Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Found my old norton

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Found my old norton

Called some people and located my second bike bought in 1965. It's a 1962 Norton Atlas 750. Bought it stock, full fenfers, steel wheels etc. With the urgings of Motorcycle dealer(Bill Black) for Norton, BSA, BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi and who knows what else, I stripped it down til every part was separate. Had it repainted, spoked in alum wheels, replaced fenders with alum, fiber glass seat(not pictured), reversed cone megs, and some parts chromed.

Bill Black, who often advised Norton factory race mechanics, put Amal concentric carbs on(32mm I believe), polished and ported the heads, and did some lower end work as well, and changed the front sprocket to 23 tooth for higher top end speed, specifically to beat the local Harley stroker gang who challenged the "English Scrap" incessantly. He had his engineer friend, who he referred to as DingHow, calculate top speed/rpm with the new configuration and he arrived at 139mph@7000rpms. I usually ran it to 7200rpm or 142mph when racing the local hogs.

Pics are in my album for now

Last edited by nath981; 03-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
That is so cool!!!!!!!! Good pic, too!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
me likes!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i like the way you told that story! nice bike too! i assume you bought it again, yes?, no?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
that bike is saweeeeeeeet. cool story too.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Very cool! So did you just find it or actually buy it?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
wow now that is a nice bike, really like the old school ones, gotta love the nortons. good for you man!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
That is too cool!
Man, you 've got some "experience".
Old 03-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Is it you or the current owner in one of the pics?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

Didn't buy the bike back. Didn't even ask, but if I had the money and he wanted to sell, i would love to. I'd have to put disc brakes and my old fiberglass seat back on cause those drums do not stop. Spent 5 short hrs. talking about the riding experiences we had 40 years earlier----what a reunion!!!

It was one of those periods where there was always someone to ride with since 40-50 of us had bikes and we all liked to drink a lot and we all liked to ride a lot. And yes, there were old age crazies riding with us young guys then. No helmets, no gear, just sunglasses and nothing at night. Try riding over a buck without glasses today. No way.

We couldn't believe that only one of us were killed and that was by a driver who turned into 6 riders just to turn around on a country road. Diff times back then as far as traffic, cops, and a whole bunch of ****, and bikes owned the roads. We used to get them rollin down Cresson mountain and see who could stand up on the seat the longest. We'd draft pass each other at 110 repeatedly for miles just for the rush. And one bike did it all then: 1/8th mile dirt drags, trail riding, street and track drags(best time was 13.1 sec in the 1/4 mile cause the gearing was so high it never got into 4th gear--hahaha....who cared, just fun). Running from the cops was the norm and it was highly highly effective then, and 2 mile drags on I-80 before they opened the road to traffic. What a time we had last night.

Oh and that 32 ford was built by a guy that lived on the next block when I was a teenager. It was the most beautiful, immaculate maroon deuce I ever drooled over.

I never in my life got into saving or collecting anything, just tying to use it the best I could and often maybe a little better. But after spending some time with an old riding friend, that 32 ford and my old Norton, i'm really glad that everyone's not like me or i wouldn't have been able to experience all those great memories.

Last edited by nath981; 03-05-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Is it you or the current owner in one of the pics?
that's me. A handsome old devil, huh!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
SuperBike

it's too bad we're spread all over the world.

there are a bunch of people here that i'd really like to sit and have a beer with. I think it'd be a hell of a party.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

NORTON PICS:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...hp?albumid=290

Dam. ****. I neglected to get a pic of the 100mph+, unfaired riding position employed for minimizing wind resistance. Oh well, I'll describe it: lay flat out, chin on rubber sponge taped onto top of the tank, knees draped down along sides of seat, and feet crossed over rear fender on tail light. This works well up to about 130mph at which time things tend to become unstable. Don't worry though, just keep it pegged. hahaha. I never really analyzed it til now, but with the weight that far rearward, it's really a no-brainer.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR

there are a bunch of people here that i'd really like to sit and have a beer with. I think it'd be a hell of a party.
no doubt!

i'm thinking it might turn into a hell of a lot more than just "a beer", huh. I think how great it is that we have this forum to at least realize that.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That is so cool. Did you wear Speedos to reduce wind resistance while stretched out on those speed runs? I'm sure you've seen that photo from Bonneville 50 or so years ago.

