Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Getting off stickers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Squid

lotp is on a distinguished road
Getting off stickers

Bought a nice firestorm in december for a very good price -

already had ohlins rear shock, ohlins fork springs, carbon fibre hugger, highlevel remus grand prix pipes, digi gear indicator, full fairing lower......... and loads of horrid stickers.

Just in the got round to spending some cash on her to finish her off...... well for the next little while anyway........ and want to take off the stinking graphics - whats the best way?

Any must have products to help in the process?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Heat up the sticker using a hair dryer, then peel it off. A razor blade may help, but be careful not to scratch the finish. Using Goo Gone will help remove any residual residue.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Squid

lotp is on a distinguished road
Will try the hair dryer and the goo gone but think I will steer clear of the razor, will either ruin the pain or cut off a finger........ actually knowing me both

Cheers mate
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM
B R
Back Marker

B R is on a distinguished road
WD40 is good for getting off sticky residue without hurting paint.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
The easiest way I have found for removing any kind of adhesive or sticker from paint is a pinstripe removal wheel. It looks like a round gum eraser that you attach to a cordless drill. I picked one up from my local auto paint supply store for $15. I removed all the stickers and adhesive from my superhawk in about 10 minutes.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Stickers are a real PITA.... I had to take the god awful "pink" stickers off my old katana when insurance paid for new fairings after the theft recovery...

I found that some of the "citrus based" removers help, as well as Goo Gone.... but they only work on the "adhesive" portion which is under the vinyls sticker portion (so putting the stuff on top of the sticker is a waste).... I was able to treat the edge of the sticker, then start to peel a 1/4" or so, then pour/squirt a little more remover under the area I was peeling, peel a 1/4" or so... and was able to lift the vinyl sticker up... it's slow as can be as you have to wait for the remover to loosen the adhesive and can only peel a tiny bit before putting more remover on, but it's the only way I found to take them off...

Good Luck...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Heat up the sticker using a hair dryer, then peel it off. A razor blade may help, but be careful not to scratch the finish. Using Goo Gone will help remove any residual residue.

A hair dryer is the best method, but swap out that razor blade for a plastic putty knife. WD-40 seems to work better than Goo-Gone for clean up.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
+1 hair dryer works wonders and when I took the ones off the sv that eraser wheel on the leftovers is by far the fastest most painless method.good luck! now wheres the pics
Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
Hair dryer, credit card or license, and ronsonal zippo lighter fluid worked wonders for me
Old 02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Go find a guy who makes vinyl signs. The guy who made up the vinyl logos for our heavy equipment gave me a spray bottle of some industrial adhesive remover. Spray it on, let it sit 30 seconds and push the sticker off with a plastic scraper. The sticker, the adhesive, everything just turns to goo and it doesn't harm the paint. I'll try to remember to get the name of it at the shop tomorrow.