Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Squid

Jokers996 is on a distinguished road
Mod Questions

Ok I haven't seen this thread yet and I was curious does anyone have any pics of a Hawk with a 240 or 300 back tire? And I have been thinking of replacing my sub frame with a sub frame of a ZX14 or ZX10 will this even work or am I wasting my time. I found a website that build custom swingarms and they will also take your stock wheel and widen it to fit these tires. Can someone help me please. Thank you
Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
This is a purely cosmetic mod... And it's in no way an upgrade, as it will make the bike handle like crap... Turning caracteristics will be slow and wobbly... I also imagine straightline will be affected, as the only swap's I have seen so far where 190 tires...

As for swapping in another swingarm, start measuiring, there are a whole list of measurements that needs to line up... The first being the pivot axle, size and length and then the centerline... I imagine going the custom route will be a lot easier... But guess what... It will probably be cheaper to buy another bike...¨

If you want a "sane" mod, try a 190 tire... Or swap on a RC51/SP2 swingarm like me and then run a 6" rim (stock for that bike) that can handle possibly a 200?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't you also need to make a longer output shaft for the tranny (60mm for the 300 tire)? New slave cylinder location and also move the footpegs.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Squid

Jokers996 is on a distinguished road
I already have a 190 Corsa III tire on it. I love this bike and I won't buy another lol I'm stuborn lol. I'm just wanting to go custom with this bike I was thinking about the 240 tire cause I know about the handling issues of a 300 and changing the swingarm is not purely cosmetic because like you said it will affect the turning characterists. But I wasn't for sure Heck I thought about putting the 750 single sided on it but I'm just wanting to custom it the 240 swing arm runs around $3000 and the 300 runs around $4000
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 AM
MotoGP

True, the effects aren't just cosmetic... But the reasons sure are, as there are no positive reasons what-so-ever to do this mod in terms of handling or performance... just downsides...

And as Gregw said... There are a lot of things needs to be done... Most of them cost money...

And BTW as seen in the thread about the stretched RC... I reserve the right to ridicule if I happen to dislike the result... But don't let that stop you... I'm boored out of my skull not riding (broken collarbone on the mend) and need someone to taunt...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
There aren't any kits available for the Hawk right now otherwise I'd have a 240 on mine. Anything wider than 240 would probably be easiest to use a jackshaft swingarm. For me it would be purely cosmetic cuz the fat *** end of the Hawk needs a wider tire to look good. Plus I don't give a crap about corner carving since I ride purely street and drag strip and since the Hawk isn't a fast bike anyway it doesn't matter that the extra weight would slow it down a bit. For the time being I'll just do the SSS conversion and a different tail section.
________
Vapir no2

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

I'm not going to argue about what people do on their bikes, all of us have different ideas and preferences... But saying the hawk isn't a fast bike might be a bit off... You try following me in the corners and you'll probably find that you won't go faster on any current literbike... Entirely possible that you'll be left behind as well...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I'm not going to argue about what people do on their bikes, all of us have different ideas and preferences... But saying the hawk isn't a fast bike might be a bit off... You try following me in the corners and you'll probably find that you won't go faster on any current literbike... Entirely possible that you'll be left behind as well...
Exactly right. When I bought my VTR, I had, and could have easily spent twice as much money for an I-4 literbike with 50% more H.P. at 13500 rpm. So what? The VTR makes about the same power from idle to 8k rpm, where I spend 99.9% of my time.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
The only thing I see a 240 or a 300 tire doing is making your bike slower, turn worse, and be more expensive. Might as well run a car tire on there, at least you'll get long life out of the tires.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
+1. Top end power isn't all you need to have a fast bike. The hawk has all the attributes you need ride it as fast as nearly anything out there. Mostly what it comes down to is the rider's skill, not the bike's power. I leave brand new liter bikes far off in my mirrors all the time.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
When I say the Hawk isn't a fast bike I'm not talking about in the twisties because I don't ride fast in twisties or on a road course. I refer strictly to drag racing. That's why I say, for me, the 240 tire wouldn't hinder my performance or handling on the street.
________
VAPIR OXYGEN

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:43 AM.