Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Before cutting the carbon fiber panel by hand with a Dremel, I checked Craigslist real quick and a guy in the next town over was selling a new, okay brand (Ryobi) scroll saw for $65. Got it for $40 and he threw in about $35 worth of blades. It works absolutely AWESOME for cutting a panel of carbon fiber. One of the packages of blades the guy included were "spiral cut" and you can cut in any direction, which comes in handy.

I've been doing construction (everything involved in building a house) since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and used a scroll saw back when I was a kid. I totally forgot how usefull these are. I have a large bandsaw and usually just use that. It's cool to be able to do really small delicate work.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:48 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I had another look at your complete posts and noticed that you have removed Honda markings from the engine cases.

So have I, that was done when I polished the cases when I did a heap of engine work and was waiting on parts.

All of the factory treatment on the left hand side was badly corroded and a mate of mine had started calling my bike a HOMDATI, and that was another incentive to do it.

The only place you can see honda is on the key and tank. Not that I am not happy with Honda, but I love to stir my mate up and I like my polished cases.

Sometimes people ask me what make of bike it is.

I can assure you that I have no desire to own a Duke as I have already had that experience, but obviously like you I want my bike to be the best for me.

Full credit for where you're at with it.

What about the X-Wing?

Keep posting, it's interesting to a fellow tinkerer.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks man. Removal of all signs Honda, was because nobody knew what a Superhawk was around these parts, so why not really make it difficult. The only issue I had, was after painting my stock Superhawk wheels and installing new tires, then and only then, did I realize that it clearly says Honda, which is cast into both the dang wheels. Haha
Oh well. It's not happening with my second set of wheels (6 spokes).

Like you, I have nothing against Honda. I used to own a '90 Honda CRX ('Vette cobalt blue paint, body kit, lowered, wheels, ect. Man, I stuck a lot of money into that little car back in '93. I can post pictures if anyone wants to see it. It was tastefully done. Not riced out. The CRX doesn't exist anymore. 2 weeks after selling it, the guy I sold it to gave the keys to some guy he just met and that dude was drunk. Drunk dude drove the car head-on into the side of a Walmart at 20mph and...Walmart won. I got to see the car after. It was a complete loss. Sorry, kinda went off on a tangent there.)

The X-Wing testing will still be done. I'm actually just waiting for decent weather around these parts. Next week is suposed to be in the 50's & 60's. We'll see.

If I have time this week, I'm going to stop in at the local auto paint store and see what it will cost to paint the Superhawk.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 AM
SuperBike

What colour?

I recently saw a white one with blue accents and it looked trick,

The frame was also painted black.

Great work keep going, posts like yours are inspirational and give me new ideas on how to improve the bike.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Colour? Oh! You mean color haha
Actually still not sure yet. The colors I have in my head are either black, cobalt blue, gun metal grey, or possibly burnt orange.
The frame & sub frame are getting powder coated black (over the next winter), so I need to keep that in mind when I choose a... colour. I'm hoping I can get some samples to hold next to the bike and also have someone photoshop the different colors for me to help me decide. I also want to know how much everything will cost to paint the bike, so I can figure out a budget.

Today, some packages came in the mail! My GPR V4 steering stabilizer came back after the rebuild/service work. It was free, which was very nice, but they replaced all of the stainless steel bolts, with black ones...dangit. I hope they don't rust. When I opened the box, there was a little bit of oil on the body of the stabilizer, which I'm hoping is just from the service and not from a leak. Time will tell.

The Honda 954 tripples came as well. They were in better condition than the pictures showed, which was a nice suprise.

I found enough leftover material to fabricate the clip-ons, so they are in a small pile along with the material to make the new coolant resevoir. The way work is looking, I won't be able to tackle making any of this untill this coming Sunday. So, no new pictures of anything yet.

I'm still waiting on my Dr. Honda velocity stacks. There was a mix up on the sellers end and the package ended up taking a trip around the country, which is funny to hear. Just as long as the package gets here, then I don't care.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-25-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Burt orange haha, wait...he was orange, wasn't he?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Ernie was orange, Bert was fastest.

