Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Extended swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
how much you want to do it? i would have to get a spare to chop up.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
well someone tossed out 400. the question is what are you willing to pay is what it really comes down to.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Squid

shane4585 is on a distinguished road
i love how everyone bashes on extended swingarms, the few SH's i have seen with it done look incredible! and im sure they launch like crazy. do it man.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Kid, there is a reason why it is not done. Do your research and you will find out why. Actually, just follow all of 3amta3 posts asking about his "streatched" swing arm and you will find your answers.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Squid

BigSquirmy is on a distinguished road
if you still need a swing arm i have an extended one that came on mine when i bought it
Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
id imagine youd need to brake the stock swing arm if you stretched it, its kinda flimsy already as it is and making it longer would only add to that. that being said the hawk really doesnt make enough power to need a longer swing arm. why not mod a stretched aftermarket to fit? i think tweety is running a cbr or rc51 swingarm, i cant remember which. might be easier to get one for those
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
I don;t understand all the animosity against extended swingarms. I have nicknamed my hawk the "wheelie monster" While yes being a somewhat slow and underpowered machine compared to many others bikes it's a 1000cc vtwin wheelie producing torque machine.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
I don;t understand all the animosity against extended swingarms. I have nicknamed my hawk the "wheelie monster" While yes being a somewhat slow and underpowered machine compared to many others bikes it's a 1000cc vtwin wheelie producing torque machine.
Because it takes away the one thing the hawk has going for it.. Easy handling.

It's like finding a girl with a perfect face, but otherwise average, and then hitting her in the face with a baseball bat. Rather than getting her to a gym.

Last edited by lazn; 10-06-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Easy handling? How?

it's got archaic **** *** suspension and is narrow waisted poor brake equipped lackluster machine....

Yes that all can be changed and it does have an amazing sound to it.

I'm just saying a new 1000 sportbike will out handle, out perform, and out brake the SH ALL day.

Yeah it has no soul, and it's less comfortable, and it costs more and more ins but i'm just saying. the new bikes don;t have what I would call . "difficult" handling.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
MotoGP

Easy handling? How?

it's got archaic **** *** suspension and is narrow waisted poor brake equipped lackluster machine....

Yes that all can be changed and it does have an amazing sound to it.

I'm just saying a new 1000 sportbike will out handle, out perform, and out brake the SH ALL day.

Yeah it has no soul, and it's less comfortable, and it costs more and more ins but i'm just saying. the new bikes don;t have what I would call . "difficult" handling.
The narrow waist is an asset in this case.. And yes a newer bike is capable of lots (and lots) more, but also takes more effort to ride fast though a tricky set of curves.

It's like how the STi was faster than the EVO X in the hands of a pro when it first came out, but most drivers were able to go faster in the EVO.

Edit: see: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...d-bikes-22754/ comment about twisty back roads in the original article.

edit2: Sure a new bike is 1000 times quicker in the hands of a pro, but on the street the superhawk is fun and easy to ride at any sane *extralegal street speed.

Last edited by lazn; 10-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:24 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Plus it was sold as and is considered a sport-touring bike. Saying a 1000rr will outbreak it is like saying a Desert Eagle will do more damage than a potato gun... of course it will, but that doesn't make launching spuds less fun!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:04 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know there is a member on here from another country I believe who only does drag racing on his hawk. Due to lack of short term memory loss I can't tell you where I saw his post or his username but I bet he would be the one to ask. If I can find it I will post it up and mybe you can PM him.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM
MotoGP

But really it's easy enough to do if you want to do it. Just take it to a local welder that does aluminum and if you really want it to look good, bring a 2nd swing arm to use for source material.

Chop, chop, buzz, buzz and you got a longer swing arm.

see: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ragbike-19770/
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Just because something is better at one thing than another doesn't mean someone should lose their ability to turn it into whatever they want it to be.

Honda's engineers I'm sure are angry and saddened when anyone modifies any of their machines for any reason!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
MotoGP

Honda's engineers I'm sure are angry and saddened when anyone modifies any of their machines for any reason!
Yep. They're probably mad at and saddened by Honda Marketing for forcing them to make a bike out of inferior parts or for a crappy demographic all the time
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Squid

LVMYHEMI is on a distinguished road
I know of one extended SuperHawk. He works not far from me. I'll see if he will provide the information you need.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
As wheelie prone as the hawk is, I'm supprised extended swingarms aren't more common. You could build a pretty good quarter mile bike. Its funny that when someone on the gixxer forum wants to stick an extended arm on a gsxr 1k( a purpose built track bike) no one complains. But when someone wants to put an extended arm on a superhawk( a sport tourer) everyone gets mad about the handling being sacrifised.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I for one am against you stretching the hawk. It just aint right.

Can you maybe think of some other lamo squidly thing to do?

Thanks.

Oh yeah the only way to have a longer swingarm and still be ultra cool is to do the VFR SSS swingarm
Attached Thumbnails Extended swingarm-sssvtr-009.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pwshadow
As wheelie prone as the hawk is, I'm supprised extended swingarms aren't more common. You could build a pretty good quarter mile bike. Its funny that when someone on the gixxer forum wants to stick an extended arm on a gsxr 1k( a purpose built track bike) no one complains. But when someone wants to put an extended arm on a superhawk( a sport tourer) everyone gets mad about the handling being sacrifised.
Simple: GSXRs are more common than dirt. Sure put a wing on your honda, a body kit on your cobalt, and a extended swing arm on your GSXR.. But put a body kit on a Fiat Dino and you kinda have the wrong car for the scene.. (not that a VTR is as rare as a Fiat Dino, but you get the gist)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Squid

muppet is on a distinguished road
stretch it lower it

i have gone +6" on my swing arm, it makes for good hard launches. added a 98 fireblade brace.
Attached Thumbnails Extended swingarm-320037_274367852595429_100000666495953_901749_572145173_n.jpg  

Last edited by muppet; 10-21-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Squid

off the line, no wheelies no drama and a nitrous gsx1260 with wheelie bars left behind
Attached Thumbnails Extended swingarm-super-forum.jpg  

Last edited by muppet; 10-21-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
MUPPET bike looks awesome.
adding 6inch doesn’t really change the look of the bike that much but i am sure the handling is allot better in a line. i figure this much, if all you want to do are turns on a bike a Hawk is not the way to go. yes i can do it and do it well but that was not the reason for this bike. get yourself a GSXR or YZ or something that was made for that reason and that reason ONLY. dont knock those of us that want to make the bike our own and have it work for our application.
as i can tell most of you on here are track people, which is perfectly fine. no one is going ot tell you what to do to your Hawk to make it work better for you so dont tell us what makes the bike good for us.
its not like people know what the hell we ride anyways so who’s going to know the difference.
I think it is dumb to gear a bike for nothing but hauling *** but for those of you that do that, I am not going to judge you for it that is your prerogative.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 3amta3
as i can tell most of you on here are track people, which is perfectly fine.
Nah, just the ones who are most verbal about someone wanting to turn their loved hawk into a bro bike.

Drag bikes are a different story, not knocking those.

IMO good handling is very high on the list of qualities of a sport touring bike (top speed, not so much).
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

i love this thread. you buy a bike because its built for a reason from factory. the hawk is a sport touring bike. it doesnt have the power to be a good drag bike. its got a flimsy frame and stretching that stock swing arm will only make it worse. muppets bike looks like he either put a brace on or used a swingarm from a different bike. my guess would be he braced the stock unit. im against stretching any bike. i think it looks stupid on a street bike. build a dedicated race bike and yeah thats fine but a street bike its useless. the hawk does wheelies yeah but ride something newer with the same displacement and see how eager they are to lift for you. my gixxer 1k will gladly loft me on power alone in the lower gears and itll stand up with a quick clutch blip at double the hiway speeds.

muppet what does your bike run in the quarter?

heres an example of a bike that needs a stretch, my buddies track bike gixxer makes over 200 hp to the back wheel. hes geared it up so it drags the gears out longer to try and keep it down. when i rode that bike i was sitting at about 220 pounds, add my leather and gear about 230. that thing constantly tried to lift me if i wasnt careful with it, but throttle control kept the front end down. hell at 160 indicated mph the bike was lofting the front end at anything over 3/4 throttle and past 11000 rpm it just stood up no matter what. and thats indicated, the bikes been gear 1 up in the front so it was going faster. that bike could benefit from a stretch but he tracks it and throttle control keeps it down. but man what a ride.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 AM
SuperBike

you should make it look like this
HAYABUSA 1500 BURN OUT FULL TROTTLE BY WWW.ALLTHINGSCHROME.NET - YouTube
Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

All I will say is it's their bike and let em do as they wish. To me taking any machine to one extreme or another while streeting it is pretty dumb. But A LOT of people LOVE the look of a stretched bike. If they wanna meld that love with the superhawk platform let em. And as every one of these poor chaps has said they can swap it back to stock within an hour or two of labor.

My only questions is are these stretched guys running extended shocks or using a downward arching (to lift the bike up a bit) style swingarm?

I'd go with another bikes purpose made extented swinger just too gain the built in rigidity.

Good luck and to each their own.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Squid

We have a class for fourstroke twins in the u.k thats why i chose the vtr1000f with my very tight budget it is also the cheapest of the big jap twins. at the momment it runs a standard motor i run 11.03 seconds in the 1/4 mile real times not from a magazine teat day ! we have other vtr's with stage 1 & 2 tuned engines that run low 12's so for me to get a second + faster with a cost of $150 for swingarm extention work im well happy and when i can afford some engine work it will be all the more worthwhile . if you want corners have corners , if you want straights have straight, if you tour well tour , enjoy what you enjoy surely its why we live
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yes but muppet I am all for purpose building a hawk. I race in production twins classes on a road course.
BUT........
To extend a swingarm for the sole purpose of impressing your repressed semi-homoerotic fake poser friends is a completely different matter.

Like comparing a real NYPD to the village people........
Old 10-21-2011, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by muppet
i have gone +6" on my swing arm, it makes for good hard launches. added a 98 fireblade brace.
If you are actually drag racing the bike, it makes sense & I get that and support it. But 99% of the extended swingarms out there are put there for one of 2 reasons.

1: looks and that is always a personal opinion thing. In my opinion it looks dumb, others may think differently, and are welcome to their own opinion.

2: newb rider is terrified of pulling a wheelie on the street because they don't have enough control of the bike to ride it yet & shouldn't be riding that bike. (they should be on a 125 or 250cc bike or moped). The fix for this is learning to ride, and not making the bike less controllable in the corners.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Squid

100 % with the comments, i think we are lucky to have the Streetfighter scene going strong in the uk, still very modded bikes but without the Bling Bling wide and long as you can look.

Quick Reply: Extended swingarm