General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

a worthy hawk replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
a worthy hawk replacement?

Well, I guess looking back it was sort of inevitable...I was riding over my head with some much more experienced folks on quicker bikes, and I ended up crashing my hawk.

Fear not, it is fixable, but I had to look around for a replacement in the meantime...I know I wanted a v-twin, but I wanted something with a little racing heritage and fuel injected, etc...

I found it!

Got a pretty decent deal on a 2002 Aprilia RSV Mille, and I must say I am quite happy with it....it isn't quite as comfortable as the hawk, but it has suspension that is quite on the soft side for a "superbike", and fuel injection, and is still a ~1000cc v-twin, with a little more power than the hawk too at ~130hp.

I plan to fix up my SH and give it to my dad, who has helped me out tons of times with all my vehicles and issues, and who is currently riding some sort of "sport touring" HD bike. I know once he puts a leg over the hawk he will fall in love with it like I did...and unlike me, he will ride it responsibly and within his limits.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, sad that you crashed it... But my asessment is that it had little to do with the bike and it's limitations, or speed and more to do with yours... There are no quicker bikes out there, since the speed has nothing to do with the bike, and all with the rider...

The "Mille" is a very good bike, and in terms of a V-twin it's a definete step up the food chain vs the VTR-F... Not quite to the point of an RC, which is a bit more purpose built for racing only... The Mille will do touriing, and track, both with ease...

There is one little thing I think you should consider though... It's not nearly as forgiving as the VTR... Not even close... The suspension is better, and the engine is more powerful, but the limits are also much, much sharper... Push it, and it will toss you in an instant...

So, with that and your last adventure in mind, I'd advice you to stay well back on the following months to a year on the rides... If you couldn't follow them on the VTR, you certainly can't on the Mille... You have upgraded the bike, now get working on upgrading the rider...
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, sad that you crashed it... But my asessment is that it had little to do with the bike and it's limitations, or speed and more to do with yours... There are no quicker bikes out there, since the speed has nothing to do with the bike, and all with the rider...

The "Mille" is a very good bike, and in terms of a V-twin it's a definete step up the food chain vs the VTR-F... Not quite to the point of an RC, which is a bit more purpose built for racing only... The Mille will do touriing, and track, both with ease...

There is one little thing I think you should consider though... It's not nearly as forgiving as the VTR... Not even close... The suspension is better, and the engine is more powerful, but the limits are also much, much sharper... Push it, and it will toss you in an instant...

So, with that and your last adventure in mind, I'd advice you to stay well back on the following months to a year on the rides... If you couldn't follow them on the VTR, you certainly can't on the Mille... You have upgraded the bike, now get working on upgrading the rider...
It wasn't my intention to blame the bike for the crash with my post You'll notice I said I was riding over my head, not above the limit of the hawk.

I bought an easy to ride 600 class bike for going on those rides and for using at the track...the Mille is for everyday use, and for easy pace rides...I don't plan on pushing it.

The hawk is a good bike if you have to buy two bikes to replace it, or at least that's how I look at it anyway...besides, if I leave it back home it means I can ride it whenever I'm visiting.

Last edited by blamecanada; 09-07-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blamecanada
It wasn't my intention to blame the bike for the crash with my post You'll notice I said I was riding over my head, not above the limit of the hawk.

I bought an easy to ride 600 class bike for going on those rides and for using at the track...the Mille is for everyday use, and for easy pace rides...I don't plan on pushing it.

The hawk is a good bike if you have to buy two bikes to replace it, or at least that's how I look at it anyway...besides, if I leave it back home it means I can ride it whenever I'm visiting.
Noted... However, that would be a waste of a good bike to ride it at an easy pace... My statement still stands, start working on the rider upgrade...

That 600 is a good way to hone the skills, and then you start pushing the Mille... I can promise you, it will be rewarding... It seems to me you made a wise move from what was an accident... Good luck, and don't be a stranger...
Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
The Mille is a great bike. I did hear that some of them had an issue with the gas tank. I read it in a sport rider. I believe the tank was rusting through. Just FYI. Good luck with your new bike.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
riding over your head is easy to do........esp when ego takes over, or get in a hurry, push too much, under the influence, distracted, etc. My record so far of 10 get-offs(2 track and 8 street) is evidence that i made every damn mistake possible and it's only luck that allows me to still be able to throw a leg over today.