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk-berternie.jpg
Old 03-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Ernie was orange, Bert was fastest.
Never once did I think a picture of Bert & Ernie would make it into my build page. Gave me a good chuckle

Something showed up at my door today

Name:  20140327_153555.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  105.8 KB
Old 04-05-2014, 04:44 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
CUT THAT CARBON IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!
don't ask me how I know. wear a mask.
it creates a very fine powder.
it will tear you up.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Oh heck yeah. I treated it just like when cutting fiberglass. There was a vacuum attachment on the scroll saw, so I used my shop-vac with a HEPA filter (99.97% at .3 microns). Don't want to breathe that crap in. Also wore gloves, good mask, longsleeve shirt, etc., etc.

Also, it looks like some decent weather coming up, so I might be able to get the Superhawk out if the basement and onto the roads for some TESTING! Finally get to test the F.I.L. mod, and the X-Wing stuff. About time, hey?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Got the bike out and fired it up for a few seconds. Expect some testing this week! The weather still looks decent
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Cool build. My finger prints are on the bike now lol.

What are you fabricating up with the CF?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks Rick.
As for the C.F., I'm using a 12"x24" 1/8" thick UV coated panel for a decorative piece on top of my custom made dash (pictures soon. Just need to finish the edges) it looks pretty damn cool in my opinion. After the dash, I made up templates and marked them onto the C.F. panel for the metal braces that hold the carbs together (making two sets actually). I just need to find time to cut the dang things out. Those were the major items I had planned on. But, after holding these cut pieces in my hands, it just feels like my bike calls for more C.F. pieces. So, I'm making C.F. inserts for the clutch cover. If you go back in my build page, you see I made my engine covers two tone (silver & black). I'm going to glue C.F. pieces onto the black parts of the clutch cover. It's subtle, but should look pretty dang sweet.
The rest of the C.F. sheet will be used for little things on my Superhawk Chopper project, which by the way, I might have found a Harley Davidson roller to put the Superhawk engine into. But, that's for another time and thread.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 AM
SuperBike

X Wing thoughts please!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kenmoore
X Wing thoughts please!
Check out the X-Wing thread. Testing starts tomorrow
Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
SuperBike

Great, good luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Visited the paint store yesterday. After seeing the colors in person, I decided on matte black frame & subframe and a matte finish electric blue color on the fairings. Here's the color:

If the picture doesn't show up Click here

I was absolutely sick and tired of people thinking that I crashed my bike after seeing the repairs done to it. So, not being able to sleep last night, I took the plastics off from the rear (it was the easiest). Finished what little bodywork remained and shot everything in black primer. Still need to do the front plastics, but those are going to wait untill after the X-Wing testing. The paint will be shot at the end of next week (crossing my fingers).

Name:  20140408_180804.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  114.4 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-09-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: "My fake plants died, because I did not pretend to water them"
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Got some new stuff! New wheels

EDIT: While looking for parts that I might need for my new wheels, I came across these on eBay. I really dig the all white look on these wheels! Now I'm not sure if I want to paint/powder coat the wheel two tone, matte black & matte blue.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-19-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I got the new junction box for my Veypor gauge today! It's back to working as it should. While I had the tank off to build a new plush mount for the junction box, I primed my tank and also installed two clear Mr. Gasket fuel filters.

Name:  20140531_153629.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  94.7 KB
Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM
SuperBike

The seat fairing panel looks great with the mesh!

I want that!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The seat fairing panel looks great with the mesh!

I want that!
Thanks man. I actually want to switch it out with a material that is thicker or something with a different design. With the material I have now, from 15 feet away, it looks like there is almost nothing there. It looks almost like home storm window screen.

Pegasus Auto Racing has some cool metal mesh. They are about a 3 minute drive from me, so I can actually see and hold the stuff before I buy it.

When it is painted, the tail will be titanium grey and the mesh will be black. Should look pretty cool.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Thanks man. I actually want to switch it out with a material that is thicker or something with a different design. With the material I have now, from 15 feet away, it looks like there is almost nothing there. It looks almost like home storm window screen.

This stuff is pricey but cool...

https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.ph...&product_id=86

used it for the modified intakes on my Duc...

Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 AM
SuperBike

I fitted mesh to the vents and light on the top fairing.

