Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

First track day coming up Aug 8th - Summit Pt. WV

Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
First track day coming up Aug 8th - Summit Pt. WV

This looks like a good idea for people like me who want to go to their first track day, check it out.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1848036330.html
Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
If I hadn't just got back from my first track day, I'd be interested.

I did Reg Pridmore's CLASS school at VIR on July 8th. I rode my bike from DC down there the day before in 100 degree weather (in leathers). Then did 200 miles on the track (in over 100 degree weather), then rode back the next morning. Over 1000 total miles all in full leathers. I lost 6pds of water weight.

For someone who's never done a track day, I'd highly recommend the CLASS school. They aren't as "racey" as most track days, but you can still go fast if you want to. There were zero crashes on the day I was there (which means no annoying red or yellow flags, and very few annoying riders). I hear that's pretty rare at a typical track day.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
For someone who's never done a track day, I'd highly recommend the CLASS school. They aren't as "racey" as most track days, but you can still go fast if you want to. There were zero crashes on the day I was there (which means no annoying red or yellow flags, and very few annoying riders). I hear that's pretty rare at a typical track day.

Depends, the more structured and controlled schools (Class, Jason Pridmore, California Superbike, etc) focus on learning skills and behaviors, and slowly ramp up the pace as the day goes on. The true track day providers (Sportbike Track Time, Track Addicts, DOCC, etc) typically will have some novice training, but the track is hot for the intermediate and expert groups from the first lap in the morning. "Track marshalls" will circulate looking for reckless behavior, but stuff still happens too often.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Roger Lyle/Motorcycle Excitement track days are run VERY loosely. Its not for me but it may be for you. Just depends on if you feel more comfortable with rules being enforced or people doing whatever the hell they what at triple digit speeds.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Street Fighter
Squid

Denverhawk is on a distinguished road
I did my first "lapping day" at High Plains Raceway CO. Fast and loose was the theme of the day as far as I could tell and it worked for me! Disneyland for grown-ups. I'm sure my pace will improve with a class, which I will take, but for a first day, it fit my learning style. There were a few guys obviously too fast for the slow group but otherwise I appreciated the minimally intrusive staff. I went to the track to go as fast as me and my set-up could, and I feel like I did. Have fun!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great deal, and they are right about the hidden costs of doing track days. It sounds like a pretty good package to me. Take extra water with you. You should go through about 12 bottles of water during the day to stay hydrated. I trust they'll have something for shade? Getting out of the sun is a big plus. Also seating. What about tools for mid-day repairs or tweaking? Bring extra snacks for an energy boost between sessions too.

What else guys? What other basics am I missing?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Sounds like a great deal, and they are right about the hidden costs of doing track days. It sounds like a pretty good package to me. Take extra water with you. You should go through about 12 bottles of water during the day to stay hydrated. I trust they'll have something for shade? Getting out of the sun is a big plus. Also seating. What about tools for mid-day repairs or tweaking? Bring extra snacks for an energy boost between sessions too.

What else guys? What other basics am I missing?
Extra water is a good idea, they say there will be a tent to hang out under for shade, and drinks there, hopefully not just sodas. I'm sure they will have tools for any mid day adjustments.

I really like that I can go down the night before, and they have a pre-track inspection and teach you how to prep your bike, so there is no hassle at the track during inspections. Good thing for someone who's never been.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Race gas..........
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I wish I had more water and ice especially. I found all the ice I could, stuffed it in zip-lock bags, and threw it down my leathers.

And the hidden costs are no joke, especially for your first time with a 12 year old bike. I replaced CCTs (just in case), new tires, I bought leathers (although you can rent, but I found a good deal), boots (I usually commute in Army boots, but not good enough for the track), sliders, and brake pads. So now I'm broke.

And besides the "siting" lap at the beginning, you can go as fast as you want right off the bat at CLASS schools, although there are some rules (like no passing on the inside). There are instructors out on the track, but they only "instruct" you if you want it or are obviously jacked up. The classroom time is only while the other groups are on the track. I was in the intermediate group and the beginner group (I ran both), so I was on the track for 40 minutes out of each hour. I actually liked riding in the beginner group more, just because I didn't have to worry about people trying to pass me, and it's fun passing other people.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Squid

Gilson is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by evines
I actually liked riding in the beginner group more, just because I didn't have to worry about people trying to pass me, and it's fun passing other people.
But think how much more satisfying it is if you pass people in the inters! I was behind a guy that was more interested in me behind him rather than looking where he was going. He panicked and crashed. Don't worry about anyone behind you is good advice....
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM
SuperSport

Well I just called the shop and because they couldn't get enough people they're not having the "No Hassle Track Day" Aug 8th. They said they will try to do the next one in the beginning of Sept.

I would still like to go to the track day Aug 8th, if anyone else is interested let me know maybe we can go together and work out truck/trailer options. I do have a Ford F250 I can use, and possibly a trailer, if it has tags on it...
Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i may be going to Main course on the 9th