Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

please verify my chain selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

turbotim is on a distinguished road
please verify my chain selection

I don't want to be one of the guys that finds a good deal and ends up wrecking and/or tearing things up. I found a RK520XSO-102 link for $82. It is an X-ring style with the rivet type master link. This will be for a stock geared bike. I know some brands are junk. Is this one? Lets hear the experiences/opinions please. Thanks, Tim
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
If you have the stock sprockets? that chain is the wrong size.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Please don't put a 520 chain and sprockets on your bike (the bike stock has 530) I have 520 chain and sprockets on my race bike, but NEVER would I consider putting them on a bike with the power and torque the VTR has. I wouldn't even put a 520 chain on a 750 or a newer 600.

My street yzf600r ate an RK 520 chain and sprocket kit in 4000 miles (back in 05).. and when I say ate, the chain broke 5 teeth off the alum. rear sprocket and the chain snapped leaving a redlight hard.. on a 600 that was designed in 94.

They look like a great deal at first, weight savings, cheaper, but in the long run a good 530 chain you pay $20 or $30 more for will last 4-6 times longer than that 520 will put up with.

For the record I was VERY hard on that chain and sprocket set but I did regularly check tension and the teeth of the sprockets (and clean and lube every ride), I was also a year round rider in NY and I think the heat/cold cycles (it was winter time when it gave way) took their toll on the sprocket as well. There was no obvious indication that the sprocket was about to let go.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
I agree. Only use a 530 chain/sprocket set.

The OEM set up on my Bandit 1250S is an RK 530 and its still going strong at 36,000km so there's nothing wrong with RK. DID is another good brand too.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Nothing wrong with a high quality 520 on the vtr, but stay away from aluminum sprockets if you have any intention of getting high miles out of the setup. I had a 520 setup on my previous superhawk that saw double duty as a track and street bike for years. Just my .02
Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

So, how is this one? RKM-530XSOZ1-108

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
So, how is this one? RKM-530XSOZ1-108
That chain has 108 links. you'll need to remove the surplus ones.

SPECIFIED LINKS: 102 links
REPLACEMENT CHAIN: DID 50ZVM
RK50LFOZ2

or a 530 x-ring chain. And worthwhile to change at the same time both sprockets.

Last edited by Wicky; 01-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
And worthwhile to change at the same time both sprockets.
I agree with this, worn sprockets can reduce the life of a new chain because of the added wear from the slop generated between the teeth of the sprockets as they wear down, while this effect may be minimal its still worthwhile to replace everything to me as the chain is the most expensive part of the shebang
Old 01-14-2014, 07:35 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRDarren
Nothing wrong with a high quality 520 on the vtr, but stay away from aluminum sprockets if you have any intention of getting high miles out of the setup. I had a 520 setup on my previous superhawk that saw double duty as a track and street bike for years. Just my .02
This. A top of the line 520 chain will last a long time on the VTR.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I would replace the sprockets regardless of what chain size. And no aluminum sprockets.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Shop around you can usually find package deals for chain and two sprockets. I got the supersprox aluminum/steel rear sprocket, good balance between the two materials.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

I'm not familiar with the x-ring chains. I'm guessing there won't be an issue with removing links on an x-ring chain. Summit didn't have an option for a 102 link chain. Only reason for buying from Summit is because I have gift cards for there. I'm getting steel sprockets because I don't care about performance, just reliability. I'd like to go another 30k without changing again. I searched posts on changing the chain with out splitting it. Seems like it shouldn't be too bad. For a tool that may only get used once or twice, I can't see spending the money for the rivet tool. This will be my first time changing a chain/sprockets on a street bike so I might be posting again here with stupid questions. Thanks, Tim

Hey 98, you going to Timonium this year? It's been a while man. After the chain/sprocket replacement, we need to get another ride together.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by turbotim
I searched posts on changing the chain with out splitting it. Seems like it shouldn't be too bad. For a tool that may only get used once or twice, I can't see spending the money for the rivet tool. This will be my first time changing a chain/sprockets on a street bike so I might be posting again here with stupid questions. Thanks, Tim

