Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

ruined brand new tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
ruined brand new tire

whelp.... messed up a brand new rear bt016 pro tires trying to install on my own this evening... very upset with myself for not waiting for help and messing up a brand new tire

the belt came out of the tire edge in a couple places... wont hold any air, so i am having to order another one and im just going to chalk it up to a learning experience and try the zip tie method when the new one comes

any tips on making changes easier would be great, i just installed new bearings all around in the rear and then proceded to mess up the rim edge with the tire irons... also made me quite angy
Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Squid

sorny is on a distinguished road
I used the zip tie method on a rear tire on my 79 Yamaha XS1100. The rear is probably a little wider than the front on my SH but anyways the zip tie method worked AWESOME. Used it to remove the old tire and had it popped off in 5 min. Sprayed a little more soapy water (not too soapy, just enough to get it wet, that's what she said) and had the new one right on in less than 10 min. Not sure how it'd work on a REAR SS tire since they're so huge but for a front you're good. I probably used about 10-12 tires around my tire, maybe overkill but I had a pack of 36 so meh.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by sorny
I used the zip tie method on a rear tire on my 79 Yamaha XS1100. The rear is probably a little wider than the front on my SH but anyways the zip tie method worked AWESOME. Used it to remove the old tire and had it popped off in 5 min. Sprayed a little more soapy water (not too soapy, just enough to get it wet, that's what she said) and had the new one right on in less than 10 min. Not sure how it'd work on a REAR SS tire since they're so huge but for a front you're good. I probably used about 10-12 tires around my tire, maybe overkill but I had a pack of 36 so meh.
ok great i am for sure going to do it this way the next time around, i hate wasting money... especially when its mine

but i am itching to ride so it must be done
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I am afraid to ask how you did that. You arent supposed to use a sawsall.

I have spent a million hours, & blood, sweat and tears changing tires.

You can get decent irons at harbor frieght for real cheap. I would recommend plastic rim savers too (very cheap). I actually bought a HF tire changer and no-mar iron & its STILL not easy.

Watch this series of tube vids. It gives you an idea of how to do it.

This is the ziptie method, I have done this too.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah, these things

Motorcycle Rim Savers Tire Iron Wheel Nylon Protector Tool | eBay
Old 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I have removed and mounted tires on the SuperHawk using both tire irons and zip ties. I will not be using tire irons in the future. I used 12 ties evenly spaced around the tire. I then leave four ties in place so I can still rotate the tire on the rim to find and line up the tire/rim heavy/light spots. The zip tie method is easy, fast and doesn't risk damage to the rim.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
I spend $ 25.00 at the local shop !
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Tire irons, rim protectors my whole life. Never heard of tie-wrap method til now, will def try that. Any tips for balance? I used dyna beads on the last set, they were tube type though.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 AM
MotoGP

That set of vids I posted "minimalist tire change" shows balancing.

I read and independant test that said for sure dyna beads dont work. Made sense.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

Hey bearshawk, here is a good deal on those tires

BRIDGESTONE - Battlax BT016 Pro Street Motorcycle Tires - Bridgestone - Popular Brands - Tires - CycleGear - Cycle Gear
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

thats not a bad deal at all! however i have a local guy who will match any price i find online and i found one on ebay new for 119 so i got it for 120 to my door from this guy, really nice
Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hopey
I spend $ 25.00 at the local shop !
i live in the boonies of northern mn and there isnt a shop that will do MC tires... sadly
Old 07-24-2013, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I read and independant test that said for sure dyna beads dont work. Made sense.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have using dyna beads for almost 6K mi. and they have worked perfectly. There may be some combination of tire/wheel/bike that they don't work with. I wonder who did the test? Or better yet who paid for the test.
I would love to read the test report. Would you post a link if you have it?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
MotoGP

Actually, it was Motorcycle Consumer News. They have no advertisements in them for that specific reason. They tell it like it is.

Think of the principal, the beads are not stable, they are supposed to "find" the light spot? By whay majic? And at stops they settle back to the bottom? So for the first many revolutions they are in one spot?

One of the testers hosts moto tours for a living & agreed. Wouldnt tire manufacturers back them if they worked? Wouldnt racers & pro riders & tire guys use them? None do.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually, it was Motorcycle Consumer News. They have no advertisements in them for that specific reason. They tell it like it is.

