Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

'02 Hawk Baffle drilled

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Squid

shelcon is on a distinguished road
'02 Hawk Baffle drilled

Finally got around to trying the partial bafflectomy. Drilled 8 21/64" holes in each baffle. Sounds incredibly better than stock. May do the full after a few weeks of riding - save $700+ on new pipes and jetting!!

Went back later and further enlarged 3 holes on each side to 1/2"....now sounds about right!!

Attached some pics - looks kinda cool - gatlin guns.
Attached Thumbnails '02 Hawk Baffle drilled-img_0587.jpg   '02 Hawk Baffle drilled-img_0588.jpg  

Last edited by shelcon; 09-16-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
i have always been afraid to try any kind of bafflectomy or anything of the like. how did it effect power? do you have to adjust anything? i have a sgt. that used to work as a Duc mechanic and he told me to stay away from it, and just get new slip ons, because it will cause a loss of power. i am ignorant on this subject, can someone break it down for me?
Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I'm running mine the same way. Didn't notice any loss of power.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Squid

Still seems to pull hard as ever....seems to have better throttle response - likely its just now I can actually hear the bike.

I'm still playing around with it - actually drilled more 1/2" holes - sounding better and better.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
the PO of mine drilled tons and tons of similar holes in my exhaust, I like the sound but I think I want more.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The SuperHawk is "blessed" with heavy cans that respond great to a bafflectomy; nice deep bass and a sound level that is only depend on how many holes you drill or if you remove the inner baffle. I've done a couple of other stock bikes but the VTR easily sounds the best. Best money you never spent!!! LOL

Truly the only downside for street riders are the non-weight reduction you get with aftermarket pipes and the "bling" factor. Hardcore street or track riders will also note ground clearance issues.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

do i have to take them off when i do this? how careful do i have to be about metal shavings from the drilling?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
So really, you don't even have to remove the inner baffle per Greg's instructions, you can just drill a few holes as is shown at the beginning?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Drilling the holes definitely helps the sound a lot. Never did the whole bafflectomy thing.

I drilled mine on the bike (for stability), but then took the cans off & shook out all the metal shavings I could. Don't know if they could get sucked into the cylinders, but I didn't want to experiment!

If you want to really hear what the Super Hawk v-twin is all about, try running it for a minute w/o the cans! (Awesome, but unbearable!)

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 09-17-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
So really, you don't even have to remove the inner baffle per Greg's instructions, you can just drill a few holes as is shown at the beginning?
Exactly...when I did mine someone advised to start w/ 4 per side and then add 1 or 2 more per side as you think you need more volume.
When I started it the first time w/ just 4 I thought "I'm glad I didn't do more"....but you get used to it pretty quick. I'm up to 8 per side now...might enlarge diameters to 3/8" each.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Everybody has weighed in - no you do not have to take the pipes off to do this mod. It really is a good improvement to the stock sound for little coin. Wait 'til December - pipes will be on sale!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
I got my hands on a second set of pipes. I took a hole saw to them,then used a dremal cut off tool.It wasn't big, just big enough to safely fit around that little stub without binding.Then stuck the dremal in side and went around.I then had too get the bike rejetted,because of backfiring/poping on deceleration.The rejetting is what brought the bike to life.I did that years ago when I was poor.I'll never do it again.The bike sounds great,and runs great,but I wish I had gone for the slipons for the weight loss.The stock ones are sooooo heavy.And last but not least its kind of embarasing....Duh Yup Done tuk a Saw to it.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Originally Posted by doggerman
I got my hands on a second set of pipes. I took a hole saw to them,then used a dremal cut off tool.It wasn't big, just big enough to safely fit around that little stub without binding.Then stuck the dremal in side and went around.I then had too get the bike rejetted,because of backfiring/poping on deceleration.The rejetting is what brought the bike to life.I did that years ago when I was poor.I'll never do it again.The bike sounds great,and runs great,but I wish I had gone for the slipons for the weight loss.The stock ones are sooooo heavy.And last but not least its kind of embarasing....Duh Yup Done tuk a Saw to it.
are you talking about a full bafflectomy?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:51 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

