipers and mc will stoppie.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956
i found out last week on accident that a superhawk with stock rotors and f4i calipers and mc will stoppie.
Indeed, and even stock brakes can probably stoppie..

It isn't about outright strength, it is about feel and control too.

The stronger the brakes, the less effort you need to exert to stop, the more finesse you can use, and the more control you have.

But I would agree that the F4i or similar brake swap is one of the best things one can do to a SH.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
MotoGP

I have no complaints about my current set-up but my OCMD compels me to look at the 320mm set-up.... (heck, I have to admit I just plain LOVE the looks of it, expecially with the black inner section, makes it look real "business-like")
Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I can do stoppies two fingered... But I prefer not to...
Old 05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
I've always liked the look of satin/bead blasted bare metal over paint.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr

cheers
What was the price on the rotors and brackets new?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

Brackets I got a special deal on (not sure if I am at liberty to share, but they list for $169) and the rotors, well, that`s another story. I am still in the proces of hunting some down (although the ones I found initially, or thought I did, would have cost me $350 delivered from the UK)....
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
SuperBike

ok so these brackets were part of an oversize kit correct? theyre not factory off another bike?
perhaps we could get a local machinist on here to make up some of these and mass produce them
Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
MotoGP

I think the brackets would be the easy part, sourcing the rotors... a little bit more difficult.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
You could get custom rotors made. The rotors on my bike are special order as the bolt pattern is GSXR. I was going to suggest CTSMoto but they have closed down. Another place should be able to make them though.

http://www.ctsmoto.com/
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
I got lucky and chanced into my over sized rotors with the front end I bought. I'm not all that super impressed with my brakes though. I have a 600rr radial master stainless lines and f4i calipers with their stock pads on 310 rotors. maybe some vesrah rjl's would help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 320mm Oversized Rotors Installed!