Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Graphic Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Squid

datta13 is on a distinguished road
Graphic Wrap

my '98 has been thrashed to death at the track and the fairings are held together by rivets and sheet metal (printing plates to be exact).

I found a local guy who has a chicken that he is parting out and will sell me the entire set of fairings for a pretty good price, they aren't in the best of shape but about a zillion times better shape than the ones i'm using now. they even still have most of the tabs on them and everything!

in any case, i want to wrap the entire bike with a vehicle wrap instead of painting it. Has anyone here done this and got any pics, tips and tricks? Are there templates out there to build the graphics to?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by datta13
my '98 has been thrashed to death at the track and the fairings are held together by rivets and sheet metal (printing plates to be exact).

I found a local guy who has a chicken that he is parting out and will sell me the entire set of fairings for a pretty good price, they aren't in the best of shape but about a zillion times better shape than the ones i'm using now. they even still have most of the tabs on them and everything!

in any case, i want to wrap the entire bike with a vehicle wrap instead of painting it. Has anyone here done this and got any pics, tips and tricks? Are there templates out there to build the graphics to?
sounds like a lot of work. I have seen entire sets of plastic for the Superhawks on ebay (from China) for around $300 if I remember correctly. That might be worth a look. I don't know if the quality is good or not.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:24 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I always thought that would be a neat thing to do. I'd suggest finding a place that has done motorcycles before. They are much more curved than cars/trucks so it might be more of a challenge.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Squid

mrmhrm9598 is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of links to bike wraps. Motorcycle Wraps - Motorcycle Wraps - Motorcycle Decals|Motorcycle Wraps|Motorcycle Graphics - BikeVinyl.com Motorcycle Graphics Wraps, Vinyl Motorcycle Graphic Decals, SkinzWraps™, Dallas, Miami, Los Angeles, NY, NC
Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
my brother-in-law owns his own business and wraps all the TRG porches in the rolex grand am series, a couple of the sprint cup teams have him do the vinyl wraps when they come to town as well, and the grand martial vehicles at the daytona speedway, i asked him this same question to see if he would do it for me, said it would be about 3-400 because of all the compound curves on it. and thats with the family discount
Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Squid

datta13 is on a distinguished road
thanks all! i can purchase the raw material and print and cut after hours at work which is sweet, but i cant find any templates for this bike and i am thinking that they don't really exist but from talking to some of my counterparts that wrap cars and stuff, they are telling me to take photos of the parts with a ruler and then blow them up to full size in photoshop and then make a template from there. So I figured that I would pass that little tidbit along. i think that i am going to buy the material and burn some as a practice wrap before printing and wrapping so i can see how it goes. Im going to document the entire process from beginning to end and then upload to the forum for all to see

Yes, ive seen the cheap china ones and those are very cool looking, but figure $250 - $300 for the fairings and the an additional $225 for shipping....
Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive seen wrapped bikes they look good. the vinyl is really thin though so any imperfections in the body will be shown in the vinyl. and with the curves youll need to use heat to shrink and expand the vinyl