Think of the principal, the beads are not stable, they are supposed to "find" the light spot? By whay majic? And at stops they settle back to the bottom? So for the first many revolutions they are in one spot?

One of the testers hosts moto tours for a living & agreed. Wouldnt tire manufacturers back them if they worked? Wouldnt racers & pro riders & tire guys use them? None do.
Actually, not majic... Physics... You can argue all day that they don't work, doesn't change the fact that they do indeed do all they are claimed too... The physics is there... Plain and simple...

But that doesn't mean they work for racing... The dynamic system just isn't fast enough for it... For touring though, they actually work excellent, doing just what they are claimed to do, ie balance better than the average static balancing...
Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 AM
SuperSport

The front tire I used dynabeads on has 16, 000 and is ready to be replaced. No problems. Wonder if they'd work ok on our Superhawks?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jerryh
The front tire I used dynabeads on has 16, 000 and is ready to be replaced. No problems. Wonder if they'd work ok on our Superhawks?
Probably not that well... Same as racing, they just aren't fast enough... Like I said, touring works fine...
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 AM
MotoGP

If you want to use them you can. I wont.

Here is a goldwinger who concurs. Pretty sure they have a few millon miles to compare
Dyna Beads and the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

On venture rider Dyna Beads = Wasted Money - VentureRider.Org

If you like them, and dont mind adding weight to the carcass, and believe in them, go ahead.

But MCN is an independant tester, and I have yet to find anyone disagreeing with them that didnt already pay for the beads, and therefore is invested to say they work.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
But MCN is an independant tester, and I have yet to find anyone disagreeing with them that didnt already pay for the beads, and therefore is invested to say they work.
Out of fairness, it appears that all three of those references in your link relate to one MCN test in which they put beads in a tire on a balancer 5 times and couldn't get it to balance. 5 tests on one tire hardly constitutes as a scientific study accounting for any variables.

I am also reading that the speeds that conventional tire balancers operate at (35mph) aren't fast enough to get the effect of the beads finding the high spots and staying there from centripetal force. Without getting into it, this makes sense to me. At zero mph, the beads clearly don't work, but you don't need a balanced tire at zero mph. So there has to be some point where they are effective (and if they are effective). Mentally it's obvious that 5mph wouldn't work, so I'm not going to say I know where the transition point is, so saying 35mph wouldn't work is plausible without even doing research or any physics.

Last edited by 7moore7; 07-25-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM
MotoGP

If you want to use them you can. I wont.

Here is a goldwinger who concurs. Pretty sure they have a few millon miles to compare
Dyna Beads and the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

On venture rider Dyna Beads = Wasted Money - VentureRider.Org

If you like them, and dont mind adding weight to the carcass, and believe in them, go ahead.

I don't use them, and I probably never will, since I'm not doing much touring...

Didn't say you had to use them either...

So, no I'm not invested in them working... But it still doesn't change the fact that both you and MCN are wrong... Ie, yes, I'm disagreeing with MCN...

Physics are still physics, no matter what MCN writes... And I do believe the speed needed is greater than 35 Mph, but I can't tell you exactly how much... And, like 7moore7 said, those links all reference the same rather inconclusive and substandard test...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 AM
SuperSport

I want to change the subject....lets talk about oil.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Squid

lol oil and tires always gets people going
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Oil works great as balancing fluid in motorcycle tires. You must use motorcycle specific oil, however. Cage oil does not have sufficient center of gravity.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Squid

What about synthetic? Will it be so thin that it seeps out of any plugs in the tires?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

If you use synthetic, it will make your clutch slip. I thought everybody knew that.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM
MotoGP

That's why you need to put in friction additives to synthetic. I'm always looking for the DIY version, though, so I just put in finely ground sand.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Sand will throw your tire balance off. Sorry 7moore7, but physics is physics. Pea gravel on the other hand...
Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 PM
MotoGP

Here's what I think of your "physics":
Magical Mysteries Snl | Dula TV
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I stand corrected.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Superstock

guys we are really off topic here... i hear the cam chain tensioners have a tendency to break on these bikes is that true as well?

Quick Reply: ruined brand new tire