Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

sharkskinz shipping FYI

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Squid

miner1098 is on a distinguished road
sharkskinz shipping FYI

I was all ready to order my new street upper for the hawk (fire storm).
I went through the little order process on sharkskinz site, they said they'd contact me regarding shipping.
I was quoted $180 (keep in mind I live in Canada).
I am pretty sure I can get an airline ticket and fly to Florida, pick it up and bring it back myself for only a little more. And I'm thinking that I might just do that.
wayne
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Shipping is often the thing that kills purchases for me too (I live in Montreal so I can totally relate)....
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Yipe that is pretty normal. It will be a huge box. Cost somewhere around $250 for me to ship my set to a fellow member if I recall...Part of the problem of living in Canada....off-setting by our free health care
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by calitoz
Yipe that is pretty normal. It will be a huge box. Cost somewhere around $250 for me to ship my set to a fellow member if I recall...Part of the problem of living in Canada....off-setting by our free health care
Our health care is hardly free (paid for by our taxes) but it is universal. The real problem in getting products for our bikes is not so much the cost of shipping as the fact that our market is relatively small, a reality that is compounded by a short riding season, making for lower sales volumes which, in turn, makes it less attractive for retailers and distributors to carry motorcycle products at decent prices (mind you, their shipping costs do creep into their pricing...).
Old 12-20-2009, 06:09 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
that's ridiculous to charge that much for shipping. Doesn't Canada have a national postal service system that delivers mail to each residence?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
yea, it's crazy to ship stuff there i quoted a member here shipping for a set of wheels that i still have and it was over 100 bucks, i google maped it and it was only a 3.5 hr drive
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 AM
MotoGP

does canada have a postal service delivering door to door? If so, reasonable shipping seems only a matter of expanding a service already in place and something that all canadians should be advocating for. I wonder why they aren't?

Universal health care as well as retirement income should only be something available to those in need, not to those who already have way more than they need. IMO, it should be more of a safety net thing.

Last edited by nath981; 12-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 AM
MotoGP

Yes, we have Canada Post (we are not a third-world country BTW), same as your USPS and the cost of shipping within Canada is very reasonable. The problem lies in shipping anything across an international border (whether out of or into Canada, or any other country for that matter; I can ship something to Vancouver, at the other end of the continent, for less than the same item to Vermont, one hour away). It is NOT a uniquely Canadian problem. The only reaosn it's an issue in this context is that we have very few big aftermarket vendors and ordering from one in the US almost invaruably means getting ripped off on shiiping (in my experience, the shipping is seldom as high as the amount quoted, meaning the vendor is taking advantage of it and filling his pockets, eBay sellers being particularly good at this).
Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
Yes, we have Canada Post (we are not a third-world country BTW)
yeah, yeah. If you ask someone in an insane asylum if they're crazy, they'll give you a similar answer.

seriously, sounds counterproductive , isolationist, and archaic. How about shipping out of Canada, is that as expensive?

sounds like something that need changed asap/
Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
How about shipping out of Canada, is that as expensive?
Any time a good has to cross an international border it gets expensive, and it has nothing to do with Canada, the US or any other country. That's just the way it is (having orered numerous goods from outside Canada I have become fairly well versed in the robbery that is postage fees). Want to talk real robbery, have something sent you from another country by UPS. JUst brace yourself when you see the brokerage fees.......
Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
It gets deeper. Calitoz has shipped me exhaust cans. Micky sent my velocity stacks. Some ***** sent me calipers - charged my $55 and the ******* label on the box said $18. All from Canada.

I've spent a lot of time up there and these guys know I'm solid. Their taxes suck and because the CA postal service works for the CA gov't - they get their share too.

Like I said it gets deeper.

Currency exchange rates are pretty equal between us and our Canadian brothers. Few cents at best - BFD!

I did it, squids do it every year, contrast the purchase of Mario Nava fairings. The actual money that Mario takes to the bank is not unreasonable in the slightest. Add the exchange rate for the monetary exchange rates and shipping from Italy - I'm talking sticker shock especiale'. This is where government goes wrong for its people and their business.

When the "fees" from goverment for doing business are greater than the fees from the service provider - you figure it out. Force figures into the solution because they obviously can't respect the wishes of the people they govern. Companies all around me are laying off people - is government?
Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM
MotoGP

this really sucks! Looks like the growing international community built up by the evolution of the internet is being seriously stifled by archaic habits of the last century. Standardized, reasonable, and predictable intra country cooperation seems to be a no-brainer for the benefit of all.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
OK this is prob going to get moved - but it's this way for me. When government fees/taxes/penalties exceed the dollar value of business model - it is not the fault of the business - it is a failure of budget responsibily of governance.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Some ***** sent me calipers - charged my $55 and the ******* label on the box said $18.
If I had a dollar for every time I have had the same thing happen to me (from sellers in the US, not that it matters) I could retire right now. It`s all about parasitic opportunists taking advantage of someone living out of country. I am much more selective in where I buy now and have walked away from many purchases when I see the seller wants to take me for a ride. A small markup I can understand but I have no intention of bending over for anyone and would rather do without than be played for a fool.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Twin Junkie
Squid

