Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

AirTech Rear hugger

Old 06-26-2015, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
AirTech Rear hugger

Another SH forum user posted about the company AirTech Streamlining out of Vista CA and the availability of a hugger which would work with the 900RR brace mod for the SuperHawk.

I contacted AirTech, and in minutes on the phone had one ordered.
The AirTech part AT 95 listed to fit the CBR900RR 1996-1997 was under $90 shipped.
They do not "stock" parts, all are made on demand.. so I had to wait a few days. Lead time was estimated at 2-3 weeks
I ordered on the afternoon of 5 Jun part arrived at my door in perfect well packaged condition 26 Jun or 15 calendar days later.

Fit looks good... overall finish is, well average. As expected it needs priming, sanding, and basic paint prep work,, but in addition it needs
one side to have the part line fixed as who ever trimmed the mold excess off did a choppy job on the right side.

And the Gelcoat release was not great with spots it pulled away on that will need to be filled before priming

None of those are show stoppers ,, just buyer beware,, If your looking for a part you can take out of the box and install, or rattle can and install your going to be disappointed.

The part as mentioned above is unfinished, and no mounting provisions are made.
I will be attaching is with 3Mô Acrylic Plus Tape PT1100, Black, 45 mil which is thier best, high performance automotive double sided tape. I will also be fixing it to the brace with 4 black aluminum M4 button head screws. Either using rivet nuts or drill and tap then screw in directly.

The part itself will be painted semi gloss black to match the swing arm.
I am also bonding a reinforcing strip of carbon fiber to the underside of the hugger. The huger is very lightweight, made from a single layer of fiberglass. I do not think it will survive long term without some addition reinforcement be it more glass, CF or a metal brace. I could be wrong, but figure why not address it now, while it's easy, vice repairing it later .
Attached Thumbnails AirTech Rear hugger-hugger-airtech-overall.jpg   AirTech Rear hugger-test-fit-side.jpg   AirTech Rear hugger-test-fit-rear.jpg   AirTech Rear hugger-choppy-lines.jpg   AirTech Rear hugger-gel-coat.jpg