Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Light bulb conversion chart?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Light bulb conversion chart?

Ever notice how bulbs are typically listed in their appropriate fashion, with the Voltage and then Wattage ratings ..... then there's another "bulb type" number?

Does anyone know where I can find a form of "conversion chart"? You know, something that would tell me with a quick glance that a 12V60/55W bulb is the same thing as an H4 bulb?!?!?! Or what type of bulb a 12V32/3CP would be?

I want to try to replace some of the instrument lights with LEDs (basically all of them except those responsible for gauge lighting) and i'm trying to see what's suitable. At the same time i'd like to know what "type" of bulb is used for the Position light above the headlight as i'd like to fabricate an LED array for that spot.

Some kind of chart would be really handy here, if it exists.

PATIA!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Position light above the headlight is a 168/194 wedge bulb. No need to fab up an array, there's not much space & you can get very good results with the high power cool white wedge bulb on superbrightleds.

Tail lights are 7443, you can find a bunch of LED replacements for that on ebay. The brightest set will run you about $30 for a pair, which isn't TOO bad.

Not sure on signal bulbs, but they are most likely bayonet base bulbs.

Gauge cluster lights are all 194/168 wedge. It takes 3 wedges to light up the gauges, and one for each other indicator light (signals, oil pressure, neutral, sidestand, high beam), 9 total. Since they don't have yellow for the gauges (which simulates incandescent light), amber would be the next best thing.
So, say you DID want to do your gauges, you would need:
3 Amber for the gauges
Another 3 amber for the signals & sidestand light
1 red for oil pressure
1 green for neutral
1 blue for high beam
and 1 white for the position light.

A full LED conversion (save signal lights) would run about ~$55. $30 for the tail lights, and the rest on the wedge bulbs.

Last edited by Anto; 11-01-2007 at 04:18 AM.