Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

New From Indiana :D

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Squid

Goose86 is on a distinguished road
New From Indiana :D

Greetings all! I’ve done a lot of searching and found a lot of info on this forum and finally decided to register. Figured my 1st post should be an introduction.

New from northern Indiana, picked up a ‘98 Superhawk about 1-1/2yrs ago after my ‘04 ZX6R was totaled in an accident on my way home from work in June of ‘17.

Bought it with some common add-ons and needing a bit of work but it’s been fun to change some parts, learn how she rides, and see the transformation take place!

Bought it with 7300 miles, Vance & Hines slip-ons, and a Zero Gravity Double-Bubble screen.

Paint wasn’t the greatest to start out but wasn’t terrible, just a good bath, some love, and a full service needed.

Got new tires and had the wheels powder coated a wet gloss black. Found a “new in box” set of Two Brothers high-mount
slip-ons on EBay and replaced the Vance & Hines pipes due to being rotted out. Added a rear seat cowl, Pyramid rear hugger, and got a standard height Dark Smoke Zero Gravity screen.

After a full bath, compound, polish, and wax she’s up to snuff and been enjoying it ever since! Had to replace the Gen 1 voltage regulator and add a battery but solid since then 9400 miles now and going up lol

Hoping to get a Pyramid lower fairing, some new signals, and I have a PowerBronze undertail waiting for install over this winter.

Last edited by Goose86; 10-30-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Welcome. She cleaned up real purdy.

Is that a stock rear shock? It looks like it 'cept it's way too shiny.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:05 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Welcome. She cleaned up real purdy.

Is that a stock rear shock? It looks like it 'cept it's way too shiny.

Thank you! Yeah it took a bit of elbow but I’m happy with how the paint came back to life!! Just want to maintain it the best I can now lol...my buddy had me clean his ‘88 Hawk GT before putting it away for the season lol...pretty neat to see a SuperHawk and a “Baby” Hawk together haha

As far as I know it’s a stocker lol...I’ve been kicking around the idea of having the full suspension rebuilt and set for my weight but haven’t sorted it all out just yet..
Old 10-30-2018, 02:18 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard,

Nice looking bike and the right colour,

Love the pipes !
Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Welcome aboard,

Nice looking bike and the right colour,

Love the pipes !

Thanks! Haha, for sure...I’ve read that Red is the “fastest” color, (or so some say) for these...Yellow isn’t my thing, and there are a ton of assorted Black bikes around here locally.

I’m super happy with the Two Brothers pipes as well! I had a Black Series on my zx6r so wanted to stick with the brand. I just need to figure out what bolts I’d need and how to space out the passenger pegs to re-fit them though. Any suggestions on how to measure for choosing the right length bolts and such?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Looking good to me!
Welcome to the forum
Old 10-31-2018, 06:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Floyd
Looking good to me!
Welcome to the forum

Thank ya!!
Old 10-31-2018, 06:50 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! Funny as I first saw the pics I said man it'd look mint with gloss black wheels and a different exhaust and as I'm thinking it I'm scrolling down to the newer pics haha. Looks awesome! Very nice!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:48 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Welcome aboard! Funny as I first saw the pics I said man it'd look mint with gloss black wheels and a different exhaust and as I'm thinking it I'm scrolling down to the newer pics haha. Looks awesome! Very nice!
Thank you all for the warm welcome and compliments!!
Glad to know I’m going with the right choices!!

I really wanted a touch of originality as most S/H’s come with black wheels standard. I thought the gloss would be a good subtle difference. “Keep it nice but simple right.” And the exhaust was a must...somehow I found an un-touched set of Two Brothers in California hidden on a back wall warehouse shelf lol...definitely changed the whole image and tune!!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Oh, well, if we're going with right choices, then I have to say YELLOW.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:28 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Oh, well, if we're going with right choices, then I have to say YELLOW.
Agreed, using yellow as a sanding coat works well before the white primer and sealer coat and then the proper Italian Red base color...
Wait,,,, is that not what you were saying?

Oh, well then never mind...

Last edited by E.Marquez; 10-31-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:31 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

As long as we can all agree that would make it a YELLOW SuperHawk.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

As long as we can all agree that would make it a YELLOW SuperHawk.
Ugly, sanded in spots, coved in primer sealer and then finished in the fast beautiful and proper color of Italian Red, yes, yes we can agree on that.....LOL
Old 10-31-2018, 03:43 PM
Squid

^^^^^^^^ Hahahaha!!! I’ve read some of the famous color debates from on here before!! I’ll have to be say I’m in agreement with how all that is stated...makes perfect sense to me LOL
Old 10-31-2018, 06:17 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

There's no debate.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:05 PM
Squid

There's no debate.
Lol, can’t argue with the facts from the veterans here

Funny as it is though, E. Marquez might be on to something as this was a blemish I had to touch up when I purchased the bike. Seems like legit proof haha

​​​
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Welsome!

Just a few miles from the DMr Performance Suspension world headquarters.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Welsome!

Just a few miles from the DMr Performance Suspension world headquarters.

Thanks! Closer than one would think upon a Google search lol...I work in Ft Wayne and live just south in Huntington! Have to maybe see about checking you guys out over this winter 😄👍🏻👍🏻
Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 PM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
Greetings Goose86.

Your bike looks amazing, you've done a really good job there.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by ripvanwinkle
Greetings Goose86.

Your bike looks amazing, you've done a really good job there.
Greetings to you Ripvanwinkle, thank you for the kind words!

Still a few odds and ends to get for it but I’ve been really pleased with the change over from the SuperSport I had. The engine note alone is what made me choose the SuperHawk over the different bikes out there lol...although I really considered one of the new Z900’s for a bit. But having a payment deterred me from that haha

Btw all, anyone have recommendations on a good set of bar grips? My OE’s are old and spin free and are due for replacement lol
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Permanent Student
Squid

2.5i is on a distinguished road
I’ve been using a set of progrip 838’s on mine this summer and like them. They’re slightly thicker than the grips that came on the bike when I purchased it. Would recommend!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 2.5i
I’ve been using a set of progrip 838’s on mine this summer and like them. They’re slightly thicker than the grips that came on the bike when I purchased it. Would recommend!
Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely looking for something a little thicker to take away some of the bar vibration. I’ll look into them and maybe add them to my winter-parts list 😊
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Squid

Just figured I’d post some updates with the new parts installed and picture bragging a little lol...thought it proper here rather than a new thread...

Got the new radiator installed and painted them a matte black which adds a little subtle difference but nice I think.

Originally had a set of smoked old-school Lockhart Phillips Flush Mount 1’s I was going to install but couldn’t find a sensible way to mount them without putting new holes in the fairings (no bueno!!!) Opted for Proton 500’s which are awesome and I should’ve done it in the 1st place lol...totally understood what the buzz is all about with them and the flashing patterns you get from placing the magnet on the signals are pretty cool too! Super bright and they fit well also!!! 😄

Got my PowerBronze undertail painted and trimmed down the stock tail...only had to Dremel off the part where the plate mounts up and kinda enlarge the lock hole on the stock tail tray for it to mount up. Fitted a smoked integrated tail light as well...I’ll probably go clear next year to match the Protons but it was what I had lol..

Also fitted some new grips, went with Renthal Grip Tech 32mm grips and put HVMP Heavy Bar-Ends on with them. 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 07-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Squid

For a reference to help others since when I searched I never found many visual aids on how to trim this for my under-tail...this was my 1 attempt and fail... I didn’t like that it removed the one tab to mount the ignition box and such...didn’t really like the idea of them rattling around 1/2 attached

So we mocked up the cut off part to see if cutting the bare minimum would work and that’s what we went with. I got another OE tail panel off eBay and we trimmed at this white line. Final details trimmed along the way but it’s the general mark we cut at...hope this helps anyone else looking to install a tail!! 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 07-02-2019, 06:21 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Goose86
Opted for Proton 500’s which are awesome and I should’ve done it in the 1st place lol...totally understood what the buzz is all about with them and the flashing patterns you get from placing the magnet on the signals are pretty cool too! Super bright and they fit well also!!! 😄
Nice update thanks

On the Protons ...which did you use? I don't see a listing for the VTR

Proton 500 LED Flushmount signals - Honda
Old 07-02-2019, 07:37 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Nice update thanks

On the Protons ...which did you use? I don't see a listing for the VTR

Proton 500 LED Flushmount signals - Honda
I ordered the ones for the RC51 after looking closely at RC fairing images and reading a few threads on here. They are darn near the EXACT same shape.

They fit better (more flush) without the stock rubber grommet, but they made the finished product look cheap I thought. The washers to mount them that were supplied weren’t large enough diameter I felt so I went to the local ACE and got a couple larger ones. “Fender Washers” I believe they were called there. Stuck them in the vise and bent them like the one above so they would clear the wires on the signal body. The signals come with Red, Yellow, and Black wires, each goes to their female mate on the bike. Black = Ground, Yellow = Power, and Red = Signal if I remember right. Don’t quote me there though haha...Also the Protons work perfectly with the LED tail light and the little LED relay that came with it...no seizure flashing!!!

I originally wanted a set of signals that would fill the holes a previous owner drilled in the fairings 😖😫....I was so mad when I 1st saw them

So I got to experiment with about 3 different sets of signals to cover them up lol...had the LP’s color matched when I got my undertail done as well...

Needless to say I got fed up with not getting the end result I wanted and said screw covering the holes and bought the Protons which I ultimately wanted 🤣🤦🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️ Guess I’ve got spares now hahaha
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM
Squid

Btw E. Marquez...I have on my list of upcoming purchases to order one of your RR kits when I get the chance and extra available cash. Very nice work on those!! 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 07-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Goose86
Btw E. Marquez...I have on my list of upcoming purchases to order one of your RR kits when I get the chance and extra available cash. Very nice work on those!! 👍🏻👍🏻
Thank you and Happy to help.

I'll have to order a set of those lights and try them out.

I only have three items for the VTR at this time, more in the works, but not ready yet.

Regulator Rectifier kit

COP Kit

Flywheel lightening service.

Shoot me an email at marquezmotorcycleservices@gmail.com when your ready

Erik
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 AM
Squid

Definitely will! Thanks!!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:24 AM
Squid

New year, new updates...got a Two Brothers Header from Captainchaos and did the finish work on it to get all the ugly baked on grime off, waiting for gaskets to install and think I’m going to put a different set of
slip-ons with it. A bit more era correct in a way...

I love my high-mounts, but the girlfriend is wanting to ride this year and I can’t bring myself to space pegs out the amount needed...

Pretty clean set of carbon Two Brothers low mount pipes I scored on EBay a while back...probably box up the High-Mounts in case I ever opt for them again and she lets me back on a solo setup haha

More to come when installed fella’s...

Last edited by Goose86; 04-25-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: New From Indiana :D