Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

RC51 rear end on superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
RC51 rear end on superhawk

Hey guys I'm actually thinking about going through with this. I'm ordering a full set RC51 fairing. I know the front fairing will work with some work.. But I really like the rear end too. The only problem is I don't know if I need to swap the rear sub frame too or not. The way the rc51 rear sub frame look i dont think it will fit on a superhawk anyway. But I was just wondering if it will just fit with some work on a superhawk sub frame some work maybe?. It would be neat to have a full rc51 conversion since my rear faring is pretty much shot. paint is bad and plus last storm tear the seat crawl clean off ( found it in the backyard the next day)
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I believe the SP-2 subframe is lighter than the SP-1 unit. Either way, if you can make it fit, you should shed some weight as I believe the RC (at least the SP-2) sub is made from aluminum (instead of steel like on the VTR). Keep us posted, this could be a future avenue for me
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
There was a for sale post on the forum for a SP subframe and adapters to put them on a superhawk. Don't remember how long ago. They may have never sold.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Superstock

I will keep you guys posted once the project start hopefully by next week. I have some other thing to take care of first.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
RC rear cowl fits very badly on the stock subframe and you would have to fabricate all mounts for saddle/locks and so on... Like Erik said, there was however someone who fitted a SP subframe... As far as I know he just made adapter plates for the lower bolt/arm...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Superstock

Hey Tweety i'm thinking about saving some money since the sub frame going to cost me another 150. You think with some welding fab it might work? as long as it support me on the seat it will be okay.. I'm getting a full set race fairing
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A stock RC rear end... With lots and lots of creativity and work... possibly...

A sharskins RC rear end with no real saddle (you glue a pad on it) yeah... No sweat... But you get zero storage, zero comfort and a 50% fit...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Superstock

That's what i need to know tweety thanks. I'm thinking about making my own seat pad using come car seat material and a gel pad. about storage i haven't come up with an idea yet. Maybe some velco tape and a small bag on top of the gas tank for insurance paperwork and reg. Also paint thinking about going all black again maybe some red since my helmet is red and black. Hopefully i can have my stuff order by the end of the week. and have it by next week. having my finger crossed the whole week now hoping everything will go to plan.. hahaha
Old 04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Superstock

good news guys I just order the fairing with a rc51 windscreen to come with it.. Should be here hopefully next week. I'ma go ahead and strip down my bike and get it ready. Will take picture and keep you guys up to date.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Superstock

It's coming
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive got a gixxer tail and subframe on it. the subframe had to be cut and rewelded to fit cause it was a little too long. other than that its not bad. but i have a solo tail so have zero storage on it. although the gixxer seat is lightyears ahead of the stock honda seat in terms of comfort. anything is possible
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Squid

VTR steve is on a distinguished road
R1 seat unit and subframe can be fitted too bit of work but well worth it

Name:  DSCF0943.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  DSCF0945.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0946.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  150.1 KB

Get the option of a little storage and rear pegs/seat
Old 06-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Squid

helimd is on a distinguished road
Beautiful! I do believe that Honda probably intended for the 'Hawk to look like this. Sadly, all of the R&D money probably was gone by the time the back end was ready for the drawing board. Nice job. How much work was necessary for the subframe and exhaust?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
That is a great looking conversion steve. Is that a custom made exhaust or a commercialy available one?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sorry for the threadjack, but Steve, is that a Mori lower? If so, we need to talk. I have one ready for paint but have no mounting hardware. Need some valuable info from you. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Squid

VTR steve is on a distinguished road
Helimd

There is a far amount of welding and cutting to be done but the seat and electrics was easy.

Bluesuperhawk83

The cans i made myself and the link pipe was made by a company in the UK called Zorstec.

Hawkrider

It is a copy of a Mori if you need any info or pics just pm me
Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome....

gotta tell you guy's... that yellow bike and the red one with tail swaps look bad ***...

I haven't ever really considered swapping my tail out, but considering the total lack of storage on the VTR tail, I just may start considering looking for a donor to swap out.

Can't wait to see the pictures of your work...
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Superstock

Actually guys this post was made before i order.. But i did complete my project with no welding or anything.. it look even better when i have all the vynl strip on it but some 17yr old girl ran it over.. So its getting fix and repaint now to white with peral purple and black.. let you guys know when I get her back
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Superstock

hey josh i have a thread on my project on the forum.. but it is completed a month and a hlaf ago.. it look pretty badd *** I didn't even got a chance to take a photo with the stripe on there.. but oh well new picture comign soon.. fairing will be done monday or tuesday..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Looks good man... sorry i'll search for your other thread... i haven't been on here in a while...

I like what you did though, ran it a little higher like i did to keep the fairing line along the frame... It fit slightly lower, but then the frame came to high and to much exposure just didn't look good to me...

I want to sell my RC fairings and start over again... I've got some new headlights and I want to run them on the sides but it would ruin my paint scheme as one side has a number plate and the other has the VTR letters on it... Plus then i can repaint it... I think next go around, I'm gonna paint the entire fairings in the candy tahitian blue, and then let my sign girl go to town with stripes and letters then i'll shoot a clear over it all... Just much easier than the painting and taping I did last year... Plus it would probably look better...

I'm seriously considering a custom tail... i got my fairings with a tail also, but I'm really digging that R1 tail on it... I'm gonna head to the bike salvage yard not to far from here on Wednesday and see what kinda tails i can find that are complete and cheap....
Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Superstock

Yours fit alot better then mine i got mine from pit eck. I think yours is from sharkskin.. This is the highest i can go without breaking the fiberglass.. I did mesh it later but never got a chance to take picture. Yours look really good thought.. I will post new picture after i get it back

here the most recent picture.. ahhaah
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

no pictures attached???

lol

anyway... I got my fairings on ebay... I was told they where sharkskinz knock off's.... but where supposed to be identical to them, with the exception of not as good of a finish quality when i got them... They where supposed to be paint ready, but i found i needed to smooth some stuff out before they ended up being paint ready... my guess is somebody just 100% duplicated the skinz, but of course didn't put the work into them as sharkskinz would before shipping...

but I'm happy either way...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Superstock

Work for me you have to login to see it.. i think i dont know.. But yea I wasn't happy with mine since they were predrilled.. The fiberglass work was poor.. horrible it was off.. not even... not as flexible as you want fiberglass to be.. I have to even it out myself.. But after that it was pretty good.. I did alot of cutting to fit it.. I got words that my fairing is primed and ready for paint.. Hopefully done before july 4th.. i think i saw your fairing on ebay too.. I was going to order new ones but figure i save more money getting it fix and paint then ordering new one then have it paint