WOW! ok, i did it...what a difference. that **** sounds MEAN(er). i had to get over my whole "fear-of-totally-screwing-the-pooch-and-costing-myself-a-lot-of-unnecessary-money"
thing, but i sacked up and did the 8 holes with a 3/8" bit. holy crap that just made me grin ear to ear like a moron when i fired it up. im sure the neighbors appreciated it! i work night shift, so i pulled the bike in the house and did it (didnt want the drill waking up the neighbors). my fiancee got out of the shower to go to work...when she walked down the stairs she just looked at me, shook her head, kissed me on the cheek and left. ha! she didnt say a word. at least shes getting used to me., and now she just doesnt ask questions.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Condor
my fiancee got out of the shower to go to work...when she walked down the stairs she just looked at me, shook her head, kissed me on the cheek and left. ha! she didnt say a word.
Just remember... that s#!t won't cut it when you move the bike to the bedroom!

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 09-18-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Just remember... that s#!t won't cut it when you move the bike to the bedroom!
buwahaha!!!!!!
Im so tryin this!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Drilling the holes definitely helps the sound a lot. Never did the whole bafflectomy thing.

I drilled mine on the bike (for stability), but then took the cans off & shook out all the metal shavings I could. Don't know if they could get sucked into the cylinders, but I didn't want to experiment!

If you want to really hear what the Super Hawk v-twin is all about, try running it for a minute w/o the cans! (Awesome, but unbearable!)

If you guys like the holes drilled, you should definitely just do the whole bafflectomey. I started with the holes, but it was a love/hate thing. It was alot better than stock, but at idle it sounded like it had a big exhaust leak. Pfft, pfft, pfft pfft... I said fawk it, and knocked the baffles out. That's when she came to life. I have heard several other hawks with 2 brothers, jardines, etc etc exhaust and I can say this: Aftermarket pipes definitely sound a level up better, but it's not nearly the improvement as from stock to bafflectomy. If you aren't ricky racer, and trying to get as much weight loss and clearance as possible....it makes no sense to get aftermarket cans, other than the bling factor. The aftermarket pipes sound great, but not 6-$700 great.

There is nothing quite like filling up your bike at a gas station with a large roof over it, and having a harley guy ride in, revving up his annoyingly loud, slow, illhandling bike about every 4 seconds. As you get ready to start the 'hawk, you hold the throttle alittle bit open - just enough to spike it up to 4-5,000RPM when it fires up. The looks from those guys will never cease to amaze me. Sorry buddy, no sewing machine engine in my bike.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Squid

YUP - Agree - rode for a couple days with the 8 holes - great improvement over stock but not enough rumble/decibels!
Bought the hole saw today; full bflctmy tomorrow night. Cant wait to unlock the rest of that rumble!!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Back Marker

Im poorer now than I was before and Im a ricky racer.Thats why I wish I had bought lighter cans back then. If you can brush your teeth you can do this.I left the pipes mounted for stability.Hole saw size was 1 5/8-11/16 don't remember.Holesaw first,try to center it.thats the brutal part,then dremal cut off tool around the inside center***I promise you,you'll need rejetted***

Before you do that, upgrade your air filter.Rarely is anything ever free
Attached Thumbnails '02 Hawk Baffle drilled-baffalectomay.jpg  
Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Superstock

Im poorer now than I was before and Im a ricky racer.Thats why I wish I had bought lighter cans back then. If you can brush your teeth you can do this.I left the pipes mounted for stability.Hole saw size was 1 5/8-11/16 don't remember.Holesaw first,try to center it.thats the brutal part,then dremal cut off tool around the inside center***I promise you,you'll need rejetted***

Before you do that, upgrade your air filter.Rarely is anything ever free

So as opposed to drilling a few little holes around, you just made the exhaust tip one big hole, eh?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Back Marker

Yes I took out what I called the buttplug.There are three or four tubular baffles in there with the last one exiting out the pipe.Its welded to the face you holesaw.The one shelcon drilled through.Mine looks good,like a regular pipe,much better than the eight holes.And using my hillbilly science degree,it seems he's left the baffle attached and put holes in his exhaust,The largest hole is still baffled...The largest size hole saw is what ever fits into the tip.But that exposes all the crap in the pipe.................This pic is not me.fullsize hole with last baffle knocked off.My hole size is smaller, I think it looks better.Sorry no camera
Attached Thumbnails '02 Hawk Baffle drilled-exhaustpic.jpg  

