General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

You never know when you'll go down...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
You never know when you'll go down...

You never know when it'll happen. I went to work at 6am this morning, and up comes 10am for my 1 hour break. Sun is out, it warmed up a LITTLE BIT from 17 degrees to 28...lol.

Usually I walk to McDonalds or Chick-Fil-A. I decided since it was 30 degrees and windy, I would take the bike to Mickey D's.

So I gear up and take the bike from Gap to the intersection where I turn into Mickey D's. It's a typical 4 way stop. It comes my turn to go and I go like usual to take my left turn. Suddenly, like in slow motion at about 10mph, the bike slides out from under me and spins 180 degrees. I slide about 10 feet while I watch people at the intersection watch me eat crap. I slide like on my hip with my hand and elbow on the ground.

I'm in the middle of the intersection, and I absorb what happens, do a body check and before I can even get up, I see the car that's in the straight lane, goes slowly AROUND ME!!! I stand up, and go pick up the bike and there's light rash on the left side, scratching my pretty Watsen Design turn-signals. There's really light scratching on the case cover, but there's small rash on the plastics and light sanding of the clutch lever. Thankfully, the passenger pegs were on and it only scraped the pegs, and not my Jardines. The high rise pipe however, got a little scraped. The only thing that was outta wack was the shifter was bent up, I pressed it back down and it works fine. The shifter rod has a VERY slight warp, but I rode it the whole way back to work and home without issue. Eventful lunch break, lol.

I make it back to work and notice my left knee is hurting (the knee that tapped the ground), and my right ankle. I look and have a strawberry on it. Not from asphalt, but from my pants giving me a "rugburn" I guess my right ankle banged up on the peg or passenger peg when I went down(upside leg), cause it's sore...

And to think, Mickey D's is only a block away and I was thinking of just wearing my helmet and regular clothing jacket. I thought "anything can happen" so I decided to fully gear up. Funny thing too was, that just before I came to the stop before I went down, I checked to make sure my helmet was fully buckled and not just "on"....my gear is all fine (A-Stars Jacket and gloves), and my helmet never touched the ground.

Just goes to show, even if going one block...you never know when you can go down, either by somebody else or just whatever. Even Dunlop D209GP track tires need a gracious warm up to take a slow corner, lol.

Pics of the bike a couple months ago (pre track rubber and mirrors removed)

With the Brutale:

Solo about 3 years ago(nothing has changed other than debadged and mirrors removed):

Camera is broken atm, so I have no pics of the damages...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
First of all, sorry for the fall. Cold tires+cold pavement=no traction.

Second of all, why would you ride a bike no matter what time of year one block?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Back Marker

hawkman996 is on a distinguished road
sorry about your luck. I see and hear the stories like this almost everyday at the shop I work at. Since I've been working there 3 employees have gone down hard. Thats why even in the 100 degree heat here in FL I always wear my gear.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your fall.
I went down the other day as well.
Pulling into a gas station and my front tire hit a patch of oil while i was pulling up to the pump and I went right over. Everything on my bike was fine except for a crack around the screw holding the bodywork to the frame.

...But it was the same type of situation where I usually walk to go get lunch at a little deli...but I decided to go eat farther away and use the bike. Winter brings bad luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

oicdn
Originally Posted by superbling
First of all, sorry for the fall. Cold tires+cold pavement=no traction.

Second of all, why would you ride a bike no matter what time of year one block?
In a literal sense, it was about 3 or 4 blocks. But it was 20ish degrees outside and WINDY...windchill made it pretty horrible to walk, so I wanted to get there and back as soon as possible. Not to mention make the most of my lunch by not walking everywhere...

Sucky....
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
A week ago my dumb *** decided to try & check the oil WHILE ON THE BIKE in the garage. Lost the balance point... like an idiot... & she tips back over to the left. Brilliant!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:18 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
In 1988 two friends and I were riding up to the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound, Ont. It was a hot, beautiful day. My friends decided to take off their jackets and ride in their T-shirts. I kept my leather jacket on. Some crazy guy on a Velocette passed me. I was riding an SR500E Yamaha single and due to my testosterone levels at the time I couldn't tolerate something designed in the 50's scooting by me. I gassed it, went over some grooved and rippled asphalt and went into a nasty wobble. After several brave attempts to remedy the situation, I became intimate with the pavement. My leather jacket tore a bit, my jeans wore through at the knees, my boots were scuffed and a seam of one of my gloves split. My helmet was undamaged. Everything covered by leather was OK. Parts covered with denim weren't. It was a learning experience. All the gear, all the time.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude sorry to hear about the incident! That Sucks

As "bling" mentioned Cold tires+cold pavement=no traction

This is why I wont ride when the temp is less than 32 degrees F
Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Oicdn, is the MV Agusta Brutale 750 your? beautiful machine, what is sound like? and how is the handling?