Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

commenced makover

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:32 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
commenced makover

oookkkaaayyy.
so I finally got a chance to get my bike out of storage today. last weekend I had everything ready to go, all the new parts, battery charged, but before I left for the storage unit, I got a little ahead of myself, and drove off with my freshly charged battery sitting on my rear bumper. I'm an *** I know. funny thing was its stayed on the bumber for about 4 miles through 4 intersections rough pavement, and up hills. but it did eventually fall off, and was destroyed. so this weekend armed with a new battery, and a cautious attitude, I tried again. got to the storage unit, and changed the oil and filter. and I gotta say, compared to my last bike, the procedure is a piece of cake. anyway, the bike fired right up like I had just left it there the other day. more good signs. rode it home, and started in on my 3rd attempt at remounting my hindle high-mounts properly and leak free. after about 5 hours, 1 trip to the autoparts store and a nasty cut on my hand, I got it together. and IT NO LONGER LEAKS!!! I had to mod it a bit, but I gotta say, the way I fitted the right side, you could shoot it with a cannon, and it ain't coming apart. it isn't too pretty but but it could withstand a nuclear blast. after that, it was almost dark but I wanted to get the integrated tail light on before tomorrow, so I hustled and managed to get that done too. it looks great, and is way more visible than my previous signals. (the highmounts were obstructing the view) I was stoked! you have to understand, bike repair for me usually means some give and take. I fix one thing and get 2 new problems. but not this time. I took it out for a test ride, and listened for the chain tinking on the pipe, and didn't hear a thing, so I guess I got it right this time. those hindle must have been messed up before I got them. what a bitch they have been. anyway, I've still got more stuff to do but its all downhill from here. still gotta put a new bulb in the gauge cluster, slap on my new bar ends, apply carbon fiber (looking) tape to "rub-prone" parts of the fairing, and victoriously mount the new corbin seat, and I'll be all done...for a while. I'll post before and after pics just as soon as a get a nice day to finish it all up. it looks like its gonna rain all day tomorrow tho, dammit. might have to wait for mid-week. sorry for the book but this was an awsome day.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
SuperSport

Re: commenced makover

got home early from work today, and decided to do some more work. I took the fairing off, and replaced a blown bulb in my guage cluster. then I put on a new flush mount signal outer cover. my old one was scuffed and cracked. then I put on my new bar ends, and finally added my new corbin seat. only thing left is the carbon fiber tape for rub-prone bits. then I'll post pics. I took a ride to see what the seat felt like, and I gotta say, it felt kinda wierd. it spread my legs farther apart at a stop, but seems to prop me more upright while riding. I haven't made a verdict on it yet, but I can say that going into fast turns feels much more comfortable. as I move my butt over in the turn, the seat seems to support my legs and butt more securely through the turn. whereas, the stock seat made me feel like my *** was kind of hanging out in space. ( sorry if too much info). I'm riding to work tomorrow, so maybe I'll have a more specific opinion by tomorrow night.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish";p=&quot
you have to understand, bike repair for me usually means some give and take. I fix one thing and get 2 new problems.
You and me both. Good to hear things are progressing well.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the battery thing is right up there with getting to your bike and
realizing you left the key at home by the phone when you answered it on your way out the door.

When my kids ask about the various scars across my fingers and knuckles I tell them they are the result of my mechanical education. Just keep the cuts clean...dirty grease and oil don't mix well in the blood stream. Then again... a well greased circulatory system might be less prone to plaque build up.

Enjoy your "new" bike.
Don't forget the pix
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 PM
SuperSport

now you tell me! jeez I was wondering why I've been feeling woozy since last weekend. jk. I did give myself some good cuts tho fiddling with the exhaust. one would have been stitch-worthy if it had been more of a cut and less of a puncture. got the wife to toss me some bandaids, and wrapped it up with electical tape till I was done, no biggy. got blood on my new icon jeans. but hey, that's what I got them for. anyway, my hands are all cut up from more than bike repaire anyway. chicks dig scars.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Having 2 big barrels hanging from your frame is also a crowd pleaser.
:wink:
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 PM
SuperSport

ok, I'll post a before and after pic to give a contrast to a the things I've done so far.
this was taken at the beginning of last season shortly after I got the bike road worthy again from the crash at the end of the prior season.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:39 PM
SuperSport

what the hell??? let me try again
Old 04-22-2006, 09:08 PM
SuperSport

this was taken after I finished everything today.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM
SuperSport

head on.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
SuperSport

the blow dryer end
Old 04-22-2006, 09:36 PM
SuperSport

ok, this is a shot of a couple things. first off, the bar ends are vortex racing clip-ons. they are lower than stock. the problem is that some controls tend to rub on the fairing paint when the bars are turned. so the carbon fiber tape went down on the top side of the fairing just underneath the clip-ons to protect the fairing. works well. you can also see my new tricky bar-ends.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:39 PM
SuperSport

this is the other side. the paint on this side had already been scrathed by the throttle cable metal tube. the carbon fiber tape is doing a good job.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 PM
SuperSport

ok I put done tape to protect this part of the fairing because I usually hang my helmet from this side's mirror. it was a bitch to cut the tape to fit but I think it looks ok. remember, this is a pep-boys spray can paint job, so even with several layers of clear coat, its pretty delicate.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:48 PM
SuperSport

I tried to get a shot of the intergrated tail light flashing, but its kinda hard to see in the pic. much more obvious in real life. and way more obvious than the signals that used to be there, mounted almost directly behind the hindles. they were almost completely obscured before.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
SuperSport

alright, now I know this isn't pretty, but it's done up tighter than fort knox. after all the attempts at getting this section, and the other side airtight, I don't care what it looks like. it works, and I'm not complaining, but you can't deny "jerry-riggedness" of these attatchments. there are several car parts in there people
Old 04-22-2006, 09:56 PM
SuperSport

ok, last one. this is just an overall shot. all these pics blow waaay up if you click on them so anylize away, and let me know what you guys think. after 2 years of modding, I have finally done everything I intended from the beginning. that's not to say I'm finished, but I'm finished for now.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 PM
SuperSport

damn! its been 4 days, and nobody's got anything to say? don't spare my feelings guys. what do you think?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Squid

vtr_pilot

The exhaust looks good, you may want to reconsider the connection. Perhaps a exhaust shop in your area can help clean it up?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Red and black, interesting combo. Did you choose the paint scheme yourself or did you buy it like that? Not to be a dick, but it looks like you got some of that sealant on your foot levers...
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the red goop looks pretty bad. It's also adviseable to really clean up your ride when proudly posting pics of it. I can't even see the rear sprocket dude! LOL.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Back Marker

icebud

For which bike these exhaust was made for? Because like you seem to have do a lot of "fitting", I guess this is not the standard VTR1000 high mount system from Hindle?

The carbon fiber tape ( which is imitation I guess ) interested me, where did you got it and in what format it come? I means is it was a sheet, a roll? Which dimension? Is you have to glue it or it already have the rear side adhesive?

Next step for you, a good bike wash with some Superclean or SimpleGreen

Cia
Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
SuperSport

yeah, I wasn't trying to take glamour shots, I just wanted to show the mods. the wash is coming this weekend. I picked the paint color because I was doing it myself without honda color paint, and I needed a different color that I thought would look good. this way if I decide to change it, its no big deal, and I just can't justify the price of honda paint and a proffessional job. call me stingy. I don't think the pipes were made for another bike. I think they got torqued by a crash by the previous owner. the fit is close, but not quite right. but they are on and tight now, so I'm happy. the carbon take is not real carbon fiber. I didn't get it to convince anybody that it is. although I think that was the original intention when it was thought up. I just needed a durable surface for spots on the fairing that get rubbed alot. it came in a role. I foget the dimensions, but approx 3' x 1/12'. the back is adhesive, and it can stretch to some degree. I got it at my local honda dealership. they have sheets that are clear, kevlar looking, and black. but with the tank pad (by previous owner) and the new bar ends, I thought I had a nice trend going.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 PM
SuperSport

just giving an update. the silver clamps on my "messy" exhast connection are gone as is the stock clamp ring. I tightened it down as much as I could and when the pipe got hot, it would still wiggle around, so I took it off and replaced it with a car exhaust clamp, and tightened the HELL out of it. literally as tight as I possibly could. now no wiggle, and no leaks. and to be honest it looks a little cleaner now too. although I still have the sealant goop on it, but I'll just have to live with that. re-greased all the moving stuff, and lubed and adjusted the chain too. still need a wash but last weekend was all rain, and this weekend I couldn't do much riding, but the wash is all I have left.