Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

T-Rex Frame Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
T-Rex Frame Sliders

I just installed the T-Rex no-cut frame sliders, http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=29 and they look great. Took about 15 minutes to install. Just make sure you install the long engine mount bolt on the right side as you are supplied with a 80 and 100 mm bolt or maybe 110 mm.

Anyway they look good.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 AM
SuperSport

Here are some pictures.

T-Rex Frame Sliders-slider1.jpg

T-Rex Frame Sliders-slider2.jpg

T-Rex Frame Sliders-slider3.jpg

T-Rex Frame Sliders-slider4.jpg
Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
I have T-Rex sliders also but mine look different. Mine has a aluminum piece in between the slider and the mounting bracket.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
SuperSport

Ahh, maybe thats what is missing out of the package I received.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
I will take a pic of mine when I get home.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StoneJrW
I have T-Rex sliders also but mine look different. Mine has a aluminum piece in between the slider and the mounting bracket.
+1
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Those look nice. Wonder how well those little offset brackets would hold up to a lowside...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by reaper
Ahh, maybe thats what is missing out of the package I received.
Doesn't look like it's missing, they made 2 types, mine have the alm. spacer and the slider is much shorter than the kind you have.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Those look nice. Wonder how well those little offset brackets would hold up to a lowside...
Should be fine, the last set I had,(different brand used aluminum for the bracket instead of steel), took a highside but pulled the bolt out.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
They look good, and hopefully they do there job...or is it you hope they never have to do there job!!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM
SuperSport

The bracket is beefy and instead of machining, it is Tig welded and the bolts are 12.9 grade steel.

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of the brackets off the bike to get a better idea of the construction of the sliders.

Let me know.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
He said "Beefy" LOL...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Squid

gotbeef
Mine was the welded version that came without the spacers. The black bracket was interfering with the frame so I had to put a washer between the frame and the bracket. Another thing that bugged me a bit was how my knees kept on hitting the thing during hard riding. I tilted the bracket a farther away from me but my knees still touch them time to time.

Another thing I did was to put a thick black hose over the portion of the frame slider bolt that sticks past the black bracket. I'm doing it because my last crash with LSI frame sliders showed me that these brackets WILL rotate (toward the back of the bike) during a crash and the slider bolts that stick out past the bracket could take a chunk out of the frame if they weren't covered with some hard rubber that will stay in place. It's not as pretty to look at as shiny bolts...

For the price (and availability) I think they're good products overall.

I may take some pics of the new sliders and pics of the demolished LSI sliders.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
very very pretty! and no cutting involved! bonus!!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
where's u get the red brake lines, they look tight. was it ez to bleed the slave cylinder. some say it's a pain. or were they all typical bleeds to do ?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
SuperSport

I got the brake/clutch lines from Hel, http://www.helusa.com/, and bleeding the brakes and clutch were not difficult for one person. I used 1/8" ID tubing, the same stuff you use for aquarium pumps, pushing it onto the brake/clutch bleed nipple. Make sure that the container you are pumping the fluid into has fluid in it and the tube is in the fluid. You do not want to get air in your lines.

Also, make sure the caps are off the reservoirs. Using an 8mm wrench for the brakes and a 10mm wrench for the clutch, pump the levers and open the bleed screws a 1/4 turn and continue to pump. You may have to close the bleed screw in order to build up pressure again and watch the reservoirs to make sure they have plenty of fluid in them.

You will know when the air is out of the lines when the pedal/lever gets harder to push. When you bleed the fronts, do one side at a time.

If you decide to change out the brake lines I would recommend you switch the front from the stock one line into two, to two separate lines, I find the braking better.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
that helps, so you just open the lines in fluid and pump until they get harder.
oh, by the way, i got the exact same t-rex today. i'll hook=um up soon.

thanks for the info..
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hook all the stuff up. Bleeding for brakes or clutch goes like this:

squeeze, open bleeder, shut bleeder, release. Repeat.

