Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Squid

viperslayer09 is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank

Is there any other make and model along with year in which a fuel tank would be compatible with the superhawk? I need one desperately, and even a used one for this bike is expensive. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Another forum member, Kai Ju, used a tank from a 5th gen VFR.
IIRC, that would be model years '98-'01.

It wasn't a direct bolt-on, but it wasn't major surgery either.

Shouldn't be too hard to find his posts about it with a search.

Rex
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I think the SH's airbox makes it a B*tch to use a VFR tank.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Crashrat
I think the SH's airbox makes it a B*tch to use a VFR tank.
Is that statement based on experience or hearsay ?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Stock tanks aren't so bad expense wise. This one is expensive:

http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/VTR.HTML

Here's a cheaper one. Surprised it is not more since it's the faster color red:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by RWhisen; 08-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
SuperSport

Hearsay.

Did I insinuate it was something else? Wasn't it you who wrote that you had to beat the hell out of the VFR tank to get it to work?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
SuperSport

FWIW:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...r+tank+air+box
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Hearsay.

Did I insinuate it was something else? Wasn't it you who wrote that you had to beat the hell out of the VFR tank to get it to work?
No, but it sounded discouraging. ( I'm not out out to pick a fight, btw )
To make the 98-02 tank fit you have to contour ( read dent ) the tank near the front on both sides, about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch at most.
To avoid a big gap between the frame and the tank cut the airbox lid where the fuel level sender is located but make sure you plug the hole with something flexible to prevent water from getting in.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 AM
SuperSport

Sorry if I was pissy. This is just like the 4th post this month where I've tried to accurately pass along what I've READ and been made to feel weird about it. I was just trying to contribute -- not all of us have the skill, time or money to do these mods IRL, but it's always nice to feel like you're helping the community in some way.

As far as being discouraging... After reading all the threads I could find about the conversion I WAS discouraged. I think Viperslayer was having an issue with his fuel pump (or something -- it's too early to remember details)(though I could be wrong) and it's probably easier to get that sorted than convert to the VFR tank.

It's up to him, of course, but I think it's accurate to say it's not a bolt-on and requires creative denting.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I was pissy. This is just like the 4th post this month where I've tried to accurately pass along what I've READ and been made to feel weird about it. I was just trying to contribute -- not all of us have the skill, time or money to do these mods IRL, but it's always nice to feel like you're helping the community in some way.

As far as being discouraging... After reading all the threads I could find about the conversion I WAS discouraged. I think Viperslayer was having an issue with his fuel pump (or something -- it's too early to remember details)(though I could be wrong) and it's probably easier to get that sorted than convert to the VFR tank.

It's up to him, of course, but I think it's accurate to say it's not a bolt-on and requires creative denting.
Well... I for one like the fact that you try to contribute, which you do, don't ever feel different... And I like discussing... (Anyone ever hear that before?!) And even though I'm not trying to pick a fight either, I have to make an observation here...

You might not have the skills, (I think you do, but that's your decision) but you keep portraying things in the bleakest possibly way... And with one sentance like you did here, that leaves a very discouraging impression... Try giving the information without the emotion and the discussion afterwards will probably be less wierd...

mdbuehler made the VFR tank fit without denting it... He cut the airbox lid and sealed it to the tank using that as an airbox instead... Then all the fabrication needed is a metal plate with a few holes for the rear mount, and a plate covering the pump hole... That's more than possible to do with a decent set of handtools...

BTW, I doubt Viperslayer was having issues with the fuelpump, since the VTR doesn't have one... Petcock perhaps?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 AM
MotoGP

BTW to me, opening up an engine to port and flow the heads is "normal", and others like kai ju are also in that category, and I fully understand that it's not normal to all... But there has to be some middle ground between that and leaving the bike at the shop for service? Right?

And every tinkerer starts somewhere... Swapping on a VFR tank is one of the easier things to start with...
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 AM
SuperSport

Like I say -- very early. If you take the time to read his posts, you’ll see he had another issue, Tweety. It might even be the thread above this one.

See, I thought I was at least four steps beyond "use the f*king search" which is what 90% of the people here get. My response didn’t imply that this dude shouldn’t do the transplant and absolutely nothing I said was inaccurate.

If this were an easy mod, more people would have done it since it's probably the fourth most frequently asked question. Can you do it? Certainly. Should you do it? That’s really up to you. What do you need to do it? You need to cut the bottom out, dent up the tank, or fabricate something from scratch.

I’m pretty much done. Use the f*cking search. That’s what I have done and I guess that that’s the only answer that’s applicable. That or wait for the one or two senior members who have done every mod to log in. That will certainly quiet the forum down a bit, but hell, I don’t want to accidently discourage anyone.

Signing out.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 AM
SuperBike

Geeez Crash, are you off your depression medicine?