Puff998 is on a distinguished road
I have a mint set of OEM pipes i want to unload. Since i live in Canada and most of the traffic on this forum is US menbers,I'm pretty buggered as no one want to pay 80-100$ for shipping .Canada Post charges WAY to much compared to US mail.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Twin Junkie
Squid

Puff998 is on a distinguished road
When I make E-Bay buys I have the items shipping to a UPS store right on the US side of the border.drive down and pick it up there.Save a bundle and no *&%$# brokerage fees ...lol. Last time i used UPS to ship to Canada they charged me 20$ brokerage on a 80$ windsheild !!!! +plus shipping and taxes.....
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Puff998
When I make E-Bay buys I have the items shipping to a UPS store right on the US side of the border.drive down and pick it up there.Save a bundle and no *&%$# brokerage fees ...lol. Last time i used UPS to ship to Canada they charged me 20$ brokerage on a 80$ windsheild !!!! +plus shipping and taxes.....
If they only charged you $20 you got off very easy!!!! The last time I dealt with those crooks they tried to charge me $55 in brokerage for a $20 part (the seller has sent the part UPS despite my CLEAR instructions to use USPS), so I returned it (refuse to support scumbags like that).

When I am shopping for parts, I inevitably spend more time looking at the shipping component than anything else as MANY eBay sellers and established businesses (including Ron Ayers) are either parasites and opportunists, or they think that we Canadians are all blind and stupid. When I finally do find a business that charges reasonable rates, I gladly give them my business. Perhaps we should start a thread for Canucks to list those sellers and businesses that do not try to rape us on shippng.....
Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Puff998
cool! Is that legal? If so, seems like a business opportunity. collect packages to be shipped out, take them to the UPS US location. Then pick up shipments into Canada, return, and disseminate.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
cool! Is that legal? If so, seems like a business opportunity. collect packages to be shipped out, take them to the UPS US location. Then pick up shipments into Canada, return, and disseminate.
It`s not legal but given what other goods get smuggled across the border it is relatively minor. The other aspect is that it`s practical only if you live a short distance from the border (not the case for many people).....
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
MotoGP

yeah Mik. That suggestion was directed to Puff who lives proximate to the border. That's a real PIA----------need some regulations that could make international business transactions more cost effective.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Its fucked. I tried to buy a lower from a member here and it was gonna be about 100 to ship. That's outrageous. Its because of how big it was. I sent a complete 4 cylinder top end to a guy with cams and cam towers and complete valvetrain to the middle of the u.s and it was 45 bucks. Personally I think we get fuked more by ups and fed ex then anyone else. So far dhl are in my good books. I've had stuff shipped from japan and its cost me penuts while ups and fed ex, who's worse than ups, charge you duty and brokerage fees. Usually about 25 bucks. Usps on the other hand is great to deal with. It ends up coming canada post and unless its a real big item they won't charge me for it. So anytime I make an ebay purchase I make sure its shipped usps.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
Its fucked. I tried to buy a lower from a member here and it was gonna be about 100 to ship. That's outrageous. Its because of how big it was. I sent a complete 4 cylinder top end to a guy with cams and cam towers and complete valvetrain to the middle of the u.s and it was 45 bucks. Personally I think we get fuked more by ups and fed ex then anyone else. So far dhl are in my good books. I've had stuff shipped from japan and its cost me penuts while ups and fed ex, who's worse than ups, charge you duty and brokerage fees. Usually about 25 bucks. Usps on the other hand is great to deal with. It ends up coming canada post and unless its a real big item they won't charge me for it. So anytime I make an ebay purchase I make sure its shipped usps.

yep, if they are not willing to ship USPS they can keep it.......
Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
MotoGP

that's cool. and now USPS has upgraded to anything that fits in their boxes, to compete with fed ex. ups, dhl.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I'd be making friends with someone just across the border.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NCDave
I'd be making friends with someone just across the border.
a great idea if you yourself live close to the border. However, Canada is the second largest country in the world so a good many of us live faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from the US border
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
how about a friend close to the border who has a friend on the other side?

You're welcome to ship things to me but the only border I'm close to is South Carolina. However, it IS like a foreign country down there! LOL

Last edited by NCDave; 02-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
MotoGP

I know the feeling, I live in Quebec (didn`t grow up here though), one of the many foreign countries within Canada, lol
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Speaking of which....

Hey Micky, when you comin' to pick up your 'Skinz???

G
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

later this Spring, if that's ok. AS I work for a sled magazine, this is a busy season for me (not helping is the fact that my 18 month-old daughter just broke her collarbone). If this causes a problem let me know and we can perhaps arrange something.

cheers
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Squid

Christian_man30 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know you'll hate me

I know you'll hate me....but I went job hunting a few weeks ago & found out that Sharkskinz is only 18 miles from where I live & the owners live in melbourne, just right up the road from me.

Trying to talk to them & see if I can do some side work for them & earn me a lower from them.

Quick Reply: sharkskinz shipping FYI