Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Anyone try a Keyless start mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Anyone try a Keyless start mod?

Always wanted to clean up the controls on the hawk and I figured hiding a toggle switch some where for the ignition switch and a push button for for the starter somewhere in the cockpit would be neat.
If I was to do this would I be able to just cut, crim and solder the wires and new connectors to the switches since the relays are already in place?
Same for the Hi/Lo beam?
and the final question, any manufacture preferance?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
SHawk Member
Back Marker

JN607 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a cool mod. You do it, and I'll follow. Haha
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Superstock

I am looking for switches and thinking of good places to hide them. Being in WA state they will have to be H2o Proof. I want to try and figure out what to do with the turn signal switch and loose the bulky housing but we will see.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I accidently had something like this when my ignition keyswitch died and I had to destroy it.

Arent you afraid of lack of security if any nut can push a button & ride off when you forget to turn it off? I would have a tuff time forgiving myself for losing my bike that way.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Superstock

Smokinjoe- I have a secure garage and I ALWAYS put a Disk lock on when I leave it out of sight for more than 3 mins. But usually when Im on the bike it is for long rides where I only am off of it for fillups. I understand completely where you are comming from,I will have to pay much more attention when I do stop the bike but I think after the first dead battery from leaving the bike on all night in tha garage will cure that. (lol)
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
How about one of those setups the new Cadillacs have? Now that would be sweet, and secure too.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Superstock

I had to google that. I think your on to something there Jamie. Get with in 15 feet and the lights turn on and any heated gear is activated so all you have to do is thumb the starter.
I was also day-dreaming about having heated rims that use brushes that are springloaded and are retained in guides on the inside of the forks that make contact with the rotors that transmit the electrical current to a internal heating element that has cut off point when it reaches what ever temp you adjust it too.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's doable. You won't get 15 feet with off the shelf stuff, but a card in your pocket and an RFID antenna will get you 5 feet or a bit more, so enough to walk around the bike. All you need is the antenna, a card and a microcontroller to verify the card identity and some random viring.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
I installed a toggle switch last week. Haven't ride the bike since then but i does switch on/off with no problems. It did not fit the round hole from the ignition switch(i am with gsxr750 front end so the ignition switch is also suzuki's)

Here it is

No problems with connecting it, there are no additional parts needed like resistance ot diod like for newer bikes.
Now i am thinkis for smaller toggle switch near that one for lights, just lights on/lights off as i got mono xenon spot light that only work for high beams.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
It's doable. You won't get 15 feet with off the shelf stuff, but a card in your pocket and an RFID antenna will get you 5 feet or a bit more, so enough to walk around the bike. All you need is the antenna, a card and a microcontroller to verify the card identity and some random viring.
To quote myself, this is what you need...

RFID Unit (with keys):
Serial UART 13 56MHz RFID Reader Writer Module with Cards

Arduino to run it:
Arduino Uno R3 Development Board 2012 Newest New Version USB Cable Included | eBay

Add a few wires, relays and whatever, and download a code example for RFID for the arduino, and it's done...
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
I think its ktm but someone makes this sweet tiny multi switch my buddy used it in his rd 350 build... it does lights horn blinkers and i believe it has a start kill button as well... its very small and looks cool... ill look into it and get a part number...
Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So you guys are talking about a proximity switch/electronic key. Every write up I have read both US and Euro mags say its an answer to a question no one asked. In the sense that its just copying what cars are using, but doesnt apply to bikes.

If you loose it in a car it falls in your lap, in one test I read on a kawi 14, the guy started the bike, had to run back to the table for his gloves, lost it, rode a couple hundred miles, turned off the bike and was hopelessly stranded.

I for one would not introduce complexity or defeat redundant safety systems on my bike. Yes its wacky and zany and you can impress your squid friends with it. None of that appeals to me.

Function over fashion.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 12-08-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So you guys are talking about a proximity switch/electronic key. Every write up I have read both US and Euro mags say its an answer to a question no one asked. In the sense that its just copying what cars are using, but doesnt apply to bikes.

If you loose it in a car it falls in your lap, in one test I read on a kawi 14, the guy started the bike, had to run back to the table for his gloves, lost it, rode a couple hundred miles, turned off the bike and was hopelessly stranded.

I for one would not introduce complexity or defeat redundant safety systems on my bike. Yes its wacky and zany and you can impress your squid friends with it. None of that appeals to me.

Funcion over fashion.
Actually, I couldn't agree with you more... It's a gimmick, nothing else... But I'm looking at it from a technical standpoint since the question was asked.

For one, it would be stupid beyond comprehension to make it a permanent on switch with a keyless system. Ie a system that lets you start the bike and keep riding with the key at home is silly... I'd make it read the key every 5 seconds or so, and after failing more than once, it would turn on a warning light, and if it keeps failing, the bike would shut off...

Second, to even begin thinking about it, for me it would have to be as secure as the stock lock, ie all cables and parts hidden, secure and tamper proof... It can be done, but takes a lot of work, skill and unconventional thinking...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Superstock

I understand where you all are comming from and respect your views on this. I was just asking if it was going to be a straight forward switch swap. Im not going to do the electronic card reader thing.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is some discussion on using RFID, sounds like it would work - cheap too.
Best price for Guard Dawg keyless ignition? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
ScotchRocket
Squid

scotchrocket is on a distinguished road
I mounted a 30a round toggle switch where the original key hole is located after I rerouted the ignition to beside the battery box. It's basically a back up if I ever lose or break my key. I had an 83 KZ250 and the ignition went out on it. I mounted switches on the bike under the seat section. You still needed the key to remove the seat so it was a win win, sort of.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Electrical Components : Switches & Indicator Lights - Dune Buggy Parts, Sandrail Parts, VW Parts - MooreParts.com
Scroll down to the switches.
I put one of these off/on/momentary on sealed switches in my sand rail. I don't leave it out in the rain but I wash it thoroughly and have towed it in the rain with no failures in 10 years. You could put a sealed on/off switch under the seat, or in a hidden location and a momentary on somewhere near the controls or in the fairing for the starter.

better link
http://www.mooreparts.com/store/cate...Triple-Sealed/

Last edited by superbeater; 01-16-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added better link