A guy I taught with in the late 70's, early 80's (he taught the motorcycle class, I taught auto) had a Norton. He was my age, 63 now, and had owned the Norton forever. He said his wife had instructions that when he dies, the Norton goes in the grave first.

I know it's not the same, but the new 961 Commando sure looks great. And it's hand made in England again at a factory at Donnington Park.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I just checked out that 32. Full fendered is the best as far as I'm concerned. I love the steel wheels and hub caps too. I think "Dubs" ruin the look of many customs today. But hey, I'm old...I don't like rap music either.

Looks like a Chrysler in there, judging by the location of the distributor.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 03-04-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
that's me. A handsome old devil, huh!
You look to be about the age of my dad... It's OK though... He still keeps pace on two wheels, beating me most of the time (On track mostly)... He's a bit slower on foot theses days but that's OK... Keeps the scores even...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
no doubt!

i'm thinking it might turn into a hell of a lot more than just "a beer", huh. I think how great it is that we have this forum to at least realize that.
Oh I'd like that too... And no... One beer doesn't cover all the talking we need to do...

I had a brainfart a while ago and decided that one day when I have the time and money I'd take a trip around the world and meet all the interesting people on this forum... SOmeday I might put that into action...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
You look to be about the age of my dad... It's OK though... He still keeps pace on two wheels, beating me most of the time (On track mostly)... He's a bit slower on foot theses days but that's OK... Keeps the scores even...
Yeah i'm the big 6 7 and glad of it, esp with all the crazy **** I've somehow endured, thus far anyway. Hey, but too soon to claim victory cause I'm still climbing. After all, what's the alternative, hahahaha.

Most non-riders, and maybe even most riders, will never realize what riding a motorcycle does to keep you feeling young and alive. I realize this more than ever now after this reunion with my friend Pete that brought memory of another person we rode with. His name was Allen Clemens, he rode a 650 BSA and had cebral palsy. He rode with us alot and now I really understand why. He could wick-up that 650 BSA with his bent-back, 90 degree wrist of his. He had to twist himself forward and lift his elbow high to get his hand on the throttle. Once he grabbed the grip, he had to use his elbow to pull down to do what we do with a mere twist of the wrist. Looked a bit strange,like one of those wild-*** flat-trackers with their elbows high, but no one cared when he was doin his burnout or flying past you on a curvy road.

When I put this memory together with another CP person i met a few years back when i was doing some educational stuff with his son, I realized something significant. This guy, Ronnie, and I became bicycle friends when he told me he liked to ride. At the time, he had just had an operation for the big C which rendered him bladder incontinent, so he had to wear the dreaded bag on his side. I told him to come to the house anytime he wanted to ride and he did, very soon. He would usually come in the afternoon or evening and I would drop whatever I was doing and get the bike out. We'd go for a couple hours and longer on the weekends.

We struggled up the hills and flew in the wind down the other sides, many times covering 20-30 miles or more. I didn't need to wait for him because he came inching by me on the upgrades, but since I weighed 50 lbs more could pass him on the downgrades. We peddled ourselves stupid and had a great time doin it. Sometimes he would have to lay down along side of the road when the pain got too much to bear, but he would never let me call my wife to pick us up. we always somehow made it back on our bikes. During those 6-8 months we became closer and I began to understand what he was doing. When we were riding, he was free of his 2 C's, he was alive and well, and he was just like me. This high had to be good so that it could sustain us till our next ride, so we rode hard. We were like a drug addicts gettin their fix, and then we were high again. Ronnie went down fast as the his cancer overtook us. He passed within a few weeks, but not without leaving part of him with me.

