Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

bags for the SH

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
bags for the SH

ok guys i was wondering what kind of saddlebags everyone is using?? i need some and im on kind of a budget but i want to see what brands and styles people have!

thanks!

bearshawk
Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Saddlebags? What do you think this is, a Hardley?

But seriously, I've seen a few folks with Corbin Beetle Bags, a couple with soft throw-over style bags, but mostly tank-bags on sport bikes.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Superstock

well i know but im a college student right now and i dont own a car, just 3 bikes and i need a way to get groceries and transport stuff more than just a backpack full from my house 2 hours away, just wondering what brands people used, and the beetle bags arent produced anymore correct?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I think mine are these: http://www.newenough.com/parts/lugga...addlebags.html

there are cheaper ones on there too, these work fine with low mount exhaust. I have high mount so can't use what I got, but when I do make a long trip (what I got them for) I will be swapping my stock exhaust back on for that.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
I use a magnetic tank bag for short trips and day rides but If I am going for any length on time and need to carry a tent and sleeping bag then I use this

http://www.gearscanada.com/products/...-tail-bag.html

Its been a great bag, well built and easy to use. Best bang for the buck that I could find to carry that much gear. It also comes with a waterproof cover and more straps to attach a roll bag of sorts.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Squid

big&little is on a distinguished road
i run motopak luggage, im very happy with the capacity, durability and price, i lived off the bike for 2 weeks this summer and they worked without a hitch. www.motopakluggage.com
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I've got a Joe Rocket Manta tail bag:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tail-Bag.aspx

And I'm probably gonna wait till next season and ****** up some of these for longer trips:

http://www.newenough.com/parts/lugga...addlebags.html
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Squid

redmanmbz is on a distinguished road
I use a 3rd Street Tank bag for most of my trips, http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Black-Magnetic-Tank-Bag. Will hold a 12 pack!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by redmanmbz
I use a 3rd Street Tank bag for most of my trips, http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Black-Magnetic-Tank-Bag. Will hold a 12 pack!

now thats what im talkin about

thanks guys these are great ideas, now for a tougher question, are there bags out there, ie the nelson rigg set or anything that still allows a passenger?? my girlfriend and i go camping a bunch and well...she may not like the no room argument
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I haven't tried with the nelson riggs stuff, but when Yruyur had Corbin Beetle bags his wife could still go with, so I don't know why these wouldn't allow that still. (he sold those some time ago)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
i think i can help out with this...with lots of experience to boot

haha i had a similar situation a couple of years ago when i was still in school...visiting all my friends and parents was an hour ride away.

i have the nelson rigg tail+saddle bag setup w/ a rapid transit magnetic tank bag.

put it this way, i was able to fit my laptop, clothes, LAUNDRY TO BE DONE (who can resist free laundry when it costs like freaking $5 a load at school?), BOOKS, and shoes and probably an extra sweatshirt (wore my jacket) all in those bags and happily ride that 1 hour in gridlock traffic.

they've held up quite well in the like 3 years or so that ive had them (dont use them THAT often, but often enough). they attach fairly quickly. not the most solid but thats to be expected since theyre soft bags. VERY expandable. very easy to remove when you dont need them. very easy to carry w/ their shoulder straps. come with removable rain covers.

other than that, theyre not toooo reflective, and theyre soft bags so they can be somewhat annoying sometimes (rarely), but thats about the only thing i can complain about. oh and its kinda hard to store them in your closet but thats pretty obvious too since theyre not flimsy and foldable.

i dont regret getting them one bit. everytime i commute or do a long ride ALWAYS extra glad that i have them.

as far as using the bags for 2 up, i think you're gonna have to fit a rack in order to put the tail bag on there. your gf could probably sit on top of the saddle bags though, as they only have a couple of straps that run across the seat.

another thing ive seen is guys moving the saddle bags to underneath the rider.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
btw this is the tank bag:

and the tail+saddles

(cl85 tail, cl950 saddles)

my bike looks more or less like that one, but probably more expanded with all the **** i bring.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I've got the rapid transit tank bag above and I love it. Strong magnet with decent padding so it doesn't mark the tank. I've got a small laptop (Dell E4300) and it fits with room for other stuff as well.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a pair of nelson rigg saddlebags that I picked up for cheap. There is a good amount of storage and they don't look too bad.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I use Cortech, but basically the same setup as the N-R link above. They will not work well if you have hi-rise mufflers.

Either should work with a passenger, but they will not be entirely comfortable because of the wide strap going across the seat. However, you could try routing it under the seat.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I started out using a Nelson Rigg MG950-K tank bag and a much larger Nelson Rigg tank bag modified to be used as a tail bag.

I then moved on to a Givi Wingrack witha Coocase trunk. I hate how the trunk puts all the cargo weight behind the rear axle, but I love being able lock up my stuff and not worry about it getting wet in a rain storm,

Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've got a setup like Inderocker's in the pre-Givi days except with Oxford Lifetime Luggage. It's been very durable and it works well. I'd like a bit more capacity than the tailpack allows so I might look at the tailbag referred to by slabm7.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
i think i can help out with this...with lots of experience to boot

haha i had a similar situation a couple of years ago when i was still in school...visiting all my friends and parents was an hour ride away.

i have the nelson rigg tail+saddle bag setup w/ a rapid transit magnetic tank bag.

put it this way, i was able to fit my laptop, clothes, LAUNDRY TO BE DONE (who can resist free laundry when it costs like freaking $5 a load at school?), BOOKS, and shoes and probably an extra sweatshirt (wore my jacket) all in those bags and happily ride that 1 hour in gridlock traffic.

they've held up quite well in the like 3 years or so that ive had them (dont use them THAT often, but often enough). they attach fairly quickly. not the most solid but thats to be expected since theyre soft bags. VERY expandable. very easy to remove when you dont need them. very easy to carry w/ their shoulder straps. come with removable rain covers.

other than that, theyre not toooo reflective, and theyre soft bags so they can be somewhat annoying sometimes (rarely), but thats about the only thing i can complain about. oh and its kinda hard to store them in your closet but thats pretty obvious too since theyre not flimsy and foldable.

i dont regret getting them one bit. everytime i commute or do a long ride ALWAYS extra glad that i have them.

as far as using the bags for 2 up, i think you're gonna have to fit a rack in order to put the tail bag on there. your gf could probably sit on top of the saddle bags though, as they only have a couple of straps that run across the seat.

another thing ive seen is guys moving the saddle bags to underneath the rider.

wow this is great, exact situation and some great info, now to wait out the LOOONNGGG mn winter and save up money for goodies for the SH, i think i will try these bags and see how it is when i route the straps under the seat so my girlfriend can still ride without sitting on straps.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by inderocker
I started out using a Nelson Rigg MG950-K tank bag and a much larger Nelson Rigg tank bag modified to be used as a tail bag.

I then moved on to a Givi Wingrack witha Coocase trunk. I hate how the trunk puts all the cargo weight behind the rear axle, but I love being able lock up my stuff and not worry about it getting wet in a rain storm,

a couple questions, does givi still make the rack???? and with the case on can you ride 2 up?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Squid

easttexhawk is on a distinguished road
bags for the SH

I made some custom mounts out of 1" zinc plated strips from Home Depot and fitted the extra large Saddlemen Sport Panniers ($98.00) from Motorcycle Superstore. They work great and hold most of my camping gear. With a little adjustment the passenger pegs would be totally doable.
Attached Thumbnails bags for the SH-img_1398.jpg   bags for the SH-img_1399.jpg   bags for the SH-img_1397.jpg   bags for the SH-img_1400.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Squid

Misipy is on a distinguished road
Almost embarrased...but, I've been using an Eclipse tank bag. Bought it in ~1979/1980...for my 1978 Z1-R Kawi...it's been cross country to the west coast/rockies a few times. Have had to send it to Eclipse once to replace the zipper and a new map pouch on top! Still using it on my SH today.
As far as bags, I've got a pair of black Honda bags I picked up along the way, that sling across the rear of seat...works nicely...and rides above the stock pipes. Just used the setup again riding to the Barber AMA race in Sept.
Only thing about the Eclipse that I'd like better is a velcro-attached map case/pouch.
Misipy
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
I got the Cortech bags from NewEnough.com. Think they were like $77.00. Also brought some large dog saddlebags from REI mainly for a day trip or around town when I need to pickup something. They're easy to strap around and under the seat tail. they're like $30.00
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bearshawk
a couple questions, does givi still make the rack???? and with the case on can you ride 2 up?
Yes they do. I got mine this summer from here.....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/812/515/

With this....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/209/562/

And this....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/211/

A little pricey but I love it. 2up is no problem. My Wife says she feels very secure and comfortable with the back rest. Worth it just to keep her happy! I use it without the topcase most of the time and really like having a rack for those unexpected beer runs. Did I say I love it?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I've got gas & luggage sorted several ways... 2 size trunks that mount over-pillion & backward, the 2 bag Ventura system and tail bags which along with mag & strap-on tank bags are most aerodynamic but also have a set of semi-soft panniers
Attached Thumbnails bags for the SH-long-range-vtr-c.jpg   bags for the SH-p0005385.jpg   bags for the SH-p0015838.jpg   bags for the SH-ba-vtr-2.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 10-27-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The givi wingrack is really the ultimate in cargo. The luggage pops on & off & is interchangeable. I can put 3 of the topcases on & literally have more cargo than a goldwing in 2 minutes, then pop them off. Easily 2 full face helmets per case. And you can carry the chick at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails bags for the SH-vtr-picscold-014.jpg   bags for the SH-vtr-picscold-008.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I've got gas & luggage sorted several ways... 2 size trunks that mount over-pillion & backward, the 2 bag Ventura system and tail bags which along with mag & strap-on tank bags are most aerodynamic but also have a set of semi-soft panniers

please tell me that is an extra gas tank strapped to your back!

that is amazing
Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
The givi wingrack is really the ultimate in cargo. The luggage pops on & off & is interchangeable. I can put 3 of the topcases on & literally have more cargo than a goldwing in 2 minutes, then pop them off. Easily 2 full face helmets per case. And you can carry the chick at the same time.

well damn that really seems like the way i have to go for ease of use, quality and storage capacity... the only downer is the high price tag
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bearshawk
please tell me that is an extra gas tank strapped to your back!

that is amazing
Yes it is but not actually functional. I was transporting it to a buddies shop where we modified it to increase the capacity to 5.2 gallons several years ago. Its my "touring" tank, I don't use it unless I'm traveling less than a 250 mile radius.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
SmokinJoe,

Could you tell us what hardware you used to mount those side cases? Givi currently says that they have no side-case mounting options for the SuperHawk.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, actually its off a cbr 600f3 I used to own. There is basicly just the wing rack (with slight variations) then a bunch of adapting mounts for different bikes. BUT if you hack the forums I have seen wingracks cheap & ANY can be easily adapted. I cut the tail section so as to draw it in closer. Now the bags you see (e21 bags=21 liters each) can be mounted & the bike stays narrower than the mirrors for lane splitting ease. If you see a wing rack (for 3 cases) or a monorack (one case) for any bike you can make it fit with a drill & some 1"x1/2" steel stock. I see them for sale constantly on the BARF forum (Bay Area Riders). This is another view at watkins glen. I cut the tail & filled it in with abs to make it look less cut.
Attached Thumbnails bags for the SH-buf07-008.jpg  

Quick Reply: bags for the SH