Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Fender eliminator/trimming

Old 06-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Squid

uberhawk
Fender eliminator/trimming

The stock Honda fender has plenty of plastic to work magic on. Now that it's summer, just remove it from the bike (or not) and leave it in the hot sun for an hour or so. Once it's nice and warm, use a new blade in a box cutter or an exacto. Use a metal guide (I used a 12" Crescent to get a nice compound curve) and slowly score the plastic on the first run. Then just go over it a few more times, it will go through all the way with 5 or 6 runs.

I did mine so that I could salvage the stock license plate assembly and light, moved up about six inches or so.

If you mess it up real bad, then buy a fender eliminator

Daryl
Old 07-15-2004, 04:43 AM
Back Marker

Shmittay
Re: Fender eliminator/trimming

Werd, thats the exact same method I used a month after I bought my hawk. Cheapest and easiest way to do it. I found also that if you arent too steady with the knife, you can use a rubber trim used to cover trim on the fender edge.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

I modified mine by using a ruler as a straight edge and used a dremel with a cutting wheel on it.

Took me a whole 2 min. to do it! 8)
Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
I have been contemplating whether I should just do this or not.

Do you have any other shots of the bike and how it looks from the back, farther away, etc.?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:09 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

hey, NZred, your post is useless without a picture!!

by the way, gorgeous city you got there! Auckland! I was there on a business trip a couple of years ago, beautiful country! gorgeous roads!

some of the models of the motorcycles there were different than the ones here in US. you should post some pics of those bikes too.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Squid

tjayswift

I did the exact same thing, with a dremel. Quick and painless. I'm thinking next I'm gonna buy the license plate frame with LED turn signals down the sides.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

I simply used a pair of Sheet Metal Sheers to trim mine after using a ruler and pencil to make a cut line.

No fuss, no sanding, clean edge cut...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:59 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

I just did mine this past weekend. Both in this case and a previous bike's case, I used the good old box cutter after drawing the lines using a pencil.

It works great, no rough edges, very controlled cut.

I now want to shorten the length of the stock turnsignals in the back. I know it can be done, just never done it myself.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

In addition to trimming the monstrosity of a rear mud guard, if you are ambituous and confident in your Dremel tool abilites, you can cut out the bottom of the tail-light lens and thus make things a bit cleaner-looking by remaining (quazi) DOT-legal while still removing the OEM license plate lamp.

To modify the tail-light lens so it also provides lighting for the license tag, after removing the tail-light from the VTR and cutting out the bottom of the tail-light lens, you can either custom-fit and glue-in a thin piece of plexi-glass (GE Lexan), or you can simply, trim, insert, and glue-in a thin piece of plastic, such as that used in the clear plastic sleeves of software packaging.

SuperChicken II had the latter of the two above lens modifications, and I never had trouble with the thin plastic either fogging/clouding or letting enough road spray by to wipe out tail-lights via the water-drop-on-a-light-bulb effect.

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Squid

spacemonkey

i used some of my kids chalk they had outside untill i got it how i wanted to look and attacked it with a dremmel