Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Changed some tail section stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
Arrow Changed some tail section stuff.

I've been motivated this week to change a few things on the tail section of my SH. From past projects I have left over parts and wanted to keep the stock appearance of the SH while updating the look. To do this I changed the sub frame color to flat black to emulate a newer model motorcycle color. I also changed the rear turn signals and license plate light over to some I had lying around from a 2K6 GSXR 1K and remounted the light location to where the reflector goes. No sense to drill new holes if not necessary. I'll post pictures in a bit. I think it makes the look more modern. Let me know what you think.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
Pics!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Arrow

Attachment 11569

Attachment 11570

Attachment 11571

Attachment 11572

Last edited by tomzxt; 06-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Arrow

The first two show the flat black sub frame. Surprisingly it wasn't all that difficult to remove the sub frame. Just took some time and patients since I'd never taken this one off before.

The second picture shows the new license plate light and rear turn signals from a 2K6 GSX-R 1K. I removed the stock rear reflector just under the brake light to use the existing location and holes for this swap. It hugs up nicely to the tail light looking like it belongs there.

The last picture shows the new signals installed(on top) with the old ones below them in my hand. The new ones are sleek and aerodynamic where the old ones were big bulky and square looking representing the 80s lol. The signals were a direct bolt up with the exception of the wiring ends. The license plate light used the hole for the bolt for the reflector to run the wiring through and I had to drill two new holes for the bolts of the light. If I messed up the reflector would still cover them.

Last edited by tomzxt; 04-29-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
I moved my license light to the same spot as you did, installed smaller turn signals and moved the license itself up to the light. Cut off the mud flap, IMO. I've always thought Super Hawks look good with a black frame. I'm debating taking my wheels off and getting them powder coated, probably black. I'd rather have Marchesini wheels, but I'm never going to be able to afford that.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

I want to shorten the mud flap too. When I do I want to leave some there to keep the stock look. The license plate will be moved up on mine as well once I figure out what I'm doing with the mud flap. I lucked out and had stock black wheels. The Marchesini wheel are awesome if you have 2-3k to drop on them. I'm just sticking with mine for now.

Last edited by tomzxt; 04-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
black sub-frame is important. i want to do that eventually. someday i'm going to find a replacement for the rear cowl. some time ago i saw i picture, i think from a forum member who'd put i nice sharp clean butt on their SH. i'm gonna track them down eventually.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Arrow

I never received the solo cowl with my SH. Kinda sucks because it looks great with it.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
you should just grab the correct RED from your MC parts supplier of choice. it is defenately, a good finishing touch to the stock tail. about $83.00 new.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Arrow

Are you talking about red color or does the RED stand for something?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by tomzxt
Are you talking about red color or does the RED stand for something?
i'm a black SH, so i don't know for certain. but i think there may be 2 slightly different reds depending upon the year of the red. please check into this to make sure you don't end up with a red that doesn't match your plastic. i think you're safe if you just order the red for the corresponding year of your bike.

--fred