Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...

Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...

As usual, the best way to make me do something is to tell me it's impossible... When people tell me that stuff doesn't fit, my standard reply is "It's just a matter of tolerances"...

I have wanted mirrors with signal for a long time now, and I have seen several projects, none that really appealed to me (as in me doing it, not the results, they where in all cases stellar)... I don't like playing with the pot metal to lengthen the stock stem I don't like opening up the mirrors to add a bulb...

So I kept coming back to the GSXR mirrors... Yeah, the angle is wrong and the bolt pattern is of by a mile... So what, the SP2 swing-arm is narrower and has a wider bearings than the stock swing-arm, and it fits fine...

Then I found a new donor bike... I had a little test ride on the new VFR1200... And the mirror/signal combo on that (and the new CBR) looks snazzy...

So I looked at the cost of that... $680 for the pair?! You have got to be kidding me! No actually says the parts guy, it's $683, cuz you need that bolt and washer as well... After looking around a bit I find I can buy them assembled for $350 instead of buying them in parts... But to be able to do that you need to know the secret parts number that isn't in any list or computer for the whole mirror&signal assembly... Oh joy!

$350?! I can buy a new set of tires for that... And it's actually roughly the money I spent on the swing-arm mod... No way in h-e-double hockeysticks I'm paying $350 for a pair of mirrors... OCMD or not...

So that got me pissed of enough that I decided to buy a pair of GSXR mirrors and fiddle around... $53 with shipping seems darned cheap compared to the VFR/CBR option... And if they don't fit... Oh well...

So I get them (took 2 days from the US somewhere for $10 shipping? How did do that?! Nevermind... Don't tell me, just keep doing it...)

So I start fiddling about, now I didn't spring for OEM ones, it was just gonna be fiddling, not expecting them to fit... But the glass is real glass, the stems are metal and the fit and finish is really nice... Apart from the flimsy plastic tab over the bolt holding the mount on... Fiddle, fiddle, crack... Oopsie... So now I have one mirror with no plastic tab...

Originally I was planning to make an aluminum block to bolt in between to correct the angle and be done with it... But at this point I figure I might go all the way... It's already broken (Like my gf said... "That took you a whole 3 minutes, so that's $17 a minute!")

Ok, stick it in the drill press and drill out the rivet holding the arm to the mount, make a new mount using left over pieces of scrap metal and slide the stock rubber boot on it... Drill a little hole in the fairing to get teh wires through... All in 1 hour... And it looks like it was made that way from the factory... The mirrors sit roughly where my mirrors was with the "mirror extender" blocks on them... A bit lower and possibly a bit wider... Compared to stock they are considerably wider and a bit higher up...

Now I haven't ridden with them yet, but I think they are in the right place... And the mount is even more solid than stock, so I'm fairly sure they will be buzz free...

Unfortunately I left my camera in the shop, and I'm to darned lazy to go get it (it's warm and cozy in side, it's cold and raining outside ) So you won't see any pics until tomorrow... (Yeah, I know I'm mean...)
Old 04-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
pics! if this is easy enough i may give it a stab!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Ah yes, an OCMD'ers work is never done...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Yo, it's tomorrow already!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
1 hour and 10 minutes after his post, it was his tomorrow. Patience boys. Although, it's is almost 18:30 there right now. He might be in the shop working on it.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
What's the time difference to Sweden? We want some pics. If this looks easy enough I predict a run on gixxer mirrors.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Great another project for me to think about......
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spladle160
What's the time difference to Sweden? We want some pics. If this looks easy enough I predict a run on gixxer mirrors.
6 hours.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

Sorry... It was nice and sunny, so I took a wee bit of a ride... And then I went straight back and chopped up my new mounts... The angle was wrong...

But second version looks promising... So far I have only made one, I figured I'd better do one and test, then do the other... And then my brother stopped by with a fun 4 wheeled vehicle so I got sidetracked...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
pics
Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by andy9743
pics
Hold on, hold on... First I have to upload them and resize them since the forum frowns on large images...
Attached Thumbnails Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0154-0.jpg   Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0154-2.jpg   Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0154-5.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

BTW yes, I stuck the fairing back on and took a test ride like that... Didn't hook up the signal though... No pics of that, but it looks funky...

I'll get the other done after work (halfday shift) tomorrow... I'll post completed pics then...
Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
It has been done before actually. There was a guy on here that made a new mount or spacer to fit them up. A few years ago now. As I recall he said it took him about 2 hours.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, an hour or two is what it takes... Unless you are a bit **** like me and do it twice...
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
MotoGP

Finished it up today... Here is the final result...
Attached Thumbnails Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0158-0.jpg   Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0158-1.jpg   Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0158-2.jpg   Whoever said GSXR mirrors don't fit...-img_0158-3.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Very nice work! +1 for signals being more visible to oncoming motorists too.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Smile

The only questions left are: when will your ready-to-install kits be available for purchase, and how much will they cost.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf
Very nice work! +1 for signals being more visible to oncoming motorists too.
Yep, thats the idea... I dislike the look of the stock one's... but they are infinitely more visible than any others... These however can compete... (the flush mounts stay though...)

Originally Posted by nekkid
The only questions left are: when will your ready-to-install kits be available for purchase, and how much will they cost.
Um... How about never, ever? I got enough of a headache trying to make two of them with the exact same height and angle... The first one is easy, making he second one the same is a lot more frustrating...
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Looks good, and pretty practical too. If you were to break one you could replace it simply. My mirrors look pretty good I think, but were a LOT of work. It took me a couple of weekends to get them right, and then they had to be painted. If I ever damaged one I would consider changing them to something else, so I did not have to do all that work again.

I reckon yours are a better option.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Um... How about never, ever? I got enough of a headache trying to make two of them with the exact same height and angle... The first one is easy, making he second one the same is a lot more frustrating...

Oh go on will ya? Look, what ya do see, is flip the side stand to the other side and use a cheapo angle finder.. Right?
Look great BTW.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by stebbdt

Oh go on will ya? Look, what ya do see, is flip the side stand to the other side and use a cheapo angle finder.. Right?
Look great BTW.
I had the bike on a work stand so the side-stand didn't factor in... But since the mirrors are from a completely other bike.... There are two axises... Side to side lowers/raises them... Front to back changes the angle of the housing... And a small difference makes a huge change in looks... And every time you adjust one you affect the other... Real funI tell you...