The thing that is clear to me now is that what Allen and Ronnie were doing is now what I'm doing. The only difference is that my handicap is age and what it brings with it, but the fix is the same. Riding is freedom from encumberance, like a bird on the wing. Freedom from anything debilitating and it produces the feeling that everything is fine, and when the exhiliration begins to wane, you know it's getting time for another fix. And when I get down, all I need do is recall what these courageous people have taught me and i'll be ridin again and feeling exactly like they did. thanks for the enlightenment guys.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Great stories. I always describe riding as "closest thing to flying you can do (mostly) on the ground". It is great for the head. When you're tearing it up any problems you have get bumped down several notches because all the things that go into riding had better be the very most important things you're doing or else you don't get to have these sort of memories!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
MotoGP

+1

and those of us that have made it this far know that what you are saying is exactly right. As i'm getting the gear on, I get myself into the mode of attention to details and focus and this is always spawned by the notion that this could easily be my last ride.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:09 AM
MotoGP

do you see anything here that might give you a clue as to what some us, that is the ones with serious problems, need to do to get though the winter months?hahaha

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Snow chains.. Nice
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Great stories. It's great that you found your old ride again. Funny how a sight of something, sound or smell can bring memories of fun times rushing back. And the time that has past puts things in a new light.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

Great stories and great timing.

As many of you know, my last street ride ended in a disaster that I was lucky eough to walk away from. I only had to endure about 10 weeks of agonizing misery and I was fine after that.

Then it took me 3 years to get another bike in the garage, after disposing of all other debt, so my wife's arguments against it had little or no clout.

so I got my bike 95% finished last spring and had a wiring problem that I couldn't figure out and ended up in a frenzy that started Friday morning, trying to get the bike to run, so I could get to the track on Saturday morning.

It was such a rush, right up to the moment I pulled my leathers on that I didn't take the time for any mental preparation. My first ride in 3-1/2 years lasted 15 minutes before my throttle stuck wide open and I mowed a big swath through the field outside of turn 7.

Well, it's almaost a year later now, and all the replacement parts are here and paid for. the bike is just about ready to pour some fuel in the tank, so I can hear that lovely rumble.

There's nothing sensible about it. But I'm living for the day when I can get back out on her. this time, and every time, I will be prepared - mentally, physically and mechanically.

Sorry for the minor thread jack - it just got me thinking...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Nath, you and my dad think alike.

I went through a divorce in 2006, with 2 young kids. Tore me up.

Kids went to visit my parents for Christmas. Dad hands me the titles to 2 bikes. A 1983 Honda XL600R and a 1986 Honda TLR200. Says he fell, hurt his ankle, the bike Single gives him hell trying to kick it over.

Time passes, we have an discussion and the truth comes out. He could kickstart the big Single, no problems. He gave them to me as a distraction, a new hobby.

I loved that XL600R, got me started. Got me on the road. Enjoyed it so much, I looked for a street bike and came across the SuperHawk. It has gone from just being a distraction, to being a love affair. Like many of us on here. The ability to get away, to feel free, to be lost in a moment.

Thank you for sharing the stories of Allen and Ronnie. It was a well needed reality-check, at least for me, to remember to live for today, not for tomorrow.

Erik
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That is so cool. Did you wear Speedos to reduce wind resistance while stretched out on those speed runs? I'm sure you've seen that photo from Bonneville 50 or so years ago.

A guy I taught with in the late 70's, early 80's (he taught the motorcycle class, I taught auto) had a Norton. He was my age, 63 now, and had owned the Norton forever. He said his wife had instructions that when he dies, the Norton goes in the grave first.

I know it's not the same, but the new 961 Commando sure looks great. And it's hand made in England again at a factory at Donnington Park.
naaaahhhh! no speedos. A motorcyclist wearing a speedo, I might take a shot at em. There is some history here. hahaha

I loved that Norton, but it required daily maintenance. If you did skip a day or two, you knew that something was goin to fall off. We used to carry baleing wire for that purpose and we did need it. Of course, that could have been directly proportional to how it was ridden. And no brakes. Don't plan on getting stopped at the end of the block if you jump on one.