Last edited by doggerman; 09-20-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Superstock

Yes I took out what I called the buttplug.There are three or four tubular baffles in there with the last one exiting out the pipe.Its welded to the face you holesaw.The one shelcon drilled through.Mine looks good,like a regular pipe,much better than the eight holes.And using my hillbilly science degree,it seems he's left the baffle attached and put holes in his exhaust,The largest hole is still baffled...The largest size hole saw is what ever fits into the tip.But that exposes all the crap in the pipe.................This pic is not me.fullsize hole with last baffle knocked off.My hole size is smaller, I think it looks better.Sorry no camera
Ahhh, so on your bike, you only cut out the little tip on the inside. How does that sound? Is there the "exhaust leak" sound the others describe after putting the multitude of holes in theirs?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

Yes I guess. I took the tip off the last baffle. Inside cut is only maybe 3/4 inch past that face.Thats problaly as far as I could get the dremal in there.Pretty sure hole sze is 1 5/8.I did not remove the whole baffle,I didn't want too beat on it and have the insides start to rattle. It sounds good and looks good.No funny soundsTheres another hawk I ride with that has aftermarket pipes we sound similar.I also ride with RC51's,Aprilas,Ducatis,sv650's.(twins do make the best canyon carvers)We all sound different but alike.One guy of high caliber thought they were staintunes.Sorry shelcon,But do not do the little holes. If for no other reason than looks.I allso think air pressure through a small hole would make the sound we've all heard.If your going to F__K em up,my way worked out pretty good.Did I mention rejetting the money you save on pipes goes toward that,
Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Squid

Did the "full" bafflectomy last night - removed the first baffle. Sounds much better than holes drilled. No one should be scared of doing the full - it doesnt seem that much louder than the 8 holes. Rode into work this morning and doesnt seem to need jetting based on those 16 miles....I've modified nothing else on the bike with regards to intake - i.e. air box/filter still stock. I've talked to people / read other posts where they also never found a need to re-jet as long as they kept everything else stock.
It does pop a little on decel after doing the full - but nothing more than the normal exhaust pop coming down from higher RPMs - backflow pop like you would hear on a hawg.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Back Marker

excelent shelcon.The rejetting may be dependent on where and how your riding.All I do any more is ride the canyons on the weekends.Up down left right.I got lucky maybe because mine is absolutly perfect,no pops ever.The hawk I ride with I think has D&D pipes.We'll come up over a rise in 4th 5th gear at 5000 6000 rpm and enter a down hill set of turns,You have to back off a little bit and every now and then I hear his bike poping.But not nearly the noise mine made.Anyways I go through 3 sets of metzlers a year,so the money spent on jetting 7 years ago was nothing,and it just runs so sweet.Skimp on the air filter if you want,You just saved 3 to 8 hundred bucks show her some love......And she'll luv ya back.

Last edited by doggerman; 09-21-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Back Marker

01SuperChicken is on a distinguished road
This should be added to the Bafflectomy sticky.

Good info.

Hole saw is 1 5/8 or 1 11/16 you say??? Stopping by Home Depot on the way home......
Old 08-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Back Marker

Where did you guys buy your hole saw???

The one from Lowes barely touches the inner part of the baffle when slipped over the baffle stem.....
Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Back Marker

I want my exhaust to look like this one.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Back Marker

Wierd seeing that again.Are you saying it is too short to cut though the flat part.There are problay deep socket and shallow socket.the metal plate is not that thick,1/8"? and you have a dremel with a cut off blade?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Back Marker

No dremel.

All the hole saws at Lowes were the same depth. The one's I have at home (the Harbor Freight kit) are really shallow. The one from Lowes is just long enough to barely touch the inner flat part....not enough to cut.

I was expecting to do this:

Read in another post that a 2 1/8" bit from Ace Hardware will fit....I'm going to swing by on my way home.

Last edited by 01SuperChicken; 08-21-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added pic

Quick Reply: '02 Hawk Baffle drilled