Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

i need a new projector.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i need a new projector.

long story short, my original projector broke during shipping, the replacement turned out to be a halogen at no fault to anyone as we didnt know what it was either. needless to say the thing spits light and i cant see crap. i came inches away from dumping the bike twice into a gravel shoulder and ditch tonite because i couldnt see the turns were decreasing radius and i came in too hot both times on a road ive been on a million times. clearly my fault for over riding my headlight. so im gonna tear it apart again and i wanna stick in an hid projector with ballast and light right from a car. something i can mount into place, connect the power and ground and be on my way with. what should i be looking for when buying a setup? i dont wanna run a kit bulb anymore as theyre crap, as i said i wanna basically take an entire setup from a car and stick it into my housing. i jsut need a shove in the right direction. its almost 130 here and im tired and wired from my night of riding so im gonna save the search button for tomorrow, i just needed to post this while it was still fresh in my mind
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
the ballsts and igniters from some of the kits aren't that bad ifyou mate them with a good bulb and projector. My cheap kit with a Land rover 3 (great wide pattern) projector and philips 85122+. The combo is pretty great.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 AM
SuperBike

good to hear thanks. i found that my current projector was open on all the way so we just used some tinfoil to seal it up and to make a reflector housing with. i think id like to try and find something thats already enclosed just to be on the same side of things. are you using a bi xenon projector?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Have a look here... I have done about half a dozen VTR headlights using the FX-R projectors... The fit in there nicely...

And if you ask nicely, the guy running that will give you a private eBay auction for a single projector, or one with all the stuff you need...
Old 07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
SuperBike

Excellent thanks alot twenty. Once againyou come through. I'm gonna have a look right now and maybe get something ordered tonite :-)
Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Squid

VTR steve is on a distinguished road
I used a merc bi xenon loads of them about and the car head lights have a bad habit of breaking the mounting points which is great if you want to rip it apart for a retrofit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Merced...item2eae4ab875

This would be perfect 99p start and no reserve.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM
SuperBike

nice thanks for the link, im gonna go throw a bid in, it comes with everything i need. see if it works out for me
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 AM
SuperBike

wont sell it to me cause im in the wrong country damn him. ill check ebay in my area for one
Old 07-18-2010, 07:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
wont sell it to me cause im in the wrong country damn him. ill check ebay in my area for one
That sucks... I used a freight forwarder to get my stuff to a US adress, so I'm not sure he was even aware I'm not US based...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Squid

I will try and win it if i do i will let you have it for what i pay plus post cant get any fairer than that
Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 AM
SuperBike

thats mighty good of you. just dont put your max bid at something crazy like 300 bucks. lol. thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
That sucks... I used a freight forwarder to get my stuff to a US adress, so I'm not sure he was even aware I'm not US based...
sorry thats for the ebay auction, i messaged your guy about the fxr projector and combo for ballast and light and havent heard back yet. but its the weekend where i am so im assuming its universally a weekend everywhere
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by uchi
thats mighty good of you. just dont put your max bid at something crazy like 300 bucks. lol. thanks
Haha no not doing that im winning at the mo at £35 uk not sure what that is canadian but not gonna go much higher. See what happens lol
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
SuperBike

bidding is done. did you end up winning it? it wont show me the winner when i look at it

from the looks of it its £16, which is around 25 bucks canadian. damn thats a high exchange rate. how much are you guys paying for fuel over there? i just had relatives down from germany and they said its like 1.5 euros per liter. and if i remember right its about 1.25 canadian dollars per euro and our gas now is 95 cents a liter.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:55 PM
MotoGP

95 cents per Liter?! It's not fair... 1.9 CAD / Liter is the lowest I have seen the last month... Usually it's between 1.8-2 Canadian per liter... Sometimes a bit higher, very, ver rarely below... Since I started driving anything regularily at 18 years of age it has not been below 1.5 CAD / Liter... Never...
Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM
SuperBike

wow, yeah well i guess almost a dollar a liter isnt bad. if it makes you feel better when i got my license in 1996 gas was 40 cents a liter. a few years back when i still had my car gas his 130 a liter for regular, high test was 146ish and i was getting about 8 mpg. lol. i guess we cant really complain though if you guys are paying double what we are. but im willing to bet you guys have some cars out there that probably run all day on a drop of gas
Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 PM
MotoGP

Well... For same size cars the difference is pretty negligable... But yeah, the percentage of smaller more fuel efficient cars are a bit higher...
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
SuperBike

i guess you get used to it too. a friend of the families was working in dubai and said gas is something like 14 cents a liter. but itll cost you 30 000 to rent a condo for the year so it all somehow balances out
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

How to wire a relay for a bi-xenon HID projector...

The diode (1n400*) means that the highbeam triggers the relay just the same as the lowbeam, not cutting out when switching between them and restarting the ballast...

If you haven't got a H4 male plug, using spade connectors works just as good, just make sure to place them in the right order...

Oh, and for you Americans who cant turn of the headlight, a kill-switch after the diode on the lowbeam/triggerwire will let you kill the light so you can crank the bike with full power, without the ballast resetting every time you hit the starter... Unless you swap in a Euro switch gear instead...
Attached Thumbnails i need a new projector.-wiring.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
SuperBike

Perfect. you're a good man. beers on me when you come to Niagara falls for a visit :-)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
SuperBike

Real quick. what would happen if I didnt use a resistor?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
SuperBike

good news, ive been talking to the guy you recommend for me, trs, and he said that the harness he provides is a plug and play for my oem harness, controls the high beam flap through it aswell so hopefully this is going to be painless. now ill just need to wire in my relay to it and ill be all set.

thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
MotoGP

Oh... I forgot he sells those harnesses as well... Well with that harness you should get the relay already... No need to wire in another... Just stick the one you get in there, possibly snip of the part for the second headlight if you get a car version... Dunno if he has bike versions?

BTW with that setup, never mind a killswitch on the harness... Just leave it be...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-20-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

So why don't I need a kill switch with his setup? Add from what I see he sells single light harnesses. ill let you know when it arrives for sure. I can't wait to get the new setup in but I don't look forward to ripping the old one apart.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
MotoGP

Well... It's not that you don't need it... It's just that you can't add it as easily... But yeah, you can add it... The same as on my schematic, figure out which wire is the trigger wire for that relay and splice it in there...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
SuperBike

oh ok i thought his harness somehow delayed it or something. ill just splice the low beam trigger wire with a toggle switch. thanks again for all the help man.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM
SuperBike

according to the tracking number my fxr projector with morimoto d2s 5000k bulb slim morimoto ballast and harness should be in tomorrow. which means on monday i tear into the headlight
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 AM
SuperBike

It arrived yesterday as Matt fromthe retrofit source said it would. Annd ita real pretty. Almost ashame to have to stick it into a Headlight lol. I think the old stuff is gonna go into my spotlight. Yup that's right hid spotlight :-)