Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Know Wutz Illegal

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Know Wutz Illegal

Know Wutz Illegal

Even a very slick new forum member like haknslash if you look at his short stem turn signals (see How-to: LED tail retrofit https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=15217) ) is in violation of the LAW. For example, turn signals must be a min of 9" c-c and visible at 200' (and not "obscured"), and plates must be illuminated and also cannot be obscured; i.e., plainly visible at a distance of 60 (not hidden at all or angled much from 90 deg, or hidden behind a tire).

See below for typical state requirements. Some states even have banned license plate "frames".

Its SO bogus to get stopped for any "non-moving" equipment, license, title, registration or insurance card violation. With 2-wheel use now going to rise due to gas prices, there will be many more motorcyclists and bicyclists who will become targets (literally and figuratively) of cagers and cops. The insurance companies are licking their chops too.

Adding anything to OEM spec will attract attention. Excess Exhaust emissions and of course NOISE will also become a even more frequent ticket bait. There are SO many ways to open yourself up for a COP STOP.

I recommend living as close to the letter of the law and to live this motto...

Blinding Stealth, If you are not there they cannot KILL you, and you can’t Hit what you can’t See.

Procedures for Inspection of Motorcycles

(f) Turn signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches. Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches. All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

(b) Headlamps. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two white headlamps whose beam shall be checked in accordance with the specifications provided by the Registrar. The motorcycle headlamp shall be mounted on the front of the motorcycle on the vertical centerline, except that if two headlamps are used, they shall be symmetrically distant from the vertical centerline and equal in height. The height of the headlamps measured from the road surface to the center of the lamp shall be not less than 22 inches nor more than 54 inches. Headlamps on motorcycles manufactured in the year 1986 or later shall throw sufficient light ahead to make clearly visible all vehicles, persons or substantial objects upon the roadway within a distance of 350 feet on a straight highway of uniform grade under normal atmospheric conditions. Headlamps on motorcycles manufactured before 1986 shall throw sufficient light ahead to make clearly visible all vehicles, persons or substantial objects upon the roadway within a distance of 115 feet under the same conditions.

(c) Tail lamps and stop lamps. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one red tail light and at least one red stop lamp. The motorcycle tail lamp and stop lamp shall be mounted on the rear of the motorcycle on the vertical centerline, except that if two are used, they shall be symmetrically distant from the vertical centerline and of equal height. The height of the tail lamps and stop lamps measured from the road surface to the center of the lamp shall be not less than 15 inches nor more than 72 inches. Stop lamps shall be activated with the application of front or rear brakes. Tail lamps shall be activated when the headlamps are activated. Tail lamps and stop lamps shall be visible under normal night time conditions at a distance of 500 feet and stop lamps shall be visible in normal sunlight at a distance of 200 feet.

(d) Plate light. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with a white light so arranged as to illuminate the rear number plate so that it is plainly visible at a distance of 60 feet. Such light shall not emit a tailing glare.

(f) Turn signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches. Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches. All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

Last edited by skokievtr; 06-27-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking the time to spell it out. I try very hard to avoid contact with the police. I carry concealed, and I would guess more often then not, the police don't even know the law concerning concealed carry. It would be my luck to shot by a cop for carrying a weapon to protect myself from a criminal.......

I fully support the police. I just wish they all took the time to know the law.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The plate light problem is easily fixed by dremeling an opening on the bottom of the tail light and gluing translucent white plastic over the opening.
But I'm sure many on the forum have done that. That stock unit is butt ugly.

I've left turn signals stock for visibility. You can't do too much to help yourself to be seen.

Besides, mine is the invisible Titanium color.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I'll go back to legal sound levels and turn signals (integrated tail light) when I get stopped for it. I'm sure the cops around here have no idea (or don't care to keep track of) what's legal as far as turn signal separation and exhaust sound. I don't have a license plate light at all. I also left the front signals stock for the same visibility issue as stated earlier (but the Watsens are calling).
Thanks for making things clear on the requirements. Good to know what's coming!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You know those thick plastic license plate frames dealers add on to promote their business yet most folks don't take off? If any part of those covers any part of the "official markings" of our state plate, you are in violation.

Yup, if that traditional frame is touching any letters, numbers, artwork, or stickers, etc, you can now be pulled over and ticketed the great state of Texas. A "tool" in the war against drugs. Don't get me started, don't EVEN get me started....
Old 06-27-2008, 09:31 PM
SuperBike

There are things U can do

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The plate light problem is easily fixed by dremeling an opening on the bottom of the tail light and gluing translucent white plastic over the opening.
But I'm sure many on the forum have done that. That stock unit is butt ugly.

I've left turn signals stock for visibility. You can't do too much to help yourself to be seen.

Besides, mine is the invisible Titanium color.
If u use red LEDs, while its not stated (I don't won't to split hairs), red illumination of the license plate may not be visible at 60' with the wattage likely provided (given adequate "window" size).

As far as eliminating the fender (regardless of obviously the plate light), I don't like getting soaked by my own rooster tail; so I'll never bob the fender and install an undertail. I even added an extension to my front fender.