The quicker you can do this the better since the higher fluid flow will entrain air bubbles rather than just let them sit in the high spots or stick to the sides.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Squid

clarkwebb is on a distinguished road
trex sliders in a crash

The sliders work awesome in a crash, except when the bike goes in the grass, the sliders dig in and then the bike gets launched. the trex sliders came out fine though.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Hey as long as you were able to salvage the sliders.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
Do any of you know what the length of the engine mounting bolts supplied by T-Rex is? I bought a used set and the right side seems plenty long enough but the left is the same length as the stocker. That makes no sense. I may need to buy both new as the ends of the threads are buggered up also. They wont go in nearly as nicely as the stock ones.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
just sold mine because the t rex bolts did the same thing, ACTUALLY WHEN I REMOVED THE STOCKERS, I BENT THE LF ONE REMOVING IT. and scared the s--- out of me going back with the t rex, because it did not tighten.The t rex went in one time and tighten and then no more. did that happen to you ?
to answer your ? , the t rex were m10x1.25 100m and 80mm. I think ACE has then. for $4/pc.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Originally Posted by BLAKCK HAWK
just sold mine because the t rex bolts did the same thing, ACTUALLY WHEN I REMOVED THE STOCKERS, I BENT THE LF ONE REMOVING IT. and scared the s--- out of me going back with the t rex, because it did not tighten.The t rex went in one time and tighten and then no more. did that happen to you ?
to answer your ? , the t rex were m10x1.25 100m and 80mm. I think ACE has then. for $4/pc.
Thanks for the info! I'll visit Ace soon.

My stockers came out and re-installed just fine. Once they broke loose they were moving real nice, maybe a little too easy. The right side T-Rex started a little hard and just got harder. I called it quits after about 2 full turns with a little bit of wrench help. I didn't even try the left side because of the length issue.

The bolts I got with my sliders measure about 106mm and 90mm. Maybe the reason the longer one is buggered up on the end is because it's too long. I can't understand why my short one is is longer than yours though. Mine seems to short as it is. I think what I'll do is measure the adapters and see how much longer I need to go from stock to compensate for them and buy the closest size I can to match the stock thread engaged length. I'll buy slightly longer if needed and cut them down to match.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
right, the left was longer but if i were u , just set them up how u like. those t rex bolts seem like crap, mine were busted at the front also.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Originally Posted by BLAKCK HAWK
right, the left was longer but if i were u , just set them up how u like. those t rex bolts seem like crap, mine were busted at the front also.
Problem fixed. I took them in to work today and chased the threads with a Die and ground off the buggered up threads on the end. I was rather surprised at how much material came off. They went in more like the stockers when done.

And then I remembered that you wrote "the left was longer" in contrast to the first post by that good fer nuttin' Reaper who typed "Just make sure you install the long engine mount bolt on the right side" which is NOT the way the bolts came out of my bike (and obviously yours). He probably meant "the correct side" but he's in my **** list now

Anyway, they are installed now and I'm ready to do other crap to it.

Reaper...........................if you ever need help on your bike send me a PM
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
WHAT OTHER CRAP ? and i may need to get my carbs synced, i'm surging while driving.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

My current list:

-Sync Carbs
-Get on Dyno to get jetting checked
-rejet and repeat process as needed

-Swap the Pilot roads to my XX and the Diablo Corsa's to the SH
-re-gear it and install speedo healer off my XX
-install new grips
-change oil
-flush clutch and brake fluid
-replace coolant with water &water wetter as soon as it warms up enough (track days)
-buy some SS front brake lines and figure out exactly what brake upgrade to do and do it
-shop for used (cheap) high mounts
-install said high mounts
-get bike on dyno after installing said high mounts and dyno/rejet/sync/repeat as needed
-figure out a way to screw with Reaper

Nothing major.

I've got more work planned for my XX than this one.

Last edited by Involute; 04-01-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
Frame Sliders.

Is TRex still making them or do I look at other solutions?

I need them in two weeks or less for a big trip.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I just ordered some from trexracing.com on sunday after reading this thread and never owning frame sliders. they shipped them monday to me.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
I just ordered some from trexracing.com on sunday after reading this thread and never owning frame sliders. they shipped them monday to me.
suggest that you "chase" the threads on the T-Rex frame/motormount bolts before you insert and tighten dowm...otherwise they don't go in too smoothly and tighten up too early, at least mine did...

Quick Reply: T-Rex Frame Sliders