I bought it from an auto shop for $28- and have enough left over for a few more things like the radiator vents and maybe my seat panel if I ever get the nerve to cut a pristine panel.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I fitted mesh to the vents and light on the top fairing.

I bought it from an auto shop for $28- and have enough left over for a few more things like the radiator vents and maybe my seat panel if I ever get the nerve to cut a pristine panel.

Nice! I'm gonna do this!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 AM
SuperSport

Visited the paint store yesterday. After seeing the colors in person, I decided on matte black frame & subframe and a matte finish electric blue color on the fairings. Here's the color:

If the picture doesn't show up Click here

I was absolutely sick and tired of people thinking that I crashed my bike after seeing the repairs done to it. So, not being able to sleep last night, I took the plastics off from the rear (it was the easiest). Finished what little bodywork remained and shot everything in black primer. Still need to do the front plastics, but those are going to wait untill after the X-Wing testing. The paint will be shot at the end of next week (crossing my fingers).

That is gonna look amazing. Excellent craftsmanship too!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 AM
SuperBike

I thought it looked good too!

Even better when I fitted a blue globe.

A small thing but it personalises the bike!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I thought it looked good too!

Even better when I fitted a blue globe.
For just a split second, I imagined that you put an actual globe, you know, of the earth, stuck to the front of your bike. In my mind, it was the size of a baseball and it was dangling from a mount. Just for a split second, you see. Then I had a good laugh

You and your ausie speak! I love how you guys talk.

So, on your side of the world, if a lightbulb burnt out inside a flashlight, you would say, "the torch's globe broke", right?

I had a pen pal (when's the last time you heard that?) when I was in 5th grade, (early '80's) and I got to choose where my pen pal was from. Since I have always wanted to go to Australia (still do actually), I got a pen pal there. I still remember her name, it was Pamela Christensen. I could probably find the address on some old Air Mail letters we were sending each other for some time. We lost touch a couple years later. She was a cool chick from what I remember.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I haven't slept, so I started again reading about Stan Meyer and his water car and found that people have figured out just recently, within the last year or so, how it all worked. Electroplated 304 stainless steel was the answer.

Anyways, I started looking into making the Superhawk faster, but not the normal way. And I found this AMR500 Supercharger! I had looked into the BMW Mini supercharger, but it's not only been done before, but it's just too dang big. This little AMR500 displaces 500cc. I am not saying that this is what I'm going to do with my Superhawk, but I now have a list of everything necessary to make it work. If I get a spool for my MIG welder (I don't have a TIG and I'll need to weld brackets to the aluminum frame), this can be done for pretty cheap.

Now to go mow the lawn while extremely sleep deprived. It's very steep in some parts, so it keeps me on my toes.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 PM
SuperSport

I haven't slept, so I started again reading about Stan Meyer and his water car and found that people have figured out just recently, within the last year or so, how it all worked. Electroplated 304 stainless steel was the answer.

Anyways, I started looking into making the Superhawk faster, but not the normal way. And I found this AMR500 Supercharger! I had looked into the BMW Mini supercharger, but it's not only been done before, but it's just too dang big. This little AMR500 displaces 500cc. I am not saying that this is what I'm going to do with my Superhawk, but I now have a list of everything necessary to make it work. If I get a spool for my MIG welder (I don't have a TIG and I'll need to weld brackets to the aluminum frame), this can be done for pretty cheap.

Now to go mow the lawn while extremely sleep deprived. It's very steep in some parts, so it keeps me on my toes.
A few years back a guy from wisconsin flipped his mower. Cut the weiner off, true story, they sewed it to his wrist to keep it "alive" until surgery could be scheduled. So ya know....be careful...
Old 06-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jerryh
A few years back a guy from wisconsin flipped his mower. Cut the weiner off, true story, they sewed it to his wrist to keep it "alive" until surgery could be scheduled. So ya know....be careful...
Ouch!