Hey 98, you going to Timonium this year? It's been a while man. After the chain/sprocket replacement, we need to get another ride together.
How do you plan to get the original chain off? Hack saw, grinder? Both work fine but you'll also need the chain tool to press/flare the rivet style master link unless you planned on using a clip-style master link.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRDarren
How do you plan to get the original chain off? Hack saw, grinder? Both work fine but you'll also need the chain tool to press/flare the rivet style master link unless you planned on using a clip-style master link.
Many of the seasoned motorcycle mechanics I know use pliers and a punch to flare the the pin.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
The chain on this bike can be removed/installed without cutting it. It slides over the swingarm. So you can even take a new chain to a shop and have them rivet the 102 link length together and bring it back to your bike.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
To take off the old endless chain you can simply take remove the rear wheel and take off the footpeg hanger attached by the swing arm nut then the chain will come off due to the VTR's semi-pivotless frame design.

Installing a new endless chain is the reverse, and remember to retorque the swingarm nut up to spec.

You can take the 108 link chain to a workshop and ask them to take off the surplus links and rivet it all up for you (not in a mobius loop!). As this all has to reliably handle transferring 100 odd horsies from the engine to the rear wheel if you don't feel confident in any of this take it to a shop to have it done.

However with care, a few basic tools and following the manual it can be done. www.vtr1000.org • View topic - VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by killer5280
Many of the seasoned motorcycle mechanics I know use pliers and a punch to flare the the pin.
Originally Posted by 7moore7
The chain on this bike can be removed/installed without cutting it. It slides over the swingarm. So you can even take a new chain to a shop and have them rivet the 102 link length together and bring it back to your bike.
Originally Posted by Wicky
To take off the old endless chain you can simply take remove the rear wheel and take off the footpeg hanger attached by the swing arm nut then the chain will come off due to the VTR's semi-pivotless frame design.

Installing a new endless chain is the reverse, and remember to retorque the swingarm nut up to spec.

You can take the 108 link chain to a workshop and ask them to take off the surplus links and rivet it all up for you (not in a mobius loop!). As this all has to reliably handle transferring 100 odd horsies from the engine to the rear wheel if you don't feel confident in any of this take it to a shop to have it done.

However with care, a few basic tools and following the manual it can be done. www.vtr1000.org • View topic - VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF
I guess I just like collecting tools for new situations. I've used my chain tool a bunch and often help friends out who need it as well. The above suggestions are one the great reasons to be part of bike specific forums, great options!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7

That was my plan. Already did my homework on that. I mentioned this to the mechanic at the local dealer and he looked at me like . Pretty bad when the knowledge on a forum is more reliable than the dealer that sold it. Thanks again guys. Sounds like the last chain I listed is good since I haven't heard anything bad yet. First time I'm going at my bike with tools in 3 years of owning it (minus the chin fairing to change oil). Not bad. Thanks, Tim
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I run an RK x-ring. The x isn't any different from a standard o as far as your bike is concerned. Don't hesitate to buy one. I found a pic showing the difference:
Name:  IMGP8879.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Whatever you do use a rivet link, not a split.

I lost a chain once due to a mechanic splitting my chain and fitting a split link when he put a new back tyre on my Z1R MKII a long time ago.

From that day on I have never used a split link and only ever let someone touch my bike when it gets new tyres.

Even then I just take the wheels in, no one touches my chain except me!!!

Just my 2c worth, but when the chain let go it scared the you know what out of me and made a mess out of the crankcase as well.

A very expensive excersise that the bike shop concerned wouldn't admit to.

These guys lost the sale of 7 bikes through that and are now closed as they went broke.

As far as chains and sprockets are concerned do it once and do it right.

I am not far off converting to a 520 set up and the sprockets will be steel.