Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Squid

Black Hawk is on a distinguished road
I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?

The low mount pipes I believe are too big, even with clamp tighten all the way down the pipe still can move. There is a gap in the clamp area if you look closely (enlarge the pic). Is this normal for slip ons? Or Two Bros low mount pipes defective? As you can see I changed the position of the clamps twice and it did not help. Open for comments or suggestions.:confuse d:
Attached Thumbnails I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON  ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?-img_3891.jpg   I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON  ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?-img_3892.jpg   I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON  ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?-img_3894.jpg   I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON  ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?-img_3895.jpg   I NEED HELP (TWO BROS EXHAUSTS SLIP ON  ARE THESE PICTURES NORMAL)?-img_3896.jpg  

Last edited by Black Hawk; 09-26-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe you are missing the exhaust gaskets. It would be best to buy new parts from the dealer...Hawkrider can produce the correct part number for the BEST fitting gaskets. OR you can remove the gaskets from the old mufflers (carefully) and then reuse them on the new pipes. If you go with the recycle method, the fit will not be as good and you will most likely have small leaks.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
the oe gaskets are also slightly small od, someone just posted the ones that fit. i used the oe gaskets with some copper-filled rtv silicone and all is well. if i remember even they were a bitch to install.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Squid

What store to buy the OE gaskets? Is this an easy fix? Is there a web site to purchase one?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:14 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Black Hawk
What store to buy the OE gaskets? Is this an easy fix? Is there a web site to purchase one?
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....e.ronayers.com u need 2 (l/r)
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
What he said... Good experience with ron ayers. Cheaper than the dealer on oem parts, especially the more expensive stuff. Also fast shipping. Some slip ons don't use them and others do.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Squid

So what would be a good fix for the problem? I could not find the oem part on the web site. Open for more suggestions........
Old 09-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
did you click the link Skokie posted? It takes you right to the Honda part number...
Old 09-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Squid

I went to the Honda Motorcycle Dealer today and the mechanic said that the OE gasket would not work b/c it only comes up to the ring on the pipe. Look at the pictures and you will see the ring/bump on the pipe. The slip on pipes are bigger than the original standard. Is this normal to have a gap even with the clamp tighten all the way down. Open for more suggestions.

Last edited by Black Hawk; 09-27-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
I had to use some header wrap to get rid of the gap there. It worked well and is still on.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
If its any help, I just measured my new OEM gaskets. They are 1.903" OD. Plus or minus a few thou ".
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Squid

I am not the mechanic but is the header wrap a type of tape that is heat resistant? Could I buy it at Meijer or Auto Zone.
At the Honda Motocycle Dealer the OEM gasket only fits up to the ring on the pipe but the slip on pipes goes over the ring (see pictures above). Open for more suggestions.....................any one.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:44 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Black Hawk
I am not the mechanic but is the header wrap a type of tape that is heat resistant? Could I buy it at Meijer or Auto Zone.
yes
Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Somebody gave you the wrong clamps. Go to a hardware store and buy slightly smaller ones. Don't know why, but my V & H pipes came with the wrong ones too.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Squid

So you believe that the clamps are the problem. I will get different clamp but these are the clamps from Two Bros. What if the diameter of the pipes are too big or is this common with all slip ons. Look at the pictures the teeth on the pipe is not closing/getting closer when the clamp is tightening.
I also bought some header wrap tape from Auto Zone not cheap (wow). So I will buy some new clamps first before I try the tape...................open for any more ideas/comments............Thxs...for...all...comments... .............
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The Honda exhaust spacers are missing. This can be especially problematic because the lower one is within centimeters of your rear tire. These are cheap and gotta be there. There just like the old fashion exhaust donuts between the manifold and the header. These are a little different shape but they do the same thing.

Last edited by nuhawk; 09-28-2008 at 10:46 PM.