General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Will the Superhawk ever be a collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Squid

Phaedrus is on a distinguished road
Will the Superhawk ever be a collectible?

So, do you think the Honda Superhawk ever be a collectible or a classic someday maybe 20 – 30 years from now? I know it won’t ever be as rare and coveted as a 1953 Vincent Black Shadow, but maybe the Superhawk will one day hold its value or even appreciate like a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, 1969 Honda CB750, 1973 Kawasaki Z1, or a 1975 Norton 850 Commando. It seems to be an under-the-radar cult bike with a growing following.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i dont see why not. the superhawk is definitely a one of a kind bike in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Well....there is one inside the Barber museum
Old 05-21-2009, 12:02 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure it will. Compared to the rest of the 2 wheeled offerings of it's time, it is/was pretty unique. I'd love to have a completely stock '98 as part of a collection.. perhaps in a glass case.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I've kinda wondered about this myself, more along the lines of cult bike status, though. I think about how the 650 Hawk GT held its value, and more, so well for years, and had/has a strong following in some parts of the country .... but on those terms I don't see the VTR making it.

Maybe it has to do with pricing? (Did prices for Japanese bikes shoot up in the 90s?)
Maybe it has to do with production run? (There were a lot more VTRs produced than GTs.)
Maybe it has to do with ridability? (The GT does well in the city and on twisties, for new riders and for veterans.)
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Everythings collectable to the right person.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Squid

dantropolis is on a distinguished road
I think they will be desireable the way any clean, original, early 70's CB has been. I include 750s and 350s etc in that. Yes, the original CB750 changed everything. After that, they were just great, reliable, dime-a-dozen bikes. Did the Hawk really change anything? 996cc V-twin? Sounded familiar at the time, sounds familiar now. Yes, it is more reliable than the Italian 996 but what is sexy or collectible about that?
Also, collectible does not equal valuable. Check ebay for a something like a '73 CB350T or the like. I hope all old Hondas age as gracefully.
Cheers.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
yep, your kids that are old enough to appreciate them now will want one like it in 10-20 yrs from now!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I love old school CBs! Especially the CBX mmmmm
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah... when all bikes are electric powered.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Yeah... when all bikes are electric powered.

That reminds me of another way the VTR might be sought after... it's the last of the Mohican's when it comes to carbureted sport bikes. Why would that be valuable? Ohh yeah, because emission (laws) suck! Every bike from here on out is going to be so tied up with emissions B.S., especially with the new emissions laws on the table. Working on motorcycles is no fun when theres 20' of hose under the tank... damn dirty hippies... Eff'em I say, I'll keep the VTR!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
That reminds me of another way the VTR might be sought after... it's the last of the Mohican's when it comes to carbureted sport bikes. Why would that be valuable? Ohh yeah, because emission (laws) suck! Every bike from here on out is going to be so tied up with emissions B.S., especially with the new emissions laws on the table. Working on motorcycles is no fun when theres 20' of hose under the tank... damn dirty hippies... Eff'em I say, I'll keep the VTR!
+1
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Ppbpbbbbtt. No.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
well from a uniqueness standpoint, the superhawk has the largest carburetor ever put on a production motorcycle. thats something I guess.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
well from a uniqueness standpoint, the superhawk has the largest carburetor ever put on a production motorcycle. thats something I guess.
Honda motorcycle, I am not sure if that holds true across all brands.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I have looked. because I doubted myself. I've never found a "production" bike with a bigger carb. not hardleys, victory, and certainly no jap company. I'm sure you can get an aftermarket carb for some lame *** chopper that is bigger if that's your goal and you consider those things motorcycles, but in the real world as far as I know, there's nothing bigger.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by swordfish
I have looked. because I doubted myself. I've never found a "production" bike with a bigger carb. not hardleys, victory, and certainly no jap company. I'm sure you can get an aftermarket carb for some lame *** chopper that is bigger if that's your goal and you consider those things motorcycles, but in the real world as far as I know, there's nothing bigger.
Well technically the largest production motorcycle in the world is the Boss Hoss, and in some iterations it is carburetted.. So if that thing qualifies as a motorcycle, and as a production one at that.. It'd have the largest carburetor.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
the BOSS HOSS ia a 350 chevy engine.. I disqualify it because of that. Plus they didnt produce enough to be considered "production", did they?

And ALL the Superhawks were carb'd.. not just "some"..
Old 05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Cleveland
the BOSS HOSS ia a 350 chevy engine.. I disqualify it because of that. Plus they didnt produce enough to be considered "production", did they?

