Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

chin fairing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
chin fairing

after installing new pipes and shining up the header pipe I decided to paint the chin fairing to freshen the whole area up it's sanded and primered but I would like some oppinions first. my problem is I am currently running a pilot race front tire and it's so soft alot of small rocks stick then fly into the chin fairing. I'm due for new rubber anyway and they won't be as soft so here are my thoughts all feed back appreciated. thanks,Neil

1-paint gloss black and clear coat.= the hawk will eventually be all black

2-same as above but with a strip of rhino liner in the stone chip area.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Maybe do the whole thing in rhino lining-the chin, not the whole bike, although that would probably look cool too. It's a small part so it's not like it's a big deal to change it if you don't like it. Any color you paint it it's going to get chipped...
Old 12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
That was my first thought when I read it. Rhinoline the whole piece. If you don't want to potentially ruin the whole thing I've got a spare chin fairing that's seen better days you can have for the price of shipping.

Kendrick

(p.s. thanks for the fender captain)
Old 12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kendrick
That was my first thought when I read it. Rhinoline the whole piece. If you don't want to potentially ruin the whole thing I've got a spare chin fairing that's seen better days you can have for the price of shipping.

Kendrick

(p.s. thanks for the fender captain)
Thanks Kendrick, you're welcome. It's one of those things I bought it and then decided to do the front end swap, DUH!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I have a better idea. Paint it the color you want and then get some of the 3M clear adhesive film they use for cars and bikes. Bulk it should be pretty cheap. Then just cut a strip off and when it gets trashed in a few months peel it off and replace it again. Alternatively, you could contact a company like Tankslapper and have them custom make you some pieces. FWIW, I've tried both the stuff you can take off and reuse, though it's thicker, and I've used the thinner 3M stuff that is one use only. I like the thinner stuff.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
kendrick, p.m. sent Greg I like your idea i've seen the stuff but never thought about going that route I think I'll try it out thanks to all thats why I love this place
Old 12-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
I installed a new lower fairing on my bike. every few months take it of spray it and clear coat it only takes few minutes but worth the effort. I usually do this before I go to bed so the next morning I can just stick it back on and I'm ready to go.