General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Who's never crashed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Originally Posted by swordfish
even if you never make a mistake(unlikely as that is) you don't think anybody on the road with you is gonna screw up? for the rest of your life? really?
Sure, we all make mistakes, but are they the kind of mistakes that cause/lead to a collision/accident?

Again, as I previously stated, it's PROBABLE that everyone will get into an accident, but it's not inescapable.

Rather than saying there are 100 million accidents and 100 million drivers thus everyone will have at least one accident (made up numbers, have no idea what the real stats are), realise that some people have MULTIPLE accidents while others have NONE. (as the various posts in this thread show, some have 1, some have multiple, and some have none)

As long as you ride/drive defensively (and [i]sometimes,[\i] offense is the best defensive tactic), plan your escape routes, and never drive/ride faster than you can see, you can greatly reduce your chances of having an accident/collision to the point where it's PROBABLE that you WON'T ever have an accident/collision.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
shrug. ok. maybe I'm just cynical. I don't think driving defensively (offensively, yes I know what you mean, I do it too) is enough to save you forever. maybe its a difference of enviornment between us. I currently live in the suburbs of chicago. lots of traffic. and chicago drivers suck ***. second only to jersey in the stupid driver dept. sorry if anybody is from either place but its the truth. so compared to where I grew up( backwoods of NY) the odds of me getting killed by other drivers is higher by an order of magnitude. if you drive HERE for long enough someone else WILL cause you to crash. it is a certainty. but if I were back in NY, I could drive for 60 years and never worry about someone else hitting me. hell in all that time you'd probably only SEE 10 cars. when I said back woods, I meant it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
shrug. ok. maybe I'm just cynical. I don't think driving defensively (offensively, yes I know what you mean, I do it too) is enough to save you forever. maybe its a difference of enviornment between us. I currently live in the suburbs of chicago. lots of traffic. and chicago drivers suck ***. second only to jersey in the stupid driver dept. sorry if anybody is from either place but its the truth. so compared to where I grew up( backwoods of NY) the odds of me getting killed by other drivers is higher by an order of magnitude. if you drive HERE for long enough someone else WILL cause you to crash. it is a certainty. but if I were back in NY, I could drive for 60 years and never worry about someone else hitting me. hell in all that time you'd probably only SEE 10 cars. when I said back woods, I meant it.
No offense, but I think that's bullshit. Yes, if you live in a big metro area, your chances of getting wacked increase. I've lived in LA for 30 years. I've ridden 8-10 thousand miles per year on bikes. Half the ******** in LA are recent arrivals from some third world shithole country. Many have no license, no registration, no insurance and not a frickin' clue. I've never been down on the street. Does that mean I'm good? I think so. Does that mean I'm lucky? No question about it.

You create your own luck. If your intention is to ride 'till age 95 without a crash, that's half of it. If you believe, if your intention is that you will get wacked? It is very likely your dream-intention will come true.

What is your intention? What are you telling yourself?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Superstock

I commute 50 miles one way(500 miles a week) in Los Angeles's finest street and freeway traffic.
RK1 more or less stated what I was trying to say in different terms.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
You create your own luck. If your intention is to ride 'till age 95 without a crash, that's half of it. If you believe, if your intention is that you will get wacked? It is very likely your dream-intention will come true.

What is your intention? What are you telling yourself?
I always think in the back of my mind that I could crash any second. But I don't want to so I constantly evaluate risks while on the bike. I ride scared, if the joy of riding wasn't enough to outweigh my fear it would be too frightening to do.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
There are ads in the Cycle Trader every week with someone selling "bike, helmet and jacket". This has been the case since the inception of the Cycle Trader.

You know that the owner of that bike went down or had a close call. Maybe not even injured, but scared enough that they will never ride again and want to sell everything. It takes a certain type of person to be a real motorcyclist. It is a risk activity, and I tell that to anyone who says they want to buy a motorcycle for the first time.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
SuperSport

"You create your own luck. If your intention is to ride 'till age 95 without a crash, that's half of it. If you believe, if your intention is that you will get wacked? It is very likely your dream-intention will come true.

