Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Mounting of no-cut frame sliders

Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Mounting of no-cut frame sliders

Hello,

I recently bought a set of frame sliders on eBay. They are very similar to the T-Rex, but have no name, and the seller claimed he had no idea who the maker was ("I got them from a local shop, I don't know who made them").

I mounted them, and there is a gap between the offset bracket and the frame. This seems counter-intuitive to me - I would think you would want the offset bracket to rest directly on the frame so it would at least have a fighting chance, strength-wise. Seems like this would have so much leverage against the bracket and the bolt that one or the other would snap in even the most trivial of situations.

Can anyone conform my theory? (pics attached)

I'm thinking of making a shim out of some rectangular aluminum bar that is just the thickness of the gap. I might even cut a hole in a piece that is long enough to span the gap to the upper frame to give it some extra support in case it ever actually does get used (fingers crossed, knock on wood).

You can really only see the gap on the first picture, the others are just for people to see what they look like.

Mounting of no-cut frame sliders-imgp1024.jpg Mounting of no-cut frame sliders-imgp1023.jpg Mounting of no-cut frame sliders-imgp1025.jpg
Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i have similar ones. looks right to me. those brackets are tougher than you might think.

Last edited by jay956; 11-12-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Squid

enjoype09 is on a distinguished road
Mounting of no cut frame sliders

Yep, youve been told but just to impress it upon you. Dont waste your money. If you go down, they will break off. They are almost worthless. Save your money for a real set of frame sliders which actually bolt to the frame instead of over it.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
What you have is identical, in design, to the T-Rex. Provided the material is the same, these will provide the same level of protection as the above mentioned slider.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by enjoype09
Yep, youve been told but just to impress it upon you. Dont waste your money. If you go down, they will break off. They are almost worthless. Save your money for a real set of frame sliders which actually bolt to the frame instead of over it.
Well., you are certainly entiteled to your opinion... But I have been down with T-rex sliders... The end result was I needed new delrin pieces... The steel bracket neither broke or bent and no damage was done to the bike apart from the brake lever & pedal plus footpeg and scratches to the mirror...

I have also seen a friend have a little "oopsie" at around 75 mph on the track... The end result was similar to the above picture... The bracket bent... He needed to replace fairings and tank plus footpeg and clipon... But considering the speed, the damage was all very minor and easily repaired...
Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I've seen another member's bike on here with them that went down, it bent the slider all the way back to where the bracket gouged the frame a bit, but didn't break off.

It's not the best solution, but it works.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
my T-rex are similar to yours and they have a thick washer between the head of the allen bolt and the bracket.

I see you have yours mounted toward the rear. mine were bothering me in that position(hitting my knee when coming off the side). So I moved them forward to touch the fairing and tried them there for a while. Still didn't like how they felt and ground off 1/2" of plastic from underside to move them even further forward(down over the lip of the fairing). Now they feel good and can even brace my knee on them to stabilize during lean(have armor at knee).

may be diff for you though since I rotated my foot rests around and inch to the rear(and 1.5" up), so this changes knee position.

I believe they may be somewhat stronger in the forward position(at 2 o'clock rather than at 12 o'clock).

Last edited by nath981; 12-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jay956
i have similar ones. looks right to me. those brackets are tougher than you might think.
which position did you have that mounted,toward the rear, up, or toward the front? Looks like straight up.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
which position did you have that mounted,toward the rear, up, or toward the front? Looks like straight up.
couldnt tell you, it was from the previous owner
Old 12-13-2009, 03:26 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jay956
couldnt tell you, it was from the previous owner
okay Jay. thanks. looks like it was mounted vertical by the bend and the end damage.