Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

10 months later...back on track

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Firestorm996 is on a distinguished road
Smile 10 months later...back on track

Yeah, picked up my repaired SHAWK last friday and took it for a ride, what a awesome feeling to be back.
Here is what happened last year, September 1st.

Here in Spain we have these speed bumps in the streets, within the city limits. I was going over one of them and then i have no clear memory about what happened.
I turned out that a 73 yr old danish resident ran me over with his car from behind with like 55mph.
When the ambulance responded just a couple of minutes later, they had to reanimate me, because my tongue was in my throat, i could not breathe and was blue already. Waking up in the hospital 3 days later, i was told that i suffered a dislocated shoulder, 4 broken ribs, a broken tibia and worst 2 fractured bones in my spine. The docs said a few weeks later, they have no idea why i can still move my legs, its like a miracle.
After rehabilitation for 8 months, i did the first ride last weekend and noone can believe how i feel now.

Having all the facts of this accident, i see 3 reasons why i was that lucky.
- Wearing a top quality helmet.
I had the Schuberth R1. It saved my life when my rear head hit the top of the windshield, cracked the screen and left a huge dent in the lid of the roof. The helmet itself was heavy damaged, but still managed to save my head.
- I had this rucksack on my back, with a built in protection and it was pretty full, because i was just driving home from shopping. This might have been the little difference between walking and sitting in a wheelchair.
- A huge amount of luck.
This accident changed many things in my life, some of my views and i am aware i am in my second life by now.

Attached are some fotos, this is how my bike looks by now. I added more Carbon Fiber, did some upgrades, but of course like many other members ride it is a work in progress...lol
Here is the list.

Front fork with full Oehlins internals
Coerce Fork Stabilizer
Coerce Clipons
Factory Pro shift kit
CF Front Fender by Carbotech
CF protection for clutch and rotor covers by Carbonadi
CF seat, oem style by Mario Nava
Replaced broken/bent subframe
Clutch upgrade, stronger springs, kevlar plates
Swingarm and linkage upgrade with new needle bearings
Fresco Racing CF mufflers with CF end caps, tubing with larger ID
Carbs setup accordingly
10mm extension under kickstand, to prevent it from leaning too much

Still to come:
CF full fairing by Mario Nava
CF R1 seat conversion w/ passenger option
CF gas tank
CF frame protectors
Exhaust full system by Fresco Racing

And last but not least, i want to say thank you to MICKSTR for keeping in touch with me over all that time. Thank you my friend.
Attached Thumbnails 10 months later...back on track-image_074.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_077.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_078.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_081.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_083.jpg  

Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

some pics more....
Attached Thumbnails 10 months later...back on track-image_085.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_089.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_087.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_092.jpg   10 months later...back on track-image_096.jpg  

Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
glad to hear your back, and doing alright. thats a pretty sweet lookin ride you got there.
where did you get your carbon bits at.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Thank you.
The carbon parts are all made in europe...
front fender Carbotech, Austria
seat Mario Nava, Italy
side covers Carbonadi, Germany
tank shield Motrax, UK
exhaust Fresco Racing, Italy
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
All I can say is "WOW"! I'm glad you survived and are back in the saddle. Your bike looks great. I love the exhaust.

I too was rear ended with no warning 3 1/2 months ago at a red light. 19 year old distracted driver in my case. However, I got right up after landing on my back with no broken bones. I got my bike back 2 months later with an upgrade to Yoshimura Titanium Slip-ons.

Good thing you had full gear and a backpack full of groceries. I'm sure the rehab was not fun. I don't know how your insurance works there in Spain, but I hope you got a good settlement for pain and suffering. 10 months is a long time.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Great looking VTR. Love the exhaust and the lower fairing/belly pan. Love even more that you are doing well after such a severe accident and are back into riding.

Also, I'm proud that a forum member kept up with you while you were injured.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are back on 2 wheels... Nice work rebuilding and customizing!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Wow, what a story...I'm very glad you survived a 55 mph run-down. You've got a great bike to rehab on; best of luck in the future.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Thank you guys.
As you all can imagine thats only a very small part of the whole story, i could write a book about it...
The driver of the car lied and told the police i was changing the lane right in front of him, thanks god a following driver saw what happened, stopped and waited for the police to tell the truth, saying he saw the other driver talking on a cellphone while driving and the guy later admitted it.
The following 4 months were the hardest time in my entire life, as i am living by myself and had noone to support me, i could not walk, not move much. But i managed....

Anyway i am happy to be back and to meet awesome fellow bikers here in this amazing forum.
Regards from Spain
Peter
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow. I hadn't heard of your accident.
I'm very glad to hear you have made a good recovery and are back in the saddle!
Major events like that have a way of changing your perspective.

Stay positive and enjoy it!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

It's hard to believe that people can lie about something like that, and such a bold lie. But hats off to the person who stuck around to help you out. Thankfully there are still responsible people out there.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

If the other guy dont stop and wait i had a huge problem proving what happened, with a uncertain ending.
Today you can see the guy using a bus or walking, police directly took his license.
The trial is still pending, but this can still take a while, remember i live in manana-country, hehe.
BTW i never heared from him...no sorry, no nothing.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
Wow. What a great ending! Glad you made it through ok, and nice looking Firestorm!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

This is not the end yet.....
Picked up the final medical report from the forensic medic at the court yesterday. According to that report it looks like i had just a few scratches and i was at full health after 90 days already. Thats how it goes in Spain.....
The problem is, this report is the basis for the insurances calculation of my compensation. So ok, i have to go to court and go the hard way again....
Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Squid

dwhite is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about the accident. May the lord watch over you and all motorcycle riders while out on the road!!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Firestorm996
This is not the end yet.....
Picked up the final medical report from the forensic medic at the court yesterday. According to that report it looks like i had just a few scratches and i was at full health after 90 days already. Thats how it goes in Spain.....
The problem is, this report is the basis for the insurances calculation of my compensation. So ok, i have to go to court and go the hard way again....
I feel your pain...When I got the police report after getting rear ended and ejected off the back of my VTR at a red light by a Toyota pick-up truck in March, I was not listed as being injured. But the 19 year old who hit me was listed as injured and transported to the hospital.

Wait...I was the one that got the ambulance ride!!!

It's not much better here in the USA than it is in Spain, nobody gets anything right.

BUT WAIT, YOU GUYS JUST WON THE WORLD CUP...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!