What is your intention? What are you telling yourself?"

now that is so much bullshit.
I won't argue that having a positive attitude is a good thing. but to say that it has any significant influence on whether you crash given all the other factors(stupid drivers being the main one) is rediculous and dangerously naive. if you encounter 99 cars on the way to work every day, then just between you and them, you only have a 1% say in what happens to you that morning. not to mention road conditions, but you think possitive all you want, I'm sure it'll create a forcefield of good intentions around you and you bike. as for myself, I'm not going to put my faith in, "I think I can I think I can..." accepting the likelyhood that someday you will crash is not going to make you crash. just like thinking you won't isn't going to keep you alive. get real. too many kids movies or something.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
MotoGP

A retired administrator, who was a friend of mine, at Garden Grove Unified School District belonged to a Winger riding group for many years.

Several years ago he told me of one of his friends, who had ridden for over 50 years and close to 1 million miles without an accident all over the United States. He was riding his Gold Wing up the 91 freeway towards Corona when a piece of plywood came flying out of an open pickup bed and nailed him. He crashed and died.

Everyone knows not to ride behind a car with a mattress tied to the roof or a truck with a ladder rack, but since I heard of this one I don't even ride behind pickups with seemingly empty beds. You never know.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Superstock

I've had to dodge so much crap falling out of truck beds or car trunks that are open(kitchen cabinets, rakes, ladders, Garden hoses, 35 ft of chain, bricks,you name it).

One of the reasons I don't follow closely, and if at all possible, be in another lane left/right.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Ride with fear and respect and you will develop the skills and mental ability to SIPDE (scan, interpret, predict, decide, and execute). The more you ride the better you get. And if you ride regularly even through the winter months in varying conditions your skills will not fade. Just watch out for other riders who don't, pick your riding buddies carefully. My risk assessments start way before I even pull the bike out. I consider my destination (what are the conditions of traffic, weather, roads), time of day, my current mental state (distracted, aggrevated, tired, hopped up on caffeine, or drunk). I even go as far as making sure I've taken a dump recently for 2 reasons- I will be uncomfortable if I gotta go and if something bad happens, I don't want to be stuck on a backboard in a hospital with no way of losing that big steak dinner from the night before. The more you train yourself to manage risks (operational risk management in the military) the less mishaps you will have. And when the unavoidable incident occurrs, you should be prepared for it (proper gear) so the sustained damage is minimized. Survival of the fittest...
Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
"You create your own luck. If your intention is to ride 'till age 95 without a crash, that's half of it. If you believe, if your intention is that you will get wacked? It is very likely your dream-intention will come true.

What is your intention? What are you telling yourself?"

now that is so much bullshit.
I won't argue that having a positive attitude is a good thing. but to say that it has any significant influence on whether you crash given all the other factors(stupid drivers being the main one) is rediculous and dangerously naive. if you encounter 99 cars on the way to work every day, then just between you and them, you only have a 1% say in what happens to you that morning. not to mention road conditions, but you think possitive all you want, I'm sure it'll create a forcefield of good intentions around you and you bike. as for myself, I'm not going to put my faith in, "I think I can I think I can..." accepting the likelyhood that someday you will crash is not going to make you crash. just like thinking you won't isn't going to keep you alive. get real. too many kids movies or something.
Ha! You are attributing to me the idea that "don't worry, be happy" makes you crash proof. I haven't posted that and don't believe that.

I'm saying there are a lot of aspects to riding crashless for a long time or even a lifetime. One is mindset. If you insist on telling yourself that crashing is inevitable I believe it is more likely that you will crash.

I accept the possibility that I might crash, not the "likelyhood". And I sure don't think of it as inevitable.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the concept, even get upset and insulted by it.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Let's put it this way. I think some of you are arguing semantics.

There's only ONE person who's looking out for you and keeping you upright. Yourself. So ride like you're invisible, have foresight, and don't think about crashing or all the excuses you might have for going down. And if you do, learn from it. Don't be like 90% of the guys on the rides I go on, they blame the sand, the other cars, the cold tires, bla bla bla. Nobody says they were riding too fast or pushing too hard, that would imply they could've prevented it.

Thinking you don't control your own fate reminds me of the Hardley rider with no helmet or jacket that says, "when it's your time, its your time."

I accept the fact that I might crash or be hurt, or die, and while riding I try to prevent that. It's irresponsible to think otherwise, especially if you have others depending on you.

When I take my car to the race track, I accept that I may return home with a hunk of melted plastic and steel, because I know insurance isn't going to cover it.

If you're not prepared for the consequences, then don't turn the key.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 02-12-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
I've read a lot of good points in this thread and a lot of stupid ones. Forgive my laziness I really don't want to quote them all. Only tidbit I could offer that would appease both sides of the argument is it's not always about how good/experienced/defensive/offensive/safe rider YOU are. Are you confident in the abilities of the strangers driving around you? I'm a Firefighter/EMT and more often than not most motorcycle accidents I've responded to have been caused by OTHER PEOPLE. Of course you going to have your 10% of idiots on the street on their motorcycles, but when you add your everyday commuter to the other 90% safe drivers out there concerned with kids in the back seat, cell phones ringing, reading a newspaper, Speaking to the passengers in their car, mishaps are bound to happen.

I more than trust my abilities as a rider, I'm learning every day, but I in no way shape or form trust the people around me while I'm riding.

I have never recieved a speeding ticket, and I have never been in a wreck on 2 wheels or 4. But I also was raised in a rural area, I'm sure in a bigger city I might have wrecked due to someone elses negligence or my own.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
It's funny to even try to argue this.
I see what you mean.

"If you insist on telling yourself that crashing is inevitable I believe it is more likely that you will crash."

I'm not saying you should convice yourself that today, you are gonna crash. or tomorrow you will crash. but eventually, statistically, its almost a certainty. might as well get used to the idea. personally, on the street I have only gone down once. I rode on the street for 5 years before it happened and its been 5 more since. I don't expect to crash every time I ride. I have faith in my abilities. but I don't have faith in every other person on the road. and sadly, they have a say in whether I crash or not. so the best I can say is if I crash, it won't be my fault. but I will be damn surprised if I don't go down a few more times before I'm done. you take whatever mindset works for you. nobody is changing any minds here anyway. I'm out.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I used to ride close to 100% of my skill level and would race anybody anytime, and I engaged in multiple other high risk activities as well(kinda had a death wish I guess).

Many destroyed bikes and cars, lots of injuries, dumbshit behaviors, and four kids later, i discovered the error of that mindset. I learned to ride and manage risks at much less than the previous "***** to the wall" riding/living. Today I ride at more like 75% of what I'd like to since I realize that road riding is much more hazardous than track racing where you actually can get away with riding at closer to 100% with relative safety. The biggest mitigating factors on the road being oncoming traffic, bridge abutments, trees, signs, guardrails, other drivers, etc.

Riding below maximum velocity along with many other strategies(enough to fill several chapters of a book) seems to have made riding a more calculating and introspective pursuit. That said, I still have mishaps and crashes(3 since 2001), mostly from sliding on road debrie, because I do like trying to wear the sides of my tires out before the middles. The road debrie hazards could be reduced by what i refer to as clearing every road you ride, however, I usually don't do this. I also realize that death or serious injury is part of the deal and each day I make it back alive is a result of my experience coupled equal amounts good fortune, and evidently, this risk is acceptable.

Last edited by nath981; 02-14-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
I drive my car/truck because I have to get from point A to point B. Since I bought my first bike at 16, I cannot remember getting into my car just to go for a drive.

I ride my bike because I love to. There a very few people who can afford the performance we get from our bikes in the comfort of a cage. The danger and excitement are part of the package. I have never driven my truck to work and detoured to hit some twisties. I can't ever recall planning a bike trip and not trying to hit as many enjoyable roads as possible.

I do not ever plan to get in an accident in my car/truck and the possibility is far lower than my bike because I drive out of necessity. The fact that some of us ride to enjoy the power to weight of an F1 car, the cornering ability limited only by the size of your nuts and the knowledge that 99.9% of the population think we are bonkers means we ARE more likely to have an accident than the average driver.

We just don't like to think or be told about it.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:30 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bowhawk
The fact that some of us ride to enjoy the power to weight of an F1 car, the cornering ability limited only by the size of your nuts and the knowledge that 99.9% of the population think we are bonkers means we ARE more likely to have an accident than the average driver.

