Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Squid

spacemonkey
wheels

hey guys thinking of polishing my wheels this winter anyone polish their wheels your self or did you send them off there a few shops here in kansas that polish but i was just wondering if it is a job that is just as easy to have someone else do it. I have my jardines on the way can't wait to hear them
Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Back Marker

Random
Re: wheels

It really depends on how much time you have, and how much effort you are willing to put into them.

Polishing the lip is fairly easy, but time consuming. It's allready smooth aluminum, so you just need to remove the factory powdercoating, then buff to a mirror sheen.

To try to polish the spokes of the wheel, that would require some serious, serious effort to remove the factory powdercoating from within the cast sections, and also around the various lettering and factory marks. I would suggest chemical stripping for that. Once the powdercoating is off, then you've got to do some SERIOUS buffing to get that cast material smooth and get it to take a shine. It would be a LOT of work. If you've got access to a 6" or 8" buffer wheel on a stand alone stand, you could probably get to about 75% of the wheel spokes, but you'd need a dremel for detail work. If all you've got is a bench mounted buffer, or just a dremmel, it's going to be a LOT of work. At that point, I'd say send them out to a pro.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
Then you also have to remember that polishing is NOT chrome. They will look good for alittle while BUT WILL NEED TO BE DONE AGAIN about once or twice a season (depending on how many miles you do) Polish fades and hazes, which will need to be buffed out again, unlike chrome which can just be wiped down.

Lots of work now and lots of work again later. If your looking for shine, get them chromed. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 AM
faz
Superstock

faz

look at my pictures site below, and see my previous f4i with poilshed wheels.

I simply stripped the paint using airplane paint remover (buy from kragen or autozone or ...) and used some mothers polish to bring out shine. No abrasive products like sand paper or anything.

it is not as hard to keep it clean, depending on the weather conditions you live/ride in.

I will never do it again though. too much work (patience) and now someone else is enjoying the results.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

To only add to what the others have said, you can just strip/polish the outside edges first. This is the machined area that gets nicked/scratched from tire changes and is easy to strip. Just mask off the rest of the wheel with real painters masking tape and use the chemical stripper. Rinse off and buff it out with a metal polish. Doing the cast sections like the spokes is a hell of a lot tougher.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Though I have already stripped the paint from both wheels of SuperChicken III by using "Aicraft Paint Remover" (from Auto Zone), I also plan to have the wheels polished professionally, in conjunction with a painter who will both paint the spokes and inner rim Kandy Gold (House of Kolor) and spray the heck out the wheels with clear coat. (I don't want the polished wheels to be a source of bondage and tendonitis.)

The stripped wheels, IMHO, look much better than the Sunday-go-to-meeting black on the wheels of '98-'03 VTRs. It was a fairly simple process getting the paint off: I simply masked-off the tires (three layers)--leaving the wheels on the bike because I don't have a front stand--and carefully sprayed the paint remover on as much of the wheels as I could before rotating to the next section of paint.

A few things to keep in mind if you attmept this process are as follows:

1.) Be very careful with the Aircraft Paint Remover: it is caustic as all get-out and will burn the hide right off of your hands. Wearing protective gear (rubber gloves and eye protection) is an essential element in the process.

2.) Have at-hand a bucket of water and both wet and dry towels/rags. An almost-sloppy-wet towel/rag can be used to neutralize the paint remover and remove the gunk without your having to re-apply the masking tape every time you re-apply the paint remover. (The instructions on the paint remover state that you should use a water hose to neutraize tha action of the paint remover, but doing that would only buy you extra labor, extra time to re-apply masking tape that would get soaked-through with water. I choose, instead, to use an almost-sloppy-wet towel so that I can control the amount of water that gets onto the three layers masking tape, especially around the outer edge of the wheels.)

3.) Be very careful not to get over-spray onto your plastics or in your eyes (ye-ouch!)

4.) Be sure to carefully mask-off (with at least three layers) the valve stems, and, if you leave the brake calipers in-place during the process, be careul not to get paint remover on the brake pads or on the painted letters "Nissan" on your calipers. (The gold calipers on most VTRs are anodized so are forgiving in terms of overspray getting onto their surfaces.)

I have performed the above process on three separate '98 VTRs and, aside from the time-consuming process of touching things up, it was fairly simple and the results were just grand in the way that they accentuate the inherent beauty of the VTR.

Obviously, the above process would be simplified a great deal by simply removing the wheels, tires, and valve stems and then simply leaning the wheels up against a brick wall and spraying both paint remover and water to your heart's content. Even so, some of us don't have the liberty of paying the extra money to have the wheels, tires, and valve stems removed and then re-installled.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I pinstripped (tape type) around the outer edge of my wheels. It took about 40 minutes and looks amazing in an understated way. I'll have to post some pics.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:38 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point

NOrrTH.... I'd really love to see some pics of the wheels and a overall bike shot of how your ride looks. I've been thinking of doing the same thing after seeing the newer all black and red pinstriped wheeled R1.

If you could also tell me where you bought your tape that would be cool. I found this place on the web...

http://www.autopinstripes.com/Size%20&%20Price.html

Pretty cheap and you get alot for your money compared to someplace like Tapeworks which charges 4x more for less. Plus this vinyl is reflective... which adds a bit of saftey/visabiltiy for night riding.

J.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:34 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK";p=&quot

If you could also tell me where you bought your tape that would be cool. I found this place on the web...

http://www.autopinstripes.com/Size%20&%20Price.html

Pretty cheap and you get alot for your money compared to someplace like Tapeworks which charges 4x more for less. Plus this vinyl is reflective... which adds a bit of saftey/visabiltiy for night riding.
hey, this being reflective is nice.

thanks for posting it.