Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?

So at first I tried to plastic weld it into place. No good. Almost fudged it up for good.
So then I looked at Lowes...found some plastic specific contact cement. So I roughed up the mating surfaces with like..50 grit sandpaper and glued them together.
So far so good! Its holding pretty damn strong, although I'll admit I'm gentle with it. I wired it into a large gauge 3 wire plug behind the gauges, and ground to frame. Only catch is, its hot 24/7. But I guess that's nice...Say I wanted to charge the celly without having to run the bike...done.
Anyone else do anything similar? What route did you go?

Name:  IMAG0840.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  196.9 KB
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
A VTR I sold had one. It was riveted to the battery box, on an aftermarket undertail. So the plug was under the subframe in front of the battery box. He used it for some cheap LED's to light the license plate, and for his phone charger he just pulled the light plug out and put his charger in.

pretty good idea. Although i'd look into why yours is hot all the time... make sure it isn't drawing power all the time. Does it have a lighted ring or lights at all?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Only catch is, its hot 24/7. But I guess that's nice
Name:  IMAG0840.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  196.9 KB

You might want to change that to being on only when then key is on. This will eventually drain your battery even if nothing is plugged in. For this, you will need a volt meter to test the wires coming from the ignition. You are probably connected to the live feed to the ignition right now. You want to connect to the wire that powers on only when the key is in on position. Also, be sure to fuse it to avoid a nice fire, 5amp fuse max should do the trick.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Superstock

Awesome guys, thanks!
There's no lights or anything, just an outlet.
And it is fused.
Just got back from my trip to Catskill NY...no problems, except that the friggin plugs rattle out and loose power...so now I just put a rubberband around it and that solves it.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Squid
Squid

triplespeed is on a distinguished road
Powerlet

Type-2 Rearset Kit - Powerlet Products
Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I added one. Good for the gps and to throw it on charge in the garage overnight.

Also put an ambient temp thermo, battery/start gauge, ipod holder, gps ram mount in the stem, cbr gauges, cruise control, alarm light.

Once you get started........
Attached Thumbnails Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-cbrdash-004.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I cut a small piece of aluminum, bent it 90 deg., and screwed the outlet to it. I drilled a hole in the other part of the bracket and used the bolt for the guages to hold it on. It is solid, and doesn't interfere with the bars when I have something plugged in.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRumble
I cut a small piece of aluminum, bent it 90 deg., and screwed the outlet to it. I drilled a hole in the other part of the bracket and used the bolt for the guages to hold it on. It is solid, and doesn't interfere with the bars when I have something plugged in.
I did something similar but have the outlet circuit on a fused relay circuit connected to the battery plus have it switched so I can turn on my GPS after start up. I also have a relayed coaxial plug and another direct to the battery, the later of which I can connect the Teltran Battery Tender + and easily check battery voltage. A coaxial plug is more efficient than an SAE polarized jack. I can power my cell, tire air pump, etc with them too.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-p0007_170412.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-p0013_170412.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-p0006_170412.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-p0004_170412.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Superstock

Some pretty nice set-ups guys, thanks for all the pics! Awesome to see what an how others have done things...and then reflect on your own half-assedness LOL

An Smokinjoe; wow! What is that thing, a Goldwing? LOL

An to jack my own thread for a sec...Skokievtr is that a radar detector I detect? Those things really work? I've always relied on the whole, cops wont pull over speeders if your goin fast enough mantra...except that guy doin a claimed 198mph in the rain in NY...why the f@#k did he pull over?! LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Bandit400man
An to jack my own thread for a sec...Skokievtr is that a radar detector I detect? Those things really work? I've always relied on the whole, cops wont pull over speeders if your goin fast enough mantra...except that guy doin a claimed 198mph in the rain in NY...why the f@#k did he pull over?! LOL
I do not get what U mean above but I have run RDs for 20+ years and they have saved me from a ticket more times than I can remember plus they warn of construction zones (and now in Illinois radar-triggered speed ticket cameras) and emergency vehicles. I have the RD hard-wired & fused to a relay switched by the ignition circuit. I always buy an RD/LD with an earphone jack and run a line to a secondary jack on the gas tank, into which plugs a mono earpiece that is "permanently" fixed behind each of my helmet's left ear padding/pockets. I also now have a BT transmitter that plugs into the RD/LD and pairs along with my Garmin Nuvi 765T to a BT dongle that feeds noise canceling ear buds. However, I usually just use the mono earpiece (cheapest to buy a 100db stereo pair and cut off the right bud), and mute the GPS unless I want music on a long ride. Some people use only a visual warning indicator that plug into the RD but such devices do not differentiate band warnings very well that the newer RD/LD units signal and can tell you verbally.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

^^^ thread jack ^^^

skokie, does that garmin have a headphone jack? For me I use a nuvi but since it doesnt, I actully run my chatterbox microphone to the speaker to hear it. On long trips I can toggle between stereo music and the gps voice when I need it. Archaic I know but dont do many long trips.

If I am using the intercom with my wife then she becomes the gps reader. Do you find the RD gives alot of false signals? Havent used one for a while but sounds prudent.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
^^^ thread jack ^^^

skokie, does that garmin have a headphone jack? For me I use a nuvi but since it doesnt, I actully run my chatterbox microphone to the speaker to hear it. On long trips I can toggle between stereo music and the gps voice when I need it. Archaic I know but dont do many long trips.

If I am using the intercom with my wife then she becomes the gps reader. Do you find the RD gives alot of false signals? Havent used one for a while but sounds prudent.
yes it has an earphone jack & BT + traffic
see
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=14926

RDs can give false warnings depending on model but you learn to interpret good & bad signals, well worth the distraction IMO
Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Superstock

Hmmm...good to know...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
Old 07-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Back Marker

One is direct to battery and the other is switched with a relay. The nuvi 765 is what I run.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I just wired in a USB jack that I got from Burnsmoto. I mounted it on the left lower side of the gauge cluster where there is a recess that it fits perfectly in. I don't have any pics to post of it as of yet.

If you don't have anything plugged into the jack it's not going to draw any power and run your battery dead. The only way it would do that is if it had a light or something in it to actually draw power.

Skokie where did you find your noise canceling ear buds? Who makes them and how much were they? I have a friend that's been looking for some but he said all he's been able to find are some from Sony that were several hundred dollars.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Stixx
One is direct to battery and the other is switched with a relay. The nuvi 765 is what I run.
I'd be concerned about engine & radiator heat and having wires running down the side out in the wind to plug into the outlets down there. 765T like mine?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Back Marker

Yes 756t. I have around 20,000 miles with it set up like that and have not had any trouble. I ziptie or rubberband any extra length of wire around my slider which sits just aft of the plugs.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

Views of my cockpit
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM
SuperBike

Ooops, forgot to attach pics
Attached Thumbnails Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-img_0037.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-img_0039.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-img_0041.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-img_0106.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Squid

mileyguard is on a distinguished road
ive put one in for my gps but have found out at 138 my charger pops out LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Superstock

LOL damn you guys ride friggin Goldwings! That things crazy huge! I just use an 80's? era eclipse tank bag that my uncle's friend gave me...you can see that sad sack on my tank...put my gps in there. Works alright...really using it so I can make an educated decision (what size I really need, magnetic, strap, ect) when I finally purchase some real luggage.

Which brings me to yet another thread...

OGIO Saddle bags. Anybody got em?

Last edited by Bandit400man; 07-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Superstock

Oh an mileyguard, bust out some rubberbands on that bad boy. It'll solve that popping out problem. That's what she said! Oooohhh! LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Bandit400man
LOL damn you guys ride friggin Goldwings! That things crazy huge!
U talkin bout my lil hard rear case, it really is not that big. I don't even know its there and is very aero behind me...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

Skokie, first of all, what is with the 17" laptop bolted to your bike.? You do realize theres a whole world of hard things coming at you at high speed right beyond that right?

Second, its only a matter of time before you realize you want to upgrade to a givi setup. C'mon, 2 full face helmets? Optional sidebags; pop on & off.

That JCwhitney case is exactly how I got started down that road and now I dont know how I could live without em. Holds your helmet plus groceries.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-6.07picomp-021.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-bufftrip2011-014.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Skokie, first of all, what is with the 17" laptop bolted to your bike.? You do realize theres a whole world of hard things coming at you at high speed right beyond that right?

Second, its only a matter of time before you realize you want to upgrade to a givi setup. C'mon, 2 full face helmets? Optional sidebags; pop on & off.

That JCwhitney case is exactly how I got started down that road and now I dont know how I could live without em. Holds your helmet plus groceries.
17" laptop? LOL, it is actually a JCW case I bought maybe 12 years ago when they still had Warshawsky's here in Chicago. I also have a bigger 2-helmet trunk made by Shad, plus the Ventura 2-bag system, semi-hard saddle bags and an assortment of tank bags. But around town and day-trips, the lil' trunk is more than adequate and much more aero; and in addition to the tools & such in the trunk my custom Sargent saddle has a tool tube and I carry a 1st aid kit, tire repair kit, gas siphon tube + other stuff under the seat. So I'm good capacity wise.

BTW, you need a Penske shock to handle your tonnage. Whose mirrors are those and tell me about what appears to be Bark Busters in front of your grips. Can't tell but did you upgrade your front calipers to something eq to my F4i clamps & SP2 MC? I have Don H's mirror extenders with R1 stems & mirrors, a 65/75w H4 + twin 50w DL. So I guess U don't ride at night

Last edited by skokievtr; 07-18-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll play along, added mine for '08 trip to Indy MotoGP

have on left side, w/ inline fuse directly to battery.

Also have a cane holder on right side - lol - (need cane from cage accident in Oct. '11)

Thus, w/ charger, cane & Givi + heated grips, I'm ready to go

Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
I'll play along, added mine for '08 trip to Indy MotoGP

have on left side, w/ inline fuse directly to battery.

Also have a cane holder on right side - lol - (need cane from cage accident in Oct. '11)

Thus, w/ charger, cane & Givi + heated grips, I'm ready to go
Were you on Greg's old runlevelzero.net forum? I went to the 08 Indy washout to. What a disaster trying to get north to Skokie, it took me 12 hours of detours through water up over my knees.

BTW, I put my Penske reservoir on the right side as far from the rear header as possible. Too bad about the cane. I know pain due to a bicyclist taking me out on my pedal-bike causing 2 ruptured disks btwn C4 & C6 + a torn rotator cuff & other assorted injuries. Still have pain, burning, tingling & numbness in my left shoulder & down my arm. Now they want to fuse them. I've tried helibars,"tubulars" & now the Tommaselli's, lowered & raised & re-contoured the Sargent foam 4 times, added lower Vario pegs, and still take Motrin like candy & & have to stop more often than my but needs. In cold weather the heated grips help some.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-img_0028.jpg   Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?-img_0024.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Were you on Greg's old runlevelzero.net forum? I went to the 08 Indy washout to. What a disaster trying to get north to Skokie, it took me 12 hours of detours through water up over my knees.
No problem leaving Indy on Monday after race, took slab (I-70) East to Wheeling, WVa, then some backroads, couldn't take the slab any longer. I think 14 hrs. back to Bethlehem, Pa
Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Squid

Felton1 is on a distinguished road

right side on the ear of the battery box. theres nothing behind it but open space.

Quick Reply: Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?