We just don't like to think or be told about it.
well said bowhawk! This is doubly true for new riders. For this reason, I always offer to teach new riders basic skills and comon hazards that have befallen all of us who have learned and still are learning from the school of hard knocks.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Squid

tromo01 is on a distinguished road
ive been down twice...one at 30mph and just last week at 60mph...walked away from both. the funny thing is that the one at 30mph caused more damage to the bike
Old 04-11-2009, 12:20 AM
chopped and screwed
Squid

fighter hawk is on a distinguished road
I have been riding since i was little and on the streets for 11 years i went down for the first time in a hit and run 2 days ago i ride cautiously and went down on my head and the *** hole took off. so i can not say i qualify any more.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:16 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
I didnt crash, I slid gracefully into the flowers like superman.

scratched up some borrowed Dianeese leathers though...

"The faster you go, the safer you are ..."

" cop cars only go 130 "

" I like going fast enough to look chinese"

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 04-11-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 AM
chopped and screwed
Squid

fighter hawk is on a distinguished road
LIAR!!! the less cars on the same road as you, the safer you are!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:41 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
All I got to say is ... if you dont know that turning the bars left makes the bike lean and turn right , and vice versa , then you need to ride dirt bikes longer before venturing out on the road.
My 1st road race I learned, only when the guys were laughing at me and saying I looked like I was on a sunday ride. They gave me the counter-steering baptism...
and I rode faster and faster from that point on.
If you are riding on the street, and you havent learned this about steering yet, it may save your life.
(heaven forbid you are still trying to "balance" the bike when turning)
- over 15 mph, there is no "balance" , lol. Its all in the handle bars.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 AM
MotoGP

My mentor, a welder/bike shop owner/mechanic who sold and worked on nortons, bsa, & bmw taught me this way: Nathaniel!!!! Grab the bull by the horns, turn his head to the right hard and the bull falls on his left side. NOW GO LIKE HELL!!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
I've never been down. I was almost crushed between 2 cars at a red light a few weeks ago in the rain though. Luckily for me I was a couple cars back and heard frantic honking and when I looked behind me a Ford Explorer was sliding at me sideways and hitting his horn frantically. I was able to pull forward between the stopped cars between lanes and he came to a stop about an inch back from the bumper of the car that was in front of me. Dodged a bullet on that one cuz that one would have hurt.
________
Vapor Buddy Pipe

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
SuperSport

Wow, close call.

I tempted fate a little with 2500 miles of riding last week. A good bit of it was in the pouring rain in the dark, and lane splitting on the 405, which seemed like it'd never end. Hard to tell if they're trying to squish you intentionally, or just weaving and inattentive. I think my boot on his hood made it clear.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
I plowed into a deer on my old VFR, but I didn't lay it down. Does that count as a crash?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
SuperSport

Only for the deer.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Been following this thread and decided to add my 2 cents.I'm 50 and have owned/ridden too many bikes to remember.Had a couple of low-sides when I was a kid and have "got lucky" so many times that I don't have enough fingers and toes to count 'em all. To me, riding bikes is an acceptable risk.I do what I can to lessen/manage that risk.Never think I will/won't crash,just enjoy my sport and want to be the oldest rider in Coddington county someday. My ambition is to be 80 and have the young bucks saying, "look at that wrinkled old bastard,bet he can't even swing his leg over that bike" and then show 'em nothing but my tail light.
I will say that the older I get,the less inclined I am to take huge risks.Maybe age gives one a "sense of your own mortality". I still like to ride WFO on occasion,but choose when and where based on my experience.So far,so good....
Old 04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Only for the deer.
hehehe
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Malice
I've never been down. I was almost crushed between 2 cars at a red light a few weeks ago in the rain though. Luckily for me I was a couple cars back and heard frantic honking and when I looked behind me a Ford Explorer was sliding at me sideways and hitting his horn frantically. I was able to pull forward between the stopped cars between lanes and he came to a stop about an inch back from the bumper of the car that was in front of me. Dodged a bullet on that one cuz that one would have hurt.
Good argument for lane splitting. Same thing happened to me in 1981, but it wasn't raining and I'd already begun to split when the car I had been behind was nailed in the rear.

Quick Reply: Who's never crashed?