Tweets gave you a compliment and you refuse to accept it. Chillax and enjoy.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 AM
MotoGP

*Sigh*... Ok... I didn't want a fight... It tried making that clear, I also tried making it clear I enjoyed discussing stuff... With you and others... But if you wan't to pick a fight fine by me...

Well... No, you didn't say anything that wasn't accurate... You just left out anything but your negative comment... That's not the same as as lying, but it's one a hell of a step away from "telling the truth" in a wider sense...

The reason 90% of the people get the "use the search" reply is that they act like baby birds... "feed me, feed me"... Ie instead of doing a minimal amount of research on their own and asking follow up questions that we all gladly answer, they ask the same inane questions over and over, in thread after thread... To some point I felt you where different, but I could have been wrong... My bad... I'll give you the standard reply next time since you seem to prefer that...

As for the VFR tank mod... I just informed you that it could be done without modifying the tank... You choose to ignore that... I'll try again... Leave the tank alone, no cutting or denting... Take a piece of metal, bend it in an "L" and drill 4 holes for bolts... Plug the hole for the fuelpump... Cut the rear part of the airbox and bolt it up... All of which can be done using the tools most have on their toolbox already...

If you consider the two metal pieces "fabricating something from scratch", and to complicated too do... Well... Then I guess you are the type of person that leaves to bike at the dealership for oilchanges? And by defenition you should then keep out of any thread that involves any modifications...

Now get your head out of your *** and act like an adult, or I'm certainly done with interacting with you...
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 AM
SuperBike

Attack of Tweety!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
If Crashrat had his head up his ***, he wouldn't have been able to sit at and use the keyboard comfortably nor express himself as well as he did. That he and Tweety failed to share the same level of optimism about using a VFR tank diminishes neither of them. It's not something that should lead to any acrimony. This forum is supposed to be fun. One of its strengths is the level of respect usually shown by one contributor to another.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by comedo
If Crashrat had his head up his ***, he wouldn't have been able to sit at and use the keyboard comfortably nor express himself as well as he did. That he and Tweety failed to share the same level of optimism about using a VFR tank diminishes neither of them. It's not something that should lead to any acrimony. This forum is supposed to be fun. One of its strengths is the level of respect usually shown by one contributor to another.
Agreed about the respect... Not on the rest... I think we both went a bit overboard... His last post pissed me off, but I probably overreacted a bit... I still think the main point of what I said is correct, but the delivery might have been a bit harsh...

So, Crashrat... Sorry about my part... Let's agree to disagree and keep discussing... Friends?

Last edited by Tweety; 08-17-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

Ah, but I had an entire post written in a background window

Seriously though: I’m going to give the forum a break. Things go from too quiet here to too hostile in too few steps. Maybe it’s me, but it just feels a lot nastier than it did a year ago, when I joined.

I’m an old guy now and I have better things to do with my time.

So ride carefully and have fun. I’ll be back to sell stuff.

Randy
Old 08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
LOL. You guys are awesome. Nice to see we can reel it in a bit when it comes down to it! Meanwhile, where did that OP run off to?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
and here I thought I was going to have to come up with something strage to post up about to get things stirred up around here a bit.......lol
Old 08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Screw you guys, I'm going home. But really, get along. Sounds like crash is under some stress, understandable. And tweety is in a declining sunlight atmosphere, and probably needs his vitamin D. Get over it you two. I think about the forum almost daily, as I realize how great this forum is when searching others for information. If you, or anyone else, think that its nasty or worthless here, go look at other forums. We have an amazing collective knowledge that is well shared. We have many group rides and gatherings. And we have one of the most connected worldwide groups of people that I imagine would make for a great gathering. Go find that at your atv forum, polaris, triumph, etc. You cant even get a solid result on a topic. I have searched for fixes to problems that no one would know unless they had the problem on certain bikes. When I find threads on those problems, they all end the same way. Same suggestions, and no reply by the OP as to what the result was. There is not one problem that exists with the vtr that doesn't have an answer that someone here is willing to give. Take that for what its worth.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Squid

viperslayer09 is on a distinguished road
I actually wasn't having any issue with anything fuel related other than the fuel tank. I need to find a new one, and I was looking to see if anyone new of any other model Honda in which the fuel tank would be an easy swap and would fit the superhawk layout. I was looking at the RVT and thinking that it could work, but don't know. I snapped a bolt on the underside of my fuel tank, and now cannot get a good seal around the sending unit. The one that was shown on craigslist would be great, but need to get the dents out.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Have you tried to get the remains of the broken bolt out?
Might be a better alternative to getting another tank.

Rex
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I think it is a welded stud.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 AM
MotoGP

If I remember correctly, the bolts for the tank sensor are indeed welded studs, ie no swapping...