Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

The new look.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Squid

vtr_pilot
The new look.

I thought it would be nice to show some people my '99 VTR streetfighter; it's not quite complete but it's roadworthy. It has a 01' 929RR front end, RC51 gauge cluster, twin bates style headlamp (all the way from the UK), custom fabricated turn signal/headlamp brackets and a modified RC51 sub-frame/tail section. All the engine mods are scheduled for this winter.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: The new look.

WOW, nice job!

I especially like the rc subframe/tail. Please, more pics and details on the install. What are your using on the underside? I'm interested in doing this.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
umm.... wow!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR

Nice bike...
What spedo/tach did you use? It looks much more compact the one I have on my streetfighter. Did you have the radiators powder coated? They look real sharp! Is the front fender going to be painted? It would look more harmonious if it were painted black/red to match the tail (IMHO). Overall a great job!

So how does it ride???
Old 09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Squid

vtr_pilot

I will get some more pics on today, but here is the skinny. The RC sub-frame lower mount was hacked off; then the mount "ear" was freed from the square tubing via a belt sander, and then welded into place back on the sub-frame. I then made a 6.5" adjustable link, strut if you will, with heim joints in either end. I took some aircraft tubing and made a press fit fitting from a hex metric coupling nut, then pressed it in. With this I can adjust the angle on my tail to a more extreme look. The under tail is a relatively cheap one from eBay, cheap in quality too. I have decided to go with a new one this winter don't know which manufacturer yet. The LED brake lights are a custom fabricated deal by me for about $27, they aren't super bling but I like them. I am making something more precision looking on my lathe and mill. The front end is great! It handles much better than stock. I used a '03 RC51 speedo, I don't have any tach right now as I have to figure out the signal it needs and I have to replace the temp sensor on my VTR with the one from a RC to read correct temp. Everything else works, though I had to substitute the FI light on the RC gauge for the sidestand light on the VTR gauge. I used the Marine Dress Blues as a theme on my bike, I was a Marine btw, the white fender represents the cover (hat); what is missing right now is the EGA and the black paint that is the bill on the cover.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Back Marker

Besucher98

Did you sell the the fairings yet? If no, are you going to???? I got me a yellow beast and am interested in them.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Squid

vtromey

dude, that is a schweet a$$ ride! good to see em different from the rest!
my question, what handle bar set up did you use? 929's under the triple?i'm planning on a 929 front end as well but currently looking at handle bar options. guess you have the freedom to clip on under the triple since the fairings are off, or would your bars still clear the fairing if you had one?
any concerns with the 929 front end?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 AM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, Pilot, this is kinda weird. I am currently building a streetfighter from a yellow 1999 SuperHawk using a 954 front end and a RC51 gauge cluster. I was wondering how you did/are adapting the wiring to the new cluster. I also wanted to know what you think of the clusters visability during day/night time viewing. Any input would be a huge help. Thanks a lot.