Oh, I completely forgot about the fact that the shifter is on the right and has opposite shift pattern. crazy huh!

that new Norton is another story. Funny, but being made in england was somewhat of a curse at one time, Lucas, sticking pistons, teeth rattling vibration. Nowadays we have the opposite with Triumph and now norton. what a difference a half a lifetime makes, huh.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kmm996
Great stories. It's great that you found your old ride again. Funny how a sight of something, sound or smell can bring memories of fun times rushing back. And the time that has past puts things in a new light.
OMG! wow, you are 100% on the money. I am so happy to have had that catalyst to revive those memories and the feelings that accompany them, and additionally that I can share a few of them with you all.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM
MotoGP

Great stories and great timing.

As many of you know, my last street ride ended in a disaster that I was lucky eough to walk away from. I only had to endure about 10 weeks of agonizing misery and I was fine after that.

Then it took me 3 years to get another bike in the garage, after disposing of all other debt, so my wife's arguments against it had little or no clout.

so I got my bike 95% finished last spring and had a wiring problem that I couldn't figure out and ended up in a frenzy that started Friday morning, trying to get the bike to run, so I could get to the track on Saturday morning.

It was such a rush, right up to the moment I pulled my leathers on that I didn't take the time for any mental preparation. My first ride in 3-1/2 years lasted 15 minutes before my throttle stuck wide open and I mowed a big swath through the field outside of turn 7.

Well, it's almaost a year later now, and all the replacement parts are here and paid for. the bike is just about ready to pour some fuel in the tank, so I can hear that lovely rumble.

There's nothing sensible about it. But I'm living for the day when I can get back out on her. this time, and every time, I will be prepared - mentally, physically and mechanically.

Sorry for the minor thread jack - it just got me thinking...

Sorry hell! you ain't rainin on anyone's parade with this wisdom. It's funny that I learned that lesson (being in the moment) driving an 80,000 lb rig from here to hell and back a couple times, esp because you can do some serious damage with a missile this large. Calling home and getting upset about some stupid ****(like my wife's latest boyfriend or one of the kids had an arm cut off), then driving down the road and having a close call, or what i refer to as a wake up call. Couple of these had lasting effects on my awareness thereof. Pull off the road and sit there till I get my **** together.The dispatchers don't like any delays, but i taught them eventually that their load will get there when it gets there. That means i don't move til I'm mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared and if that's not acceptable, find someone else to haul your ****, or you can double the pay to spark my motivation. That shut em up quick.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Nath, you and my dad think alike.

I went through a divorce in 2006, with 2 young kids. Tore me up.

Kids went to visit my parents for Christmas. Dad hands me the titles to 2 bikes. A 1983 Honda XL600R and a 1986 Honda TLR200. Says he fell, hurt his ankle, the bike Single gives him hell trying to kick it over.

Time passes, we have an discussion and the truth comes out. He could kickstart the big Single, no problems. He gave them to me as a distraction, a new hobby.

I loved that XL600R, got me started. Got me on the road. Enjoyed it so much, I looked for a street bike and came across the SuperHawk. It has gone from just being a distraction, to being a love affair. Like many of us on here. The ability to get away, to feel free, to be lost in a moment.

Thank you for sharing the stories of Allen and Ronnie. It was a well needed reality-check, at least for me, to remember to live for today, not for tomorrow.

Erik
you're welcome and the feelings are mutual in that helping someone works both ways for me in terms of gratitude, a lesson that many of the narcissistic sociopaths increasingly common today will likely never learn.

It's like learning to see the whole picture, instead of not being able to see the forest for the trees....and on that note, some of us elders may not be as dumb as we appear, e.g. your pop.

Last edited by nath981; 03-05-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Found my old norton