Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

High Mount Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
High Mount Exhaust

I am a new owner of a 2002 SuperHawk. Actually, I haven't even ridden it yet. I'm at school outside Philly and the bike's home in Vermont. I test road a SuperHawk last summer and have been waiting to find one in my price range. I just purchased the bike a week and a half ago and can't wait to get home for easter to take it out for the first time.

So on to my question...
I love the look of the high mount slip-ons, however, after dropping the money on the bike my funds are extreamly limited (typical poor college student). So I'm wondering if it's possible to buy the midsection pipes and brackets that would enable me to mount the exhaust higher. Has anyone done/seen this, or know if it can be done? Also, if it's possible, would I be able to keep the passenger pegs?
What fun is a bike if you can't pick up girls with it? :wink:
Old 04-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
basicly can you weld? because the mid pipe is built in to the stock cans....so you would have to cun and then weld a correct diameter sleve on to the stock pipes then buy an afte rmarket mid...but if you went to all that trouble why buy one...just go to a muffler shop and have one bent

do it budget buy cans and make you own mids..wala...your own brackets too
Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
Re: High Mount Exhaust

I'm an undergrad Mechanical Engineer, so I have a decent metal shop at my disposal. Guess it's time to make friends with the Shop Tech's.
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Nova,

If I understand you right, you want to keep the stock mufflers but move them up to a high mount position?

I've never heard of anyone doing that but one issue I see is that the stock cans are very large and HOT. Most, if not all, aftermarket cans are smaller and even those have clearance issues with either the bodywork or the passenger pegs.

See my avatar? Those are rc51 pipes that are a mix of high/low design BUT you can't run the pass. pegs (in the stock location anyway). They took a bit of modding to fit and aren't perfect.

My advice: do a bafflectomy you'll luv the sound (do a search on how to) while you save your pennies for a true system. superhawk22 has some d&d highmount midpipes for sale in the classifieds and you can get the cans later.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08

thanks bling, i'll check those out.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:59 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Doug, I do have some high mount pipes for sale, Jardine's actually. Pm or email me for some pics and make me an offer I can't refuse. :wink: You can always pick up some cheap cans on ebay. This is how they looked on my bike.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is how they looked before I raised them up higher.