As far as improving your visibility, during the day my "arrest me red" VTR does standout. But a headlight modulator, LP Type 3 front turn signals in conjunction with moving the OE turn signals to rear and running a hot for the 3-wire running light (amber lenses are legal), plus a brighter rear tail/stop light &/or auxiliary front & rear brake/driving/position lights, reflectors (applied to helmets, rear cases, fenders, etc), and wearing a SeeME vest all markedly improve your conspicuity. A radar detector that picks up emergency vehicles and construction zones also makes you more alert to what’s around you.

Another bonus of increased conspicuity is you become "Mr. Law Abiding" to the "Man". Believe it or not, I've slid by due to my "Safetyman" persona more times than I can remember. A headlight modulator and SeeMe vest can be a double-edged sword though. As the cager you are following may either pull over to let you by, or slow down; in both cases because they think YOUR ARE D'Man!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Superstock

Can you switch the Headlight modulator on/off?

I commute down the freeway and I would not want to ride behind a car for an hour with my headlight goin high/low. Took me an hour to go 8 miles today. In that kind of traffic the car in front of me can't let me go.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
It depends where you are. What is "illegal" and what is enforced aren't always the same.

Here in Ca., there is a law against excessively loud exhaust, but case law says it is too vague to be enforced, and it isn't. CHP policy is that they don't write tickets for noise, and neither do other police agencies.

On the other hand, if your bike is REALLY loud, cops will notice you and look for some other reason to write you up.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know what the rate of flash when you switch to LED bulbs is without putting in a resistor?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Turn Signals are not required in TN, you can get away with the old Arm in the air as a signal.

Road My Street Legal SuperMoto CRF450R all last year with only a head light and a Tail/Brake light.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:04 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Springbubba

I commute down the freeway and I would not want to ride behind a car for an hour with my headlight goin high/low. Took me an hour to go 8 miles today. In that kind of traffic the car in front of me can't let me go.

Thanks
Most HM mfgrs recommend connecting it to high beam, so simply switching to low beam turns it off during the day. A IR sensor turns off the HM when u use high at night.

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
Anyone know what the rate of flash when you switch to LED bulbs is without putting in a resistor?
Rate varies depending on the LED rating but it is too fast to be legal without slowing it down with either a LED mdulating flasher relay or a resistor.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 PM
SuperBike

I Run my lights on Bright all the time, have a Head light modulator and rear brake light modulator.

I don't give a crap if cars don't like the flashing light, that means they see me. Beside 50% of them think you are a police bike and get the heck out of the way.

Install one and reduce your chances of getting pulled out in front of by a car. You really notice a difference when the lights are modulating. Car drivers see you much earlier.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
Turn Signals are not required in TN, you can get away with the old Arm in the air as a signal.

Road My Street Legal SuperMoto CRF450R all last year with only a head light and a Tail/Brake light.
Every state is different and there are 50 of them.

Here in Ca., if you are riding a bike from the 1950s that came with one mirror and no turn signals, you are OK. If you have a modern bike and have removed one mirror and the turn signals, you are candidate for a ticket.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 PM
SuperBike

Thanks
Different brands work different as far as how to activate them. My SuperChicken's modulator has a toggle switch to turn it on and is wired only to the bright light circuit. It also has a photosensor to keep it from flashing at night or in low sun light. The modulators are governed by the feds. They are US legal in all states (Fed Law) and they must flash at a specific rate and must have a photo cell for night and low light. The do not alternate between Low and High Beam. They only flash the Low or High beam depending on how you hook it up or how the brand you buy works. The light actually does not go out, it actually lowers the light to where it is almost off and then powers it back up.

My GF SV650S has a different brand modulator that works off the bright light circuit and you turn it on and off by quickly dimming you bright light and then back to brights. Also has the required photo cell.

By one, best safety item you can own.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
SuperBike

R U sure? I thought in all 50 states for all mc built after 1976 if it came with TS, you had to run them.

Beside 50% of them think you are a police bike and get the heck out of the way.
Sumbudi said dat...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
SuperBike

[QUOTE=skokievtr;169806]R U sure? I thought in all 50 states for all mc built after 1976 if it came with TS, you had to run them.
QUOTE]

Positive!

Reccomended, but not required or enforced as long as you use the Arm for signaling. SuperMoto in my Avatar at the gap has no signals. I did 3000 miles on that bike in and around middle TN last year in major city area and in and around many enforcement areas.

Last edited by Thumper; 06-27-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 PM
SuperBike

Different brands work different as far as how to activate them. My SuperChicken's modulator has a toggle switch to turn it on and is wired only to the bright light circuit. It also has a photosensor to keep it from flashing at night or in low sun light. The modulators are governed by the feds. They are US legal in all states (Fed Law) and they must flash at a specific rate and must have a photo cell for night and low light. The do not alternate between Low and High Beam. They only flash the Low or High beam depending on how you hook it up or how the brand you buy works. The light actually does not go out, it actually lowers the light to where it is almost off and then powers it back up.

My GF SV650S has a different brand modulator that works off the bright light circuit and you turn it on and off by quickly dimming you bright light and then back to brights. Also has the required photo cell.

By one, best safety item you can own.
I've run a HM for probably 15 years or more, even before they were 50 state legal. However, I've been stopped because the county mounty did not know what it was and thought by buld had a loose wire. Had to explain what it was. Now I carry along with my insurance card a copy of the HM legality statute.

But while a HM is a great safety enhancer, I'll go with a helmet being the #1 safety device.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Superstock

Wow. I went from not even thinking about a modulator to getting sold on one, in the span of this thread. I love all this info that will help keep me alive! My wife thanks you too.

Can you shoot me the name of the modulator you like?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by skokievtr

But while a HM is a great safety enhancer, I'll go with a helmet being the #1 safety device.

True, i guess living in a state all my life that requires a helmet, i just automatically include that like i do my full leathers.

Funny i have had people pull up beside me at a light an yell over to me "hey did you know your head light bulb is loose" I just laugh in my helmet and ignore them.

It is amazing how many cars get out of your way quicker.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 PM
SuperBike

[QUOTE=Thumper;169808]
R U sure? I thought in all 50 states for all mc built after 1976 if it came with TS, you had to run them.
QUOTE]

Positive!

Reccomended, but not required or enforced as long as you use the Arm for signaling. SuperMoto in my Avatar at the gap has no signals. I did 3000 miles on that bike in and around middle TN last year in major city area and in and around many enforcement areas.
I know that says something about TN but I'm not going there.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM
SuperBike

Wow. I went from not even thinking about a modulator to getting sold on one, in the span of this thread. I love all this info that will help keep me alive! My wife thanks you too.

I like both of these brands, some require wiring in and some do not. The
Super chicken is easier, becasue it has a single head light where as the SV has two independent headlight and i picked the wire-in model by Signal Dynamics so i could use one modulator and wire it into both high beams. I have not tried the non-wire brands listed below and you need to make sure it will clear the fairing mount area behind the head light. I mounted my Signal Dynamics device on the frame just below the tank and drilled a small hole in the Horn braket and aimed the Photo cell down toward the fender.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc...dStar/dshm.asp

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

Last edited by Thumper; 06-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
SuperBike

FYI: the Headlight modulators do not always play well with the after Market HID light bulbs.

I have had several of the Blue high power bulbs pop when using those type bulbs.

They are fine with the stock bulb.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Superstock

Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 PM
SuperBike

Thanks again.
Yep, Let us know how you feel after you get it installed and notice the car awareness change.

Be prepared for cars going the same direction as you to suddenly change lanes or pull off to the side of the road.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Superstock

Be prepared for cars going the same direction as you to suddenly change lanes or pull off to the side of the road.
Prepared? I am giddy!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM
SuperBike

The Kisan P115W http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2 is the easiest to install but prone to overheating & failure but they may have fixed that.

The Diamond Star http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.as...showprevnext=1 is the cheapest but hardest to install.

Don't know about the Comagination http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.as...showprevnext=1 but it seams similar to the DS and now more expensive.

The Kriss http://www.kriss.com/sonoranmod-s.php is almost as cheap but can't handle more than 65 watt bulbs but my final recommadation would be their http://www.kriss.com/slimjimmod.php but its the most expensive but their http://www.kriss.com/h4mod.php will also fit and is $20 less.

I don't know the above mfgr's warranties but that could be a big consideration, along with your electro-mechanical skills.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Superstock

The Diamond Star http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.as...showprevnext=1 is the cheapest but hardest to install.

I don't know the above mfgr's warranties but that could be a big consideration, along with your electro-mechanical skills.
I like this one. Ill report back on my parting cages like the Red Sea!

Who can resist adding stuff to your bike? Not I.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:54 AM
OUTLAW
Squid

BensonTweed is on a distinguished road
The fuzz in California have a hard on for bikers. I have been pulled over for the lamest reasons on my SH and my brother's Harley. I fight every ticket and the only ones I haven't had dismissed are my speeding tickets. My advice is KNOW THE LAW. A lot of officers are ignorant to motorcycle laws and they are just trying to write tickets and get revenue for the state. And always fight every ticket! They rarely show up for court. Most of the bike cops are pretty cool and they know what its like to be on two wheels so you can kinda jive with them. In California they are switching back to HONDA's. Right now there are some old Kawasaki's, Harley's for the Old Timers, and a fleet of BMW's. The Kawasaki's are fairly quick but dated and being cycled out pretty fast. The Harley's are dawgs and slow like Harleys are. The BMW is governed at 111mph so they can't catch you anyway. So ride on fellow 'Hawkers!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Great thread! PA cops seem to have the attitude that fool biker problems have a way of eliminating themselves. Plus we have a decent sized bike gang presence here in the S.E. part of the state. They are either cops or scary to cops. I know lots of riders who don't even get inspections. Typical excuse when pulled over is..."Oh f%#k, somebody stole my sticker plate again!" I know guys that leave a bolt hole empty just to work this story!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches.
Guess I'll have to lower my signals to conform.

Quick Reply: Know Wutz Illegal