Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Pepper Spray

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Pepper Spray

Hey LEO's, I need some advice. I want to pick up some spray for my sisters ( I have a few) and want to know if this would be some good stuff:

http://www.foxlabs.com/meangreen/index.shtml

I was also going to follow up with some wipes for the eyes (in the case of back splash):
http://www.foxlabs.com/sudecon.shtml

I was also going to get some of the inert training units for them. If you know if there is a better product or any other advice in this arena, please fill me in.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Good idea with what's been in the news lately.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I think that's a great idea. I did the same for all the ladies I care about. My girl keeps one on her person and another in the car. I think that should do the job I remember back when I was shopping around Fox labs was a name I remember. I just got some real small ones from a local shooting range so they'd be hidden and portable. I've been accidentally sprayed in the face before and especially when you don't know what's going on it's not fun.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
And by the way there are some crazy ***** out there this stuff doesn't work on, but I'm sure it should put down 99.99% of the ******** out there. It made me choke and I couldn't breathe, my eyes and face were on fire, and that was just being downwind of the spray. I'll just always remember a friend of mine who's a cop said they were chasing a guy one night and it came over the radio that he was also an MMA fighter. He sprayed him in the face and the guy said "arrrrrrrgh hot sauce!" mocking him. I guess that's what guns are for...
Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

epleeds is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, unless they hold it in their hands at all times its a waste of time. 90% of the time, they won't be able to get to it or it will go off in their face, which defeats the point. It gives them a false sense of security. It would be better for them to take a self defense class, so they know where and how to kick the person and be more aware of their surroundings. I have used it many times in the field and it only works half the time. More often it just pisses the person off.

That being said....being aware of your surroundings helps making you less of a target. and knowing what to do if your attacked, and better than that, knowing how you are going to respond to that attack is better than a small container of pepper spray..
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Squid

FuzzeyFiveOh is on a distinguished road
Spray can be effective, however keep in mind, most sprays efficacy only has a reach of about 6-8 feet and an effective reaction can take up to 10 seconds to start working. If someone has a knife, spray ain't gonna slow the knife down from cutting long wide and deep. Same with a gun.

Epleeds is right, a good defensive class is an excellent suggestion. Park in well lit areas, keep head up, and on a swivel when out in public, learn to start identifying people out and about (approx 6'2, white male, plaid shirt, blue jeans, walks with a limp on the left side, etc etc).

A good defensive weapon is anything you can turn into a weapon... I purchased a kubaton for my mother and fiance... (essentially a small cylindrical metal bar slightly larger than a fist that attaches to their key chain) to assist in strikes to key muscle groups... they even make kubatons with a pull tab that contains a small amount of pepper spray in it... (google ASP kubaton).

While something is definitely better than nothing, train like you fight, and fight like you train. Muscle memory of reaching for that pepper spray is more important than even knowing to use it. You have to know WHERE it's kept, reliably, and even the proper direction of the nozzle.

My OC is kept nozzle side facing me, in my duty belt holster, so when I remove it, I grab it, place my index finger on the nozzle trigger, and can turn it outward in one fell swoop. Some others prefer storing it upside down, others right side up, facing outward... all things that can assist with muscle memory of the draw.

Shoot, while we're at it... may wanna look into a small STEEL Asp as well... but check your local laws for concealed weapons... some jurisdictions will require a concealed weapons permit for such things. (Ridiculous, I know...)

With allllllll that being said, Fox makes some potent stuff. I also bought my loved ones the 5.3 formula... that stuff is STRONG!

We carry the Punch II 2k3 in our Dept, and that stuff is still mean as can be.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Dualsport
Squid

98SKS is on a distinguished road
Best pepper spray EVER. www.coldsteel.com/pepper-spray.html

Last edited by 98SKS; 03-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Squid

FuzzeyFiveOh is on a distinguished road
2 mil scoville isn't that hot for the inferno... however it looks as though it comes in a pretty thick foam... that stuff is mean. Foam has it's place in self defense, just remember, wind can really ruin your defense plan.

The biggest problem I have seen with ANY OC spray is a delayed reaction time. In most PDs, all officers have to be exposed to OC to know what to expect... it took a good 8 seconds to work on me, in the summer time, sweating with pores open...

An even more effective, albeit much more costly alternative is an ECD... taser international puts out some good stuff, and even has a "civilian" model called the C2 that if ever it needs to be used and becomes damaged or lost because of your needing to use it, they will replace it free of charge! and with a 30 second shock to your assailant, it makes your escape that much more likely. Law Enforcement tasers have 5 second burst and continuous current, capability (so long as the trigger is pressed, or repressed).

But again, something is definitely better than nothing!

One more thing...

if you're ever exposed to OC... BE CAREFUL IN THE SHOWER!!! Eventually the oil gets absorbed into your skin and the pain goes away. HOWEVER- if you wash up hours later, minutes later, whatever- BE CAREFUL. Your pores will open up, and the oil will resurface. And for the love of all that's holy... watch washing your "bits"... there is NOTHING hott, about a hot tamale or spicy taco!

Last edited by FuzzeyFiveOh; 03-22-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: A warning for OC useage