Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Poor man's rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Squid

Dutch
Poor man's rear end

I've pretty much finished my rear fender elimination. Nothing new I just thought I'd share my rear end! Trailer light wiring kit integrates the signals and it works pretty well. I inserted an aluminum foil-wrapped divider between the bulbs to isolate the lighting. It takes a heat gun and a bunch of silicone caulk to disassemble and re-assemble the tailight unit. It's a lot of work but helps quite a bit with the signal visibility. In terms of legality, I'm sure the wheelies, offensively loud exhaust, and excessive speeds are more likely to get you pulled over.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Re: Poor man's rear end

Cops here don't care about loud exhaust, evidenced by all the Hardleys with straight pipes. And it's hard to exhibit excessive speed or wheelies in 20 mph bumper to bumper traffic.

But I GUARANTEE you'd get pulled over in a millisecond for that "invisible" license plate, in Nashville. You'd do better to staple it to the back of your riding jacket. As a matter of fact, the last time I watched a rider in my group get pulled over for a setup like that, the cop wrote a ticket, then demanded the rider mount the tag somewhere visible before getting back on the road, or the cop was going to impound the bike. They'll let you get away with a lot of stuff, but if they can't see your license plate they WILL hammer you. If you're getting pulled over every 10 miles, you'll never have a chance to pull wheelies, blast your exhaust, or get up to excessive speeds.

Nobody likes messing up the clean lines of their tail with a license plate, but most folks like being pulled over and getting tickets even less. Unless you want to be funding the next Fraternal Order of Police ball, my friendly advice would be to find a more visible place to mount your tag. 8)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:51 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah... i was thinking of doing the same tail mod, except i was going to use the license plate to cover up the area where the reflector is, and install a clear piece of plastic on the underside of the tail light to illuminate the plate. looks good.... especially for being free!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Squid

wheeliefun996

Like this?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:08 PM
MotoGP

just like that... nicely done!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Squid

wheeliefun996

Cheap, easy, and I like the way it looks way better. The key is a pain but not to bad, I don't ever take the seat off so it does'nt bug me.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:00 PM
MotoGP

i've seen alot of people that just drill a hole through thier license plate so that they can still access the lock
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
I was actually looking for an undertail.....but now that I see what it looks like hacked off....I might go that route and save myself a bunch of money....

What a good thing option for the plate would be is where the reflector is replace it with something bodged where the plate can be removed easily, like clipped in so the wind won't swipe it off. That way you can still use your "trunk" and still have a plate without having to buy anything over $10.....

And on the sides of the left over plastic, like in the 1st pic, you can mount those little LP lights

on the sides. Simple drill hole, mount, and wire...and you still have turn signals with a CLEAN look....

hmm...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Squid

chrisf608
I made my own eliminator i hacked the whale tail off and made a plate out of a sheet of stainless looks pretty sweet i also relocated the key under the plate so ya cant see it. I tryed the trailer intigrator it dosent work that good with the led brake lights i have stock bulbs were fine but leds sucked so i bought some tiny led signals of ebay for like 15 bucks and mounted them to the plate ill post pics when i learn how could somene email me and tell me how please?:0
Old 02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I can show you how to use periods.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
I can show you how to use periods.
LMFAO,,,,,I am rolling.................Here borrow some of these............................................. ...................
Old 02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

Used an Aluminum plate, rivited on.....drill hole for lock....plate is fastened with wing nuts, so undo one side and plate swings down....
Old 02-09-2006, 02:15 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point

rear
rear 2

using the image button didn't seem to work... anyways there's mine. don't worry that signal is fixed. nice pipes btw offensively loud is a good word for them
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Squid

xxxrated

in the UK the police are complete ***** when it comes to things like no plates so ive done pretty much as much as i can without getting busted every time i go out