Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My 1978 Kaw KZ650 SR

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
My 1978 Kaw KZ650 SR

alright everyone so before i got my beautiful SH in september i rode around a 78 kz650 that i had fixed up my sophmore/junior year of highschool... got the bike FREE from a friend and needless to say after 8 years in a garage with gas in and having been put down it needed some help...anyway i have been doing work on it since then and after acquiring the SH i have had time to really disasemble it and work on it, i did a full paint job in december in a buddies garage and now that the body looks beautiful (first paint i have done) i want to make the engine a bit cleaner, now i am contemplating putting in a 70's 750 however i am a POOR college student and it has a running engine in it now, so what i am asking is is there anything like paint or lots and lots of polish that i can use to clean it up a bit? its very tarnished and just looks...well old... i have seen some adds on ebay for the engine case polish MAAS? anyone used it or anything else? i want to have a second bike in the spring and i absolutely LOVE working on this bike i plan to make it into a bit of a cafe racer over the next year or so nothing too fancy but for a 30+ year old bike it RIPS around.

SO any advice would be great ill put pics up of the paint if i can get them on here

Thanks a ton guys
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I bought one of those, brand spankin' new in CA in 1978. I traded in a '68 Olds 442 convertible for the down payment. They gave me $500 for it. It was mint except the electric windows and top were sporadic. I saw the 442 featured on the cover of Hemmings a few months ago. The article inside said the '68 convertibles were valued at $98,000.00 in perfect condition. Typical. I drove the hell out of that bike. It was the only vehicle I had. Thank god it never rains in southern California. Drove it back to NY in 1980. Sold it and bought a 1983 or so (first year) VF750 interceptor. That was fun. That's all I got. Then again, I have my SH now!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Here is a multipage engine cleaning guide:
http://www.cbxclub.com/davespage/mcy84-1.html
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JPP
I bought one of those, brand spankin' new in CA in 1978. I traded in a '68 Olds 442 convertible for the down payment. They gave me $500 for it. It was mint except the electric windows and top were sporadic. I saw the 442 featured on the cover of Hemmings a few months ago. The article inside said the '68 convertibles were valued at $98,000.00 in perfect condition. Typical. I drove the hell out of that bike. It was the only vehicle I had. Thank god it never rains in southern California. Drove it back to NY in 1980. Sold it and bought a 1983 or so (first year) VF750 interceptor. That was fun. That's all I got. Then again, I have my SH now!
i know what your saying the kaw is a great little bike and for a beginner to get into owning and caring for a motorcycle it was perfect for me, now about 2523948723472 hours later its beginning to look pretty good and come this spring all the college ladies will be admiring it