I have flipped a mower here once. My mower was down at the time (stupid Craftsman), so my Dad dropped off his real nice, brand new mower and it was super easy to use. However, there was something I did not know about this mower.
Here's what happened. After mowing for a few minutes, I found myself facing up a steep incline and I wanted to reverse a little, while making a turn to the right, so I could continue mowing the front yard (I have done this countless times before with my mower). Well, I put the brakes on, shifted to reverse and release the brake. At this point, I assumed I was in reverse, and with a hydrostatic transmission it will be very easy to control. Nope. Not what happened. Because I didn't depress a stupid button on the dash before I put the mower in reverse, the mower defults to NEUTRAL. When I released my foot from the brake, the mower takes off! It rolled a few feet and I try hitting the brakes, but this mower weighs a **** ton and being on a steep incline, the rear tires just slide on the grass doing nothing to stop me. I had the front tires slightly turned to the right, because that's where I intended to go in the first place, so as the mower is zooming down the hill backwards, rear wheels locked, the front swings 90 degrees to the right, and right at that moment, I SLAM the back end of the mower into a large oak tree and the momentum of the mower flips me off of it and the mower starts to do two and a half barrel rolls. As the mower is doing calisthenics down my front yard, the hood flips open and gets all bent to crap. I came to rest in the ditch at the bottom of the hill. I stood up asking myself, WHAT THE F#%K WAS THAT ALL ABOUT!?

I don't know how I didn't slam the back of my head into the oak tree when the rear of the mower hit it. I also don't know how the mower deck didn't cut me up somethin' fierce when I was ejected, because when the mower started to roll, I kind of stayed in the same spot mid air, so when the mower was upside down, I was all Air Jordan above the twirling blades in the mower deck.

I NOW know that there is a button you need to press, BEFORE you put the mower in reverse, otherwise, it simply won't let you. Some B.S. safety? feature I guess. Yes, it does in fact say in tiny little letters, right below the steering wheel, what you are supposed to do to get the mower in reverse. Yeah, I missed that. I assumed this mower worked that every other mower out there.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 AM
SuperSport

Ouch!

I have flipped a mower here once. My mower was down at the time (stupid Craftsman), so my Dad dropped off his real nice, brand new mower and it was super easy to use. However, there was something I did not know about this mower.
Here's what happened. After mowing for a few minutes, I found myself facing up a steep incline and I wanted to reverse a little, while making a turn to the right, so I could continue mowing the front yard (I have done this countless times before with my mower). Well, I put the brakes on, shifted to reverse and release the brake. At this point, I assumed I was in reverse, and with a hydrostatic transmission it will be very easy to control. Nope. Not what happened. Because I didn't depress a stupid button on the dash before I put the mower in reverse, the mower defults to NEUTRAL. When I released my foot from the brake, the mower takes off! It rolled a few feet and I try hitting the brakes, but this mower weighs a **** ton and being on a steep incline, the rear tires just slide on the grass doing nothing to stop me. I had the front tires slightly turned to the right, because that's where I intended to go in the first place, so as the mower is zooming down the hill backwards, rear wheels locked, the front swings 90 degrees to the right, and right at that moment, I SLAM the back end of the mower into a large oak tree and the momentum of the mower flips me off of it and the mower starts to do two and a half barrel rolls. As the mower is doing calisthenics down my front yard, the hood flips open and gets all bent to crap. I came to rest in the ditch at the bottom of the hill. I stood up asking myself, WHAT THE F#%K WAS THAT ALL ABOUT!?

I don't know how I didn't slam the back of my head into the oak tree when the rear of the mower hit it. I also don't know how the mower deck didn't cut me up somethin' fierce when I was ejected, because when the mower started to roll, I kind of stayed in the same spot mid air, so when the mower was upside down, I was all Air Jordan above the twirling blades in the mower deck.

I NOW know that there is a button you need to press, BEFORE you put the mower in reverse, otherwise, it simply won't let you. Some B.S. safety? feature I guess. Yes, it does in fact say in tiny little letters, right below the steering wheel, what you are supposed to do to get the mower in reverse. Yeah, I missed that. I assumed this mower worked that every other mower out there.
The legal guys at the manufacturer almost ended you. There are so many "safetys" built into mowers it can be a pain to keep them running. Make sure to share the weiner story with your woman, she'll appreciate you're not an amputee. Never heard if that guy left it on his wrist or what. I'm sure Dad was glad you survived but was bummed about the machine. My father experienced that feeling when I pulled in his driveway with the boat trailer and no boat.

Quick Reply: CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk