Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My new ride!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Squid

Kymera is on a distinguished road
My new ride!

Hi all,

Fairly new member, this is my third post (I think) and I just picked up the new-to-me bike yesterday . I actually bought it a few months ago. It's a 2000 Firestorm (Canada) with 30K KMs. I guess that's about 18-19K miles. The pictures may not show it but the color is really unique. It's in excellent condition too. The word mint doesn't do the bike justice.

The bike is pretty much stock. After market flush-mounts and back turn signals and stainless braided brake lines. The CCT's were checked a year ago and I don't abuse my bikes so I'm not too concerned there. The brakes are really strong which surprised me as well.

Between the ride home and the short ride I took after I can already see that it's going to be a fun ride. My previous ride was a Yamaha FZR1000 which was pure muscle. This thing is much more well mannered.

I'm thinking some high-mount pipes might be my first add-on. What else should the new FS (SH) owner consider doing? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
Nice bike. You're gonna luv it!
Mine came with two bros pipes. The sound is really addictive but perhaps not so much for the neighbors. New pipes are pricey but modding the current ones might provide more grins on the cheap. The corbin seat on my 2005 was ok for a 300km ride yesterday but I would hate to have tried the OEM if the Corbin is supposed to be an improvement. Headilight relays from Easter Beaver noticeably improved the headlight output. LED's wherever possible (it looks like you have some already) frees up some juice for electric vests and other accessories. Searching the site will give you a tonne more tips. Have fun.

-Darc
Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Congrats on a beautiful bike. I had my forks done by Greg this past winter and the difference is amazing. I waited a year to do it though. I wanted to be able to tell the difference. I upgraded the brakes also...Next on the list is +2 on the rear sprocket........Good Luck
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
Very nice looking bike! When I got mine it already had TBR slip-ons, jet kit, sprockets and the forks redone. Other than some cosmetics that's everything I would have wanted to do to it myself when I got it. Personally, I probably would've done the exhaust and jetting first thing since it really makes it sound nice.
________
SICK FROM PRILOSEC

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
very nice bike, like the color
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
As a 2000 it likely has the older style R/R that are known not to last. Also you mentioned CCTs, they are the other fault the bike has, manual ones are recommended.

Other than that, anything you might choose to do is for improvements rather than reliability.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Very nice! I've had mine since new in '98 and it never gets old. Watch that torque out of the corners. It takes a little control at first. Seems like more than a few new owners have found that out the hard way. Enjoy!

Last edited by runrowdy; 04-13-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice. Congrats... now RIDE IT!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the input! I will start some research on forum for the forks and re-jetting right away.

One question though, lazn mentions the older style R/R that are known not to last. This will probably be stupid but I don't know what that is. Any clarification would be helpful.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
regulator/rectifier it is located on the right side under the tail plastic. Take a look at it, if it has fins on the outside you are good if there are no fins order a new one with fins.

Where in Canada are you?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Nice ride, where are you in Canada?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by g_clarke_2008
regulator/rectifier it is located on the right side under the tail plastic. Take a look at it, if it has fins on the outside you are good if there are no fins order a new one with fins.
Thanks! I'll look into that right away. What is the problem with it?

Where in Canada are you?
I'm as far east of you as it gets. On a rock out in the Atlantic!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Kymera
Thanks! I'll look into that right away. What is the problem with it?
Well any electricity generated by the Stator and not used by the motorcycle gets turned into heat by the Voltage Regulator Rectifier to prevent overcharging the battery. This is how pretty much all vehicle charging systems work.

Honda in their infinite wisdom decided that a 1" x 2" metal backed block of plastic could dissipate all that heat into the frame and the air.

Well it turns out that the R/R gets hot.. Too hot, and over time that heat breaks down the R/R, eventually leading to failure. When it fails it can either fail but no longer providing enough power to charge the system, or (as it did in my case) no longer properly regulating the voltage and overcharging the system.. Leading to a boiled battery and if you keep riding long enough in this condition a fried electrical system. (I only lost the battery on my bike)

Honda later realized that the other motorcycle manufactures were on to something when they put metal heat sinks on their R/Rs and started doing so sometime in either 01 or 02.. There is no other difference between these and the earlier R/Rs so they are drop in upgrades for the older bikes. Also several aftermarket MFGs started offering fined upgrades for the bikes.

Either way, the fined R/Rs seem to be able to dissipate the heat load well enough to last quite a long time. (I have yet to hear of a new one failing, but that isn't a guarantee)
Old 04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

seb421 is on a distinguished road
Same colour as mine only mine looks a little better, also a 2000 model

see here https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18234

Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by seb421
Same colour as mine only mine looks a little better, also a 2000 model

see here https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18234

Dude, where'd you get the lower fairing? Did you have to paint it? Honestly, I wasn't hot on the colour at first but it is growing on me and it is pretty unique. Nice pic's of your bike too.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by g_clarke_2008
Well it appears I have an old style rectifier. It seems some have replaced them with other manufacturer models that require some wiring mods and there also appears to be aftermarket Honda models as well. Anyone know if the aftermarket models are directly compatible with the Honda connector? I am assuming they are but would like confirmation. I'm not interested in messing with the wiring.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

off the top of my head i couldnt tell you, i will tho get back to you, im from the uk it was a company bassed over here. they are primed and then you order what colour you want and then they post it out. it melted it other day after doing CCT's and misfitted it, it was touching exaust slighty i went toilet came back and saw smoke!! arghhhhh not to bad tho
Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

i think a an R1 or R6 model is commenly used
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
welcome! that is a nice color.

you're farther east than me. nl is out there.

i used an r6 r/r. bought it from mrcycles.com because it was 1/2 the price of the local dealer. the border was no problem either, but you know you could get nailed there.

slip ons are a must.
buell low pegs are nice.
get rid of that tank bra before it chafes your tank.
oury grips.
canadian tire weather station is on sale right now. i velcroed it to my mirror.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

i have got to get on auto cct. truck makes them and you should check his build thread "first vtr, most of one"
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 PM
MotoGP

Well it appears I have an old style rectifier. It seems some have replaced them with other manufacturer models that require some wiring mods and there also appears to be aftermarket Honda models as well. Anyone know if the aftermarket models are directly compatible with the Honda connector? I am assuming they are but would like confirmation. I'm not interested in messing with the wiring.
There are direct replacement aftermarket R/Rs that plug right in..

This is the one I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...spagenameZWDVW

That page doesn't list the VTR as compatible, but it is.. Honda used the same part for almost all their bikes over those years.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'm as far east of you as it gets. On a rock out in the Atlantic!
A Newfie? Watch out for those moose. I've heard there are a s@#*load of them there.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Nice lookin SH. First thing I would do is get rid of those reflectors and clean up the tail section a little. The pipes are a must IMO.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Nice lookin SH. First thing I would do is get rid of those reflectors and clean up the tail section a little. The pipes are a must IMO.
I was looking at how to get the reflectors off last weekend but it looks like I might have to take the rear cowl off to do it cleanly as there were no screws underneath. Any suggestions on the pipes?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The reflector are rivited in, I drilled mine out. You'll get a bunch of different opinions on pipes. I have Jardine high mount but there are lots more choices. Any will uncork the sweet music of the motor.