And ALL the Superhawks were carb'd.. not just "some"..
By some, I meant depending on model. Just like Honda makes both Superhawks and CBRs the same year where some are carbed and some are Fuel Injected.. Boss Hoss makes some models that are carbed and some that are Fuel Injected. (Boss Hoss is a brand, like Honda, not a particular bike like Superhawk)

We could niggle and make the superhawk the only whatever by making up our own definitions.. But the Boss Hoss brand motorcycles are considered production by the Guinness book of world records.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1070827AAVF6tH

"Confirmed in the Guinness Book of World Records.
The Boss Hoss is a production bike with dealerships located all over the United States. Their BHC-3 ZZ4 SS bike has a dry weight of 1110 pounds. This bike is powered by a Small Block Chevy 350. See second link below.

Boss Hoss used to make an even larger bike powered by a massive 502 cubic inch Big Block Chevy. It was discontinued in after the 2007 model year. It is replaced by the BHC-3 LS2 powered by a Chevy LS2 similar to what is used in a Corvette.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Collectable? Sure! Storage during the time lapse for appreciation becomes the problem. I'd love the own a CB 750 K 'O' with the sand cast cases, but it would have been a PITA to have kept and maintained it for these past fifty years. I doubt the sale price would have covered those costs. And the eventual buyer is always going to want it for less than what you think it is worth.

Collect for love or lust, but don't think the monetary reward is going to be yours. Besides, there is just something unfulfilled about a motorcycle in a display case, not being ridden, it's rubber bits and pieces slowly rotting and oxidizing. God bless every collector who rides to Daytona on antique iron.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I agree with indierocker. It's going to earn a place in history based on it being the last of the carbed, big sportbikes. I also think it will be sought after in the future based on it's relative simplicity. Read the intro section of your Hanes manual (superhawk history) and give it all some thought.

Also there are several folks here who have sold a VTR only to buy one again later because they missed it.

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-21-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Squid

Phaedrus is on a distinguished road
I doubt the Superhawk will ever be considered “Collectible” because in my mind a collectible motorcycle is one that is iconic, a classic legend of an era, recognized by the general public - not just motorcycle enthusiasts, may have paved the way for a whole new class of bikes like an 1981 Katana, or a well known but limited production motorcycle like the Ducata Hailwoods.

However I DO believe the Superhawk will be a “Classic”. I view a classic motorcycle as having some, if not all, of the following characetistics:
- being outstanding in their class
- limited production
- history of popularity among buyers when new
- maybe a flagship or milestone model that offered an introduction to new styling or advanced technology
- maybe some racing history
- reputation as being particularly well-built
- unaffordable to most when new, but highly desired
- increased in popularity after production ended
- buyers like the look, the sound and remember the era - perhaps it was one of the bikes he once owned and wish he’d never sold it
- owner doesn’t necessarily care that the bike is on a collector’s “A list” of appreciating motorcycles
- purchased not so much as an investment, because his dividends are in the form of tinkering with the machine out in the garage, riding it on nice days or just sitting, staring at its beauty like a piece of art with a beer in his hand

Does the Superhawk meet some of those criteria? As some of the other members here pointed out, it’s one of a kind, unique compared to other models available from 1998 – 2005, enjoys a growing cult bike status and considered the “last of the Mohicans”, (well-said inderocker!). There’s even a Superhawk sitting on display in the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum.

Was the VTR1000F ever outstanding in its class, a flagship or milestone model? Was it ever coveted but unaffordable to high school and college students? Is it increasing in popularity since the end of production? I’m not so sure.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Was it ever coveted but unaffordable to high school and college students?
I wanted one even before they were 1st released (while in college), but my poor *** had to wait to buy one used well after production had ceased.

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-21-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Collectibility is in the eye of the beholder - so someone who had a SH and loved it will buy one to keep in the future, or someone who (for their own reasons ) used to lust after one when new and could not afford it, will.

But on any objective view, the SH does not meet classic status, compared with say the following other Hondas:

1. It changed the face of motorcycling (C50 Cub obviously, 1st series CB750, the latter because Honda productionised a number of elements previously really only seen in racers);

2. It was ridiculously complicated and/or expensive when new (CBX6, CX500/650 Turbo);

3. It showed the way for further development and market penetration (C50 again, CB72/77, 1st series XL250).

I love my SH to bits, not least because it is under the radar. But I don't kid myself it's a classic, or ever will be, except to me.