Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

Ride to Starved Rock

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Ride to Starved Rock

On sunday it was almost 70 and sunny. so I went on a ride with about 30 other riders out to starved rock for brunch. we stopped at the giant windmills that are nearby. we had one harley rider in our group and he went down on the way to the windmills. luckily, he was unhurt and the bike only had minor damage. you can see it in some of the pics. its a black roadking I think. anyway, about a mile away from starved rock, we had another rider go down. this time the bike was wedged under a guardrail, and the rider (although he didn't know it right away) was hurt. he hopped on the back of another bike and we continued to starved rock. when we got to the parking lot, his leg had swelled up and he was going into shock so we called ems and waited till they took him away. we had been in the parking lot for over an hour by this point. the brunch was over, and people were leaving in small groups. then another rider's bike wouldn't start. an older honda st1100 I think. he fried a relay. but they managed to bypass it somehow. the ride could have been better, and I didn't eat all day, but the pics I got of the windmills are pretty cool. you can see my hawk in some of the pics. its the only one there. enjoy

the meet spot

refueling stop.

windmills

Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Livin it up!
Squid

BMiller is on a distinguished road
Kinda puts you in perspective, those windmills looks so small from the distance
Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com

Frequent crashes are why I don't like big group rides, too many unknown riders & squids.

This is another Chicago forum

http://www.chicagoriders.com

I MUCH prefer riding in small groups (maximum of 5) with pilots I know...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
SuperSport

I'm a member of CR. I'd never ridden with the CSR before. and when I told the guys on CR about the ride, they weren't surprised at all that we had a few crashes. but the CR ride I did to starved rock had one guy go down too so...?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Those are some big windmills. In Palm springs there are windmills just like those stacked just about as close together as will fit. Windmill forests if you will. Good pics, like the write up.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
I'm a member of CR. I'd never ridden with the CSR before. and when I told the guys on CR about the ride, they weren't surprised at all that we had a few crashes. but the CR ride I did to starved rock had one guy go down too so...?
U missed the point. Regardless of what group U ride with, the more pilots the more chance someone will go down...
Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 AM
SuperSport

actually I didn't miss the point. I agree. the more riders, the better the chance someone is going to dump it. I was only commenting on the fact that not only had I heard of CR, I was a member. and other members had mentioned that regardless of the number, CSR rides tend to have casualties. which is ironic since the CR ride I went on had one guy go down too, thereby confirming you point that it doesn't matter who you ride with.