Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Added a GSX-R750 to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Added a GSX-R750 to the stable

Picked up a clean 2001 GSX-R750 today with 8300 mi. First impression is extremely favorable. A couple of observations after 1h40 min on the bike directly after riding the 'hawk.

Pros:
1.) It feels like it is on rails on corners...it just sits at the angle you want. My front always feels ackward on the SH (prly need to cough up the dough and get new springs for my 220lbs??)
2.) Screams above 9K yet is a baby in town. The hawk could waste this thing off the line unless I figure out how to rev the tar/slip clutch
3.) You know the thread about not being able to stoppie the SH (I can't get it unless everything is perfect)?? Well you do one automatically with this if you brake hard enough.
4.) Brakes rock
5.)NO fork dive at all! Love that...since I have too soft a front on the SH this is a treat. I believe in suspension now more than ever.
6.) Gas mileage 45 mpg today!
7.) Seat is way better for my backside than the SH

Cons:
1.) Torque is just not there...for around town I am using the hawk.
2.) More aggresive position=shoulders and back used more
3.) WIDE! I am so used to the narrow tank and fairings...I actually go cramps on the outside of my thighs from the position this puts you in
4.) Inline four screams....feel like a maniac riding it hard, where the hawk just sounds cool. I like it though just not for neighborhoods
5.) Harder for me to wheelie....not that I do that sort of thing often.

This is my opinion after back to back riding the 2. Keep in mind I have only 15,000 mi experience riding, so I'm sure more experienced riders have many more opinions.

Here is a grainy pic or 2 taken after my ride.
Name:  IMG_0208.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  91.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  91.5 KB

Glad I can keep the SH...feel like I have the best of both worlds now.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY
'dude, theyre like awesome. i've had 4 in the last 2 years. they rock. rock on. dude.' ricky ricer
See, tons of good info available
This is from another thread, but I didn't want to hijack it...

That exactly what I found for advice...it seemed like a completely different group of people..mostly smart@$$ remarks with no info or total squidish comments.

This forum rocks!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Dude, that rocks, the 750 is one I have been looking at...Now if I could just find a super clean one, at a steal of a deal, all would be well with the world....

Very nice...
Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superhawk22
DUDE my does like 220 at least dude!! Welcome aboard and enjoy I sure have enjoyed mine over the last 7 years and counting! Hey enjoy the gixxer too, I may have one before too long as well, a track ***** that is.

Very true....

I hope I can start doing track days...trying to get a group of buddies to do one this summer and see if we get hooked. It will be my track bike then.

Good luck on your search!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
That you got such a good long ride in this time of year (check out the car heater power cords in the parking lot) is great in of itself!

You might want to keep that stock muffler on it too since you all ready know you need to rev it to get to the beans. For me, high rpm IL4 power bands get old on the street in a hurry. The handling attributes of this gixxer; however, will never go away.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Dude, that rocks, the 750 is one I have been looking at...Now if I could just find a super clean one, at a steal of a deal, all would be well with the world....

Very nice...
Thanks! I am pumped. This one was pretty clean, and the 2000-2004 seem to being going for 3800-5800..which isn't terrible! Especially compared to the 07 retail of $10,XXX

Can't wait for the good weather to really push it.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Nanotech
Thanks! I am pumped. This one was pretty clean, and the 2000-2004 seem to being going for 3800-5800..which isn't terrible! Especially compared to the 07 retail of $10,XXX

Can't wait for the good weather to really push it.
I hear ya...$10K+ for a new bike, dunno, just don't seem right...lol..I would rather own 2 or 3 used bikes....
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superbling
That you got such a good long ride in this time of year (check out the car heater power cords in the parking lot) is great in of itself!

You might want to keep that stock muffler on it too since you all ready know you need to rev it to get to the beans. For me, high rpm IL4 power bands get old on the street in a hurry. The handling attributes of this gixxer; however, will never go away.

I did nearly freeze to death....we have been plugging vehicles in, and this below-freezing/below-zero weather gets old, but how can you resist a new bike

I will keep the stock muffler on for that reason...it annoys me also. Can't wait for the canyon roads to get the sand off and Daylight savings...
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
congrats !
the 750 is widely considered the best sportbike in the world, and rightly so, but the 'Hawk rules the street, eh ?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Back Marker

I hear ya...$10K+ for a new bike, dunno, just don't seem right...lol..I would rather own 2 or 3 used bikes....
Bought the first one new and am regretting it...lost so much money(If I were to sell it) on it...I'm forever going used now. 35% of the cost and all the fun.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Nanotech
Bought the first one new and am regretting it...lost so much money(If I were to sell it) on it...I'm forever going used now. 35% of the cost and all the fun.
Friend of mine is getting a dealers lic, so I can't wait to go to auction with him and see what kind of treasures I come home with...
Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY
congrats !
the 750 is widely considered the best sportbike in the world, and rightly so, but the 'Hawk rules the street, eh ?
It def. rules the street! No comparison...

But all the reviews say the 750 is the ultimate like you said, so I'm excited to find out everything. Love it so far though....So different from the SH. The handling and everything is an improvement for me!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Back Marker

Friend of mine is getting a dealers lic, so I can't wait to go to auction with him and see what kind of treasures I come home with...
That is awesome....I've heard of bikes going for a thousand or 2 under trade-in at those auctions. Wish I had someone like that...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Keep your eyes peeled for shippers too, KC996! They can't be far behind and that would make or break a lot of deals. You don't get to see the stock before or much before the auction do you? After you get things checked out a bit post up about what it's like. I would be interested in rolling high mileage parts bikes to vintage bikes in excellent condition.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the purchase!

I had a '99 GSXR750 to use as a trackday tool, with the Superhawk for my street-ride. The Superhawk was fun because it felt so unique in a field of cookie-cutter i4's. With the Gix, I felt lost in the crowd.

I will say that upgrading the suspension on the GSXR was the BEST money I had ever spent (upgrade/accessory for a bike).
Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
Congrats on the purchase!

I had a '99 GSXR750 to use as a trackday tool, with the Superhawk for my street-ride. The Superhawk was fun because it felt so unique in a field of cookie-cutter i4's. With the Gix, I felt lost in the crowd.

I will say that upgrading the suspension on the GSXR was the BEST money I had ever spent (upgrade/accessory for a bike).
So far it feels like the GSXR has a better suspension than the Superhawk...if I start doing track days I might upgrade. Perfect so far though!

As far as the cookie cutter things I agree....glad at least mine is the red/silver combo which is more unique.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Congrats, wise choice...