Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Squid

k'tana is on a distinguished road
Lowering kits

Hello all...let me first introduce myself...My name is Kena and I just bought my first bike. I have a 03 VTR 1000...this is my very first bike every...I am really excited about learning the ropes...I was wondering if I could get some help...I am looking for a lowering kit. I have found every kit out there except the one for the VTR 1000...I really need to lower this bike about 2 inches...I am only 5'4'' but I fell in love at first sight...please help!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
A couple of things..

First, as far as I know there are no lowering kits for our bike. So your best bet is to get one custom made by a local machine shop. However this will cost you a pretty penny and possibly compromise the handling. (especially since one of the things done to improve handling on VTRs is to raise the rear) In the mean time what can be done is set the preload down to the lowest setting, and possibly raise the forks in the triples a bit to lower the front a tad.

Second, you got a 1000cc street bike for your first bike ever? One saving grace is that it is a well behaved bike, however I hate to sound too harsh, but a Ninja 500 would have been a much better learners bike. (yes several members on this forum have started out on a VTR and been ok, but in general a lower power and lighter bike is safer to learn on)
Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Squid

ok...thanks for the information...and yes I know but for the price I couldn't let this bike slip away...it only had 905 miles on it....plus I have a very good teacher...I have had the bike for a week now and have not actually "rode" it yet...I am really getting to know the bike and learning all about it...but again thanks for the information
Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Be careful is all I am saying. It is a great bike, and you can learn on it. It's just that a panicked wrist twist on a big bike is a whole different thing than the same mistake on a little one.

Have you adjusted the shock as low as it can go? There is a surprising amount of height change with just that.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Yikes. Big bike for a first bike is a bad move. Just like a 16 year shouldn't have his first car be a ferrari...Not saying you will crash, (and I hope you don't) but nobody is above mistakes, and like lazn said, what would be a small mistake on a ninja will be a huge mistake on your vtr. And the sweet deal you got won't be so sweet if it's wrecked in a week. I don't listen to ayone else either though, so I just hope you're safe and don't get hurt.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
You have enrolled or taken the MSF basic rider course right?!

If not I highly reccomend that you take it.

Buy gear that will last you.

Frame sliders would not be a bad idea...

Welcome!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
I didn't mean to be so negative I just don't want to see anybody get hurt man. Welcome!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
k'tana
I don't know where you are based exactly, probably not in the UK though. Hagon shocks here in the UK can supply a lowering shock for the Superhawk (Firestorm in the UK). I've seen them come up for sale on Ebay occasionally but don't know anything about them. In this link it's the second pricing down:- http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagMono.htm

Only an idea if no one else nearer can supply one.

As others have said I wouldn't recommend a Superhawk VTR1000 as your first bike either. Do take care on it, as it doesn't take much to have a mis-hap!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
supermatt996
Squid

supermatt996 is on a distinguished road
dont let them scare you the hawk was my first bike and i only layed it down twice haha. just learn to ride within your limits. everyone is different and you could learn on this bike just fine. now a brand new gixer is a bad bike to start on
Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Squid

Well first let me say thank you for all of the concern...and no I didn't take anyone's advice as "negative" I understand that you all are just looking out for me. Second yes my friend/teacher ;-) has adjusted the shocks and that has really made a big difference for me...right now I am still doing circles in the partking lots (really making sure that get to know the bike and what it can do and what I can do with it)...

I am not going to hit the streets until I know that I am good and ready...and yes I am going to get some frame sliders...I just got the bottom fairing (that I am not going to have put on the bike until I am really really comfortable)...please keep the suggestions coming!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
Superhawk was my first bike and i've had no problems. Like the others have said, it is very well behaved. I don't think there is a better liter sized bike out there in regards to being kind to the rider.

What it comes down to (and it's true with any bike) is, if you're not an idiot about riding too fast, weaving, and wearing your gear. you're gonna settle in real fast and absolutely fall in love with it.

Keep it rubber side down and welcome!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Squid

THANKS BUNDLEOFGRUNDLE!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
welcome! You're going to love that v-twin when you get it out on the open road and let her breathe! Once you are comfortable that is Good advice from everyone and all I can say is enjoy the freedom a motorcycle gives and keep it rubber down...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
this is my 4th bike, 2nd 1k cc, and 1st v twin. they can jump on you even if your not new to the bike world. just be carefull and never loose respect for the bike. it can and will lash back. that said i understand your love at first sight, mine had the same effect on me, i am only 5'5'' and it seems to fit me just fine. give the bike a chance as is. lowering it will just give you less controll of the bike. and above all else keep the sticky side down and have fun riding.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
yeah, hawk for first bike is ok if you are mature enough to respect it. just be careful and use your brain. good luck and miles of smiles to you.

as for lowering, my hawk came lowered with a very interesting set up. it's a dog bone that is basically a big bolt. the nuts turn the dog bone in and out to lower and raise the rear end to what ever height you want. i(6'2") had to raise the rear back up to stock. i wish i could tell you where to find it.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Lowering or raising the rear will effect the geometry of the bike. In the case of the VTR, raising the rear will improve the steering of the bike, as it does not turn well in stock form.

So in your case, lowering the rear will only exacerbate the problem of the inherent slow steering. This is not good.

The solution is to ensure that the bike is lowered at the rear as well as the front, to ensure correct geometry. This is not particularly difficult for a suspension technician. There are a couple of members on this forum that may be able to undertake the work for you, but I am not certain of this. Otherwise you will need to find a shop that can do it for you.

I think the best option is to shorten the shock rather than change the linkages. This is done by adding an internal spacer on the shock shaft. The spacer stops the shock extending as far as it did before. The front of the bike is then adjusted to suit. The only down side is you will reduce ground clearance a bit, but that is better than not being able to touch the ground.

The VTR has only average suspension to start with, and most people find getting a good tuner to set up the spring rates and valving to suit them is a great improvement. You can get it all done at the same time, which will be more cost efficient.

Keep the rubber side down.