Falling off is more than probable if you ride aggressively or what i call in a spirited manner, so, for those of us who are addicted, all we can do is try to learn from each crash and attend to other signals thereof in an effort to avoid repeating the same errors.

glad you're okay.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Sawzall86 is on a distinguished road
Glad you're ok as well.

This post is actually relevant to me right now as I need to consider a replacement to my 'Hawk since I'm fighting to keep the negligent driver that hit me's insurance from totaling my bike after putting more time and money into what it's worth (can't put a price on sentiment, right?). I'm hoping to buy it back for cheap and naked bike it, but I've been considering my options in the mean time since I'll have at least another month of therapy and rehab, with the possibility of surgery on my left hand so I can use it 10 years down the road still

I've considered the Mille R (with high consideration on replacement part cost), RC51 (one close to me for $3k obo, 2000 in race trim, suspension mods, arrow exhaust, SP2 wheels etc. but with rebuilt title), or a friend has an '07 GSXR750 w/ yoshi exhaust, pc3, k&n, basically power mods (he'd sell me for cheap-ish, I replaced the stator and rec/reg for him already ($4500)). Trying to keep a budget under $5k so I have room for suspension improvements first and foremost.

So I guess I can ask, does anyone have any other options to consider that would be both a good daily and an aggressive rider when I want it to be? I don't need a liter bike, which is why I considered my friend's 750 that really only needs a rear shock spring to be set up for my weight. Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Post some pics of the Aprillia!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Superstock

Honestly if you found an RC-51 for three thousand dollars and the frame and everything is straight that's kind of a no brainer IMO...I probably would have gotten an RC over the Mille, but I picked up the Mille for a song in comparison to what used RCs are going for here...

That said, I love this bike so far...just got to test it out for the first time today riding with 8541Hawk and speedkelly.

Last edited by blamecanada; 09-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Bike

Yep. Nick got a great deal on that Ape. ????

Have you checked the CCT's yet nick!!

Here's my Ape. It cost twice as much as nick's bike. And is no faster! WTF!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
Very nice bike there! As others have already said, it's a blessing you're alright and still physicaly and emotionaly able to ride again. As for your toss on the Superchicken, I really can't comment as I wasn't there. There a many factors that can and do lace into any crash, street or track. My only advise (for anyone) would be to spend more time riding than sitting on a forum at your computer. That's how you'll really develop skills and you get to have fun as well! Sweet bike indeed, enjoy it!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
"Here's my Ape. It cost twice as much as nick's bike. And is no faster! WTF!"

One word, Ohlins.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
I had a Tuono Factory, too:

Name:  2000TounoR.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  2000TuonoR2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  173.1 KB

Eventually, I realize 1000cc is way too much to have fun on public roads.
Under $6k, I got 2 SV650s, either can easily do everything for me and still have plenty of engine output to keep up, if not outpace the liter class bikes... and easy at the pump too..

Name:  IMG_5242.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  204.6 KB

Last edited by cat0020; 09-15-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Superstock

SV650

I'm a big fan of Suzuki's little sv650. I've had a bunch of them. Great all round do-it-all bike. I raced a red sv650s like the one in your picture. Also built up a few of the 2nd gen models, with penske rear shocks, re-done front ends and mild tuning. Best bang for your buck bike out there right now. Also, they never break! go forever without valve adjustments, and the clutches are real strong too. I guess I'm a V-twin freak?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Superstock

O? and I thought my bike was rare? 2002 Tuono R! sounds like everyone has one? I still have the stock seats like in your picture. Nice exhaust system you had on her.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
BlameC

I would make sure that the suspension is set properly to you. As I've stated for years, the best mod I ever did was the suspension change on my VTR. Huge difference.

Some bikes U can use the existing set up, but not VTRs

Ohlins & Racetechs = Sweetness