Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust

Im considering trimming my stock fender tonight, but thought about waiting until i get a fender delete kit. I have looked at a few pictures but was wanting to get feedback from people who have actually installed them. (Fit / Finish, reputable companies) etc... I saw one on Epay that looks ok, but i dont think im digging the 2 round taillights. link to one im referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

I know in the future Im going to want to put an undertail exhaust on it, so ill need a fender delete that will leave that open for that modification also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Squid

notquite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
Im considering trimming my stock fender tonight, but thought about waiting until i get a fender delete kit. I have looked at a few pictures but was wanting to get feedback from people who have actually installed them. (Fit / Finish, reputable companies) etc... I saw one on Epay that looks ok, but i dont think im digging the 2 round taillights. link to one im referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

I know in the future Im going to want to put an undertail exhaust on it, so ill need a fender delete that will leave that open for that modification also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
If you want to get a undertail kit the link you posted is not for a vtr1000. It is for a vtr1000 sp-1 (aka rc51).These will fit a vtr1000-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...0390339703More http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...0055326628info here too. http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Rumble_-_H...ast_series.htm . ps. I think they look really sick. Last thing i would say though is, if your not handy with body work, dont buy a cheap crappy one. spring for the named ones. You'll save alot of time and headache.

Last edited by notquite; 09-07-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: coding error
Old 09-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Superstock

Cool! Thanks for the info! I wondered why it looked different, but i figured they used a generic photo. Its kind of wierd that the 1tail place wont show pictures of the underside / rear of thier kit.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Can't comment on the Rumble concepts, but I have the mini - I bought it from that same vendor on Ebay. The mini is a Mototech nock off and is good quality. They seem to be goining up in price mine was $100 las year. I'm guessing the vendor is running out of them. I thik if you want an undertail - any model, you might be better buying sooner rather than later. Our bikes aren't getting any younger, selection is bound to dry up.
I'm not quite sure what a "fender delete" includes, but with a dremel or a hack saw you can remove most of the fender - simply mount your plate higher and get rid of the stock turn signals.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Can't comment on the Rumble concepts, but I have the mini - I bought it from that same vendor on Ebay. The mini is a Mototech nock off and is good quality. They seem to be goining up in price mine was $100 las year. I'm guessing the vendor is running out of them. I thik if you want an undertail - any model, you might be better buying sooner rather than later. Our bikes aren't getting any younger, selection is bound to dry up.
I'm not quite sure what a "fender delete" includes, but with a dremel or a hack saw you can remove most of the fender - simply mount your plate higher and get rid of the stock turn signals.
Thanks for the info! Is the mini the one you have in your avatar? The mini NOTQUITE posted looks to have 2 seperate tail lamp housings, where the pic of yours looks to be a single taillight? unless the mini on epay is a generic photo.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Squid

notquite is on a distinguished road
Cool! Thanks for the info! I wondered why it looked different, but i figured they used a generic photo. Its kind of wierd that the 1tail place wont show pictures of the underside / rear of thier kit.
I believe the "two tail lamps" your referring to are actually turn signals and you use your stock brake assembly. not certain though.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info! Is the mini the one you have in your avatar? The mini NOTQUITE posted looks to have 2 seperate tail lamp housings, where the pic of yours looks to be a single taillight? unless the mini on epay is a generic photo.

when i first got my bike i went throgh the work of trimming my stock fender down as much as possible, this will give you an idea of what i did

then about a month later i decided to get the mototech knockoff from ebay and am very happy with it i painted it myself so i can comment on color match i just got the un-painted and painted it myself

and now that is done i too will be hacking this thing all up to make room for an under tail exhaust my bro just bought a cbr600rr and the exhaust is the sexiest thing on that bike, hope this helps
Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Mercenary for hire
Squid

MTHAWK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Billzilla15
when i first got my bike i went throgh the work of trimming my stock fender down as much as possible, this will give you an idea of what i did

then about a month later i decided to get the mototech knockoff from ebay and am very happy with it i painted it myself so i can comment on color match i just got the un-painted and painted it myself

and now that is done i too will be hacking this thing all up to make room for an under tail exhaust my bro just bought a cbr600rr and the exhaust is the sexiest thing on that bike, hope this helps
This is the same one that i went with and the directions were easy to follow and the fit and finish are superb, my bike is red like zillas' bike but i went with a gloss black undertail to break the red up a bit.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by notquite
I believe the "two tail lamps" your referring to are actually turn signals and you use your stock brake assembly. not certain though.
Thank you once again!

Whats up to a fellow Buckeye! Lovin the undertail! When you trimmed the stock fender, what did you use for turn signals? I might hold off on the undertail and go that route if i can find some rear turn signals i like.

Originally Posted by MTHAWK
This is the same one that i went with and the directions were easy to follow and the fit and finish are superb, my bike is red like zillas' bike but i went with a gloss black undertail to break the red up a bit.
Dude, id love to see that also! Do you have any pics? Thanks for the info on the quality being great!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
it looks like he has an integrated tail light. at which point he bought that is the question. as for creating an undertail exhaust...

you will need as much room as possible----you won't be able to use the mototek or any fender eliminator. In fact, max dia on the exhaust will be roughly 3", and depending on the height that you mount the exhaust at, you will either be dealing with a bun warmer or a tire rub (over sizable bumps). Well, actually, you will have a bun warmer no matter what. I have a 600rr exhaust that I thought about using but it wouldn't fit, too tall.

the easiest, and the guys who have had the most success (and something, if I WAS going to do it again, I would do) have been using the R1 exhaust and rear tail. Key items that it has making it more successful:
-a tail, electronic mounting, battery mount, and exhaust mount that are not prototypes
-Available stock and aftermarket exhaust (trust me on this being somehow cheaper then your time and materials)
-If done correctly, tire clearance

Now, I know that opinions are like ********, everyone has them and they all stink, but I hope that your exhaust goes better than mine. Keep in mind that I have an entire fab shop, casting facilities, and a machine shop at my disposal. If I was to do it again, I would purchase a full system exhaust and keep some free time, but I can understand the desire to create a one of a kind motorcycle.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Superstock

Thank you once again!

Whats up to a fellow Buckeye! Lovin the undertail! When you trimmed the stock fender, what did you use for turn signals? I might hold off on the undertail and go that route if i can find some rear turn signals i like.
i got a clear alternatives led taillight with integrated turn signals, if you're going to go this route make sure you get the clear alternatives brand from everything i,ve heard the knockoffs on ebay are nowhere near as bright i got mine on ebay for 70 shipped

so what part of ohio are you from, i live 20 miles south east of Cleveland little town called chagrin falls

O-H-I-O
Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 AM
Mercenary for hire
Squid

Thank you once again!

Dude, id love to see that also! Do you have any pics? Thanks for the info on the quality being great!
I'll post some pics on here for you tonight, i have been meaning to do it for awhile now. Have to take care of my fellow buckeye!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 AM
SuperSport

Mine is identical to Billzilla only in yellow. I found that the turn signals with the undertail are nearly impossible to see from the back as the LED focus is quite narrow and they are pointed a bit to the sides. I added an integral tail light also, but not the clear Alternatives; one of the knock offs. Perhaps not as bright - don't know, never compared side to side, but they are visible from the back and it gets the job done
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by autoteach
it looks like he has an integrated tail light. at which point he bought that is the question. as for creating an undertail exhaust...
Holy.... I didnt realize it was that involved. I think if someone made one i could just bolt on, it would be worth the extra duckets to spring for that. Thank you for your insight!

i got a clear alternatives led taillight with integrated turn signals, if you're going to go this route make sure you get the clear alternatives brand from everything i,ve heard the knockoffs on ebay are nowhere near as bright i got mine on ebay for 70 shipped

so what part of ohio are you from, i live 20 miles south east of Cleveland little town called chagrin falls

O-H-I-O
Cool, ill look the C.A. brand up tonight and see if i cant find me one. I was born in Akron, raised in Cuyahoga falls, Then moved out to Suffield. What did you do with your seat key lock when you removed the stock fender?

I'll post some pics on here for you tonight, i have been meaning to do it for awhile now. Have to take care of my fellow buckeye!
Cool id appreciate it! Tressel had me scared this weekend. i didnt think they were gonna pull it off against Navy!

Mine is identical to Billzilla only in yellow. I found that the turn signals with the undertail are nearly impossible to see from the back as the LED focus is quite narrow and they are pointed a bit to the sides. I added an integral tail light also, but not the clear Alternatives; one of the knock offs. Perhaps not as bright - don't know, never compared side to side, but they are visible from the back and it gets the job done
I read that on here also about the undertail turn signals not being big enough. Thank you, ill keep that in mind! What was the price difference for your taillight if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by Mike996; 09-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 AM
Superstock

What did you do with your seat key lock when you removed the stock fender?

here's what i did, this is all before the mototech undertail
i took everything off

trimmed it to very minimum

Filled in All the holes including the lock cylinder

Painted The Whole Thing Flat Black

Then I Driled a Hole On The Under side for the Lock

This allows you to put the plate directly under the taillight instead of hanging down under the reflector and for plate lights i used the led bolt light from herehttp://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...#LED_Tag_Bolts

and youre all done hope this helped

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Superstock

What did you do with your seat key lock when you removed the stock fender?

here's what i did, this is all before the mototech undertail
i took everything off

trimmed it to very minimum

Filled in All the holes including the lock cylinder

Painted The Whole Thing Flat Black

Then I Driled a Hole On The Under side for the Lock

This allows you to put the plate directly under the taillight instead of hanging down under the reflector and for plate lights i used the led bolt light from herehttp://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...#LED_Tag_Bolts

and youre all done hope this helped

That pictorial helped out immensely! Thank you a ton for the help!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Superstock

That pictorial helped out immensely! Thank you a ton for the help!
no problem if you got any more questions let me know, post pics when you're done i'm interested to see how it turns out
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

I read that on here also about the undertail turn signals not being big enough. Thank you, ill keep that in mind! What was the price difference for your taillight if you dont mind me asking?

Mine came off Ebay - Jat racing. It was $49 + Shipping. About $60 altogether. At the time it was the least expensive I could find. As I said I do not have a CA to compare to, but I think it works fine
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Mercenary for hire
Squid

no problem if you got any more questions let me know, post pics when you're done i'm interested to see how it turns out
Zilla, we need to get together for a ride sometime.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Superstock

i'm down but Mcarthur is a hike and a half for me, we could meet halfway some time or hit me up if you're ever remotely close to Cleveland
Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Superstock

Mine came off Ebay - Jat racing. It was $49 + Shipping. About $60 altogether. At the time it was the least expensive I could find. As I said I do not have a CA to compare to, but I think it works fine

Since we cant compare it to the CA version.... how does it compare to the stock one? sorry for asking a billion questions.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I CHOPPED MINE OFF WITH DREMEL AND NEVER EVER TOOK IT OFF BIKE
Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
that one on ebay is for a rc51 it wont work
Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 PM
SuperSport

Since we cant compare it to the CA version.... how does it compare to the stock one? sorry for asking a billion questions.
I think it fits just as well as the OEM did. I guess I'm more concerned about how log the LEDs will last. Time will tell....
Old 10-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I made my own integrated tail. The mototek blinkers are very hard to see, especially on a yellow tail.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTRumble
I made my own integrated tail. The mototek blinkers are very hard to see, especially on a yellow tail.

Oh wow... i see what you mean. Thanks for posting that up!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Im in columbus. Ride come springtime?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
The Mototech undertail requires that you cut the tool storage tray out. The seat release key relocates and the LED turn signals wire right up. They have an optional; running light connection (grey wires) but they are not very bright and I think they detract from the turn signal visibility.

I glued a piece of plastic over the section I removed from the undertray so I could keep documents and such under the seat without them falling down into the undertail.
Attached Thumbnails School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust-p1010112.jpg   School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust-p1010113.jpg   School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust-p1010114.jpg   School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust-p1010115.jpg   School me on fender deletes & undertail